Benevides

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

I want to give some kudos to Mike Benevides.

Where Dave Ritchie's defense is getting all the accolades and attention, one little thing that is seeming to go under the radar is our special teams.

I can't remember when I have been this excited about special teams. When our special teams comes out onto the field, if it is for a punt or a field goal I am confident. If it is for a punt/kickoff or even an opposition field goal I am on the edge of my seat because this team can make things happen.

A prime example of this isn't so much the blocked field goal attempt by Wake, IMHO, but is best exemplified by the onside kick attempt by the Stamps that was executed flawlessly by the Lions. I'm not sure you could draw it up anymore perfectly than it was executed tonight. There was no concern, no worry, no holding of the breath. It was just executed perfectly. When things look that easy you know that your Special Teams coach is being given the proper time to practice things, and the players are buying into the system.

Great work Benevides ... :rockin: :rockin:
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:I want to give some kudos to Mike Benevides.

Where Dave Ritchie's defense is getting all the accolades and attention, one little thing that is seeming to go under the radar is our special teams.

I can't remember when I have been this excited about special teams. When our special teams comes out onto the field, if it is for a punt or a field goal I am confident. If it is for a punt/kickoff or even an opposition field goal I am on the edge of my seat because this team can make things happen.

A prime example of this isn't so much the blocked field goal attempt by Wake, IMHO, but is best exemplified by the onside kick attempt by the Stamps that was executed flawlessly by the Lions. I'm not sure you could draw it up anymore perfectly than it was executed tonight. There was no concern, no worry, no holding of the breath. It was just executed perfectly. When things look that easy you know that your Special Teams coach is being given the proper time to practice things, and the players are buying into the system.

:whs: I like his fire on the sidelines and it seems the Lions have gotten at least 1 big special teams play a game :thup: :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
notahomer
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:...

I can't remember when I have been this excited about special teams....

Yes, thats what I've been thinking too. Our special teams has done some pretty important things at crucial points of games this season.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Special teams are by far the finest component of this team at the moment.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Benevides moves his key personnel around on special teams. We know that Barron Miles will probe a kicking team for a weak spot but this time Wake just beat his man and shot a gap on the line. Often he lines up behind the defensive line and uses his leaping ability to try to block a kick at the line of scrimmage. I'm still waiting for him to get one that way, as Ray Alexander did in the 1994 WDF.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, Benevides deserves a lot of praise for the quality of the STs play!!!

BC Fan ... the Ray Alexander block on that FG is one play I won't ever forget as I wont that entire series to knock off the Stamps in the 94 WDF!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

lion24 wrote:
LFITQ wrote:I want to give some kudos to Mike Benevides.

:whs: I like his fire on the sidelines and it seems the Lions have gotten at least 1 big special teams play a game :thup: :thup:
Agreed. The blocked field goal last night :wink: :rockin:
Lets Go Lions!