B.C.'s new quarterback

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And here are 2 more names from that list that you will recogize.

Rank Player Year School Height Weight

12 Stefan LeFors Sr. Louisville 6-0 200

26 Timmy Chang Sr. Hawaii 6-2 200
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blue's pivot drama lessens
Dinwiddie makes camp commitment

Tue Mar 20 2007

By Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press

PENCIL Ryan Dinwiddie back onto the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' depth chart, but do it in pencil.
And be sure to have a big, fat eraser handy.

Dinwiddie's somewhat bizarre off-season tale took another twist over the weekend when the Bomber backup quarterback told the club he would be in Winnipeg for the opening of training camp in June.

You may recall Dinwiddie signed with the Arena Football League's Arizona Rattlers this winter, despite still being under contract to the Bombers. He then told The Arizona Republic in February he had no desire to return to Canada.

Meanwhile, even though CFL executives insisted last month a deal with the Arena League over honouring contracts was imminent, nothing has yet been announced.

"The whole Arena League thing is still a muddied issue," said Bomber GM Brendan Taman on Monday. "My next step is to call Arizona and just get a feel for what they're thinking. It's like, 'OK, if (Dinwiddie) means this much to you we need to have a discussion, because I want him here June 1 or before that.'
"But Ryan and I had a good, long talk and he made a commitment from his end to honour (the contract). I'll be very surprised if he's not in our camp with us. That's one worry out of the way... we've still got to get him here, but it's his intent to be here.

"It's good to have a guy who has been in your system back for your camp."

The Bombers currently have just Kevin Glenn and rookie Justin Holland committed to report to camp while free agent Brad Banks has an offer from the team.

"I made Brad an offer that could fit into our (salary management system)," said Taman. "Now we'll just have to see if it's something he wants to do. I will continue to look for other people and if I have to bring six quarterbacks into camp, I'll bring six. I think five is certainly realistic."

One of the prospects the Bombers had hoped to sign -- former University of Cincinnati star Gino Guidugli -- was scooped up by the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europa. The team will now wait until after next month's NFL draft before signing another rookie pivot.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Guidugli ... No idea how to pronounce that one. Good luck announcers
Blitz
Team Captain

A couple of quarterbacks I would like the Leos to get up here and have a good look at next season is Jared Zabransky of Boise State or Zak Taylor from Nebraska.

Another good choice might be Drew Olson, who played at UCLA.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Guidugli ... No idea how to pronounce that one. Good luck announcers
Looks Italian so I guess the 2nd g is silent... I'm guessing it's something like either: jeh DOO lee, or: joo DOO lee
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Guidugli ... No idea how to pronounce that one. Good luck announcers
It's pronounced Godugly. Well, I hope not though.. :cr: 8)
PierceFan23
prospect

Bless are the loose cannons, for they will at least make for good press and good discussion. We have a previous history of being able to sort the wheat from the chaff so I'd have faith..even if B-Mac and Rintoul might butcher his name for a day or three..
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Blue In BC wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Seems the word on him in college is that he he is a loose cannon, good ability, but makes poor football decisions.
Do we really need a guy that's a loose cannon and makes poor football decisions ?
The coaches are responsible for teaching him not to make poor decisions, but 47 INT'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets Go Lions!
David
Team Captain

I had a "spy" just return from practice. Guidugli looked really sharp! He ran about 10-15 running plays and threw about 15 passes. He threw the long ball well (and accurately) as well as short and intermediate routes.

"He looks like a real find. I thought he'd just be looking on for a couple of days but they threw him into the fire and he performed really well. This looks like a really good pick-up by the Lions. Winnipeg wanted him really badly earlier this year but weren't able to sign him."

Gino's had experience at NFL camps and Arena ball where he's had to release the ball quickly, so this should help him in his audition with the Lions.

Of course, this is just someone's opinion (whom I respect) on Day 1. Who knows how he'd perform when the bullets are flying in a real game? But it's an encouraging start!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I had a "spy" just return from practice. Guidugli looked really sharp! He ran about 10-15 running plays and threw about 15 passes. He threw the long ball well (and accurately) as well as short and intermediate routes.

"He looks like a real find. I thought he'd just be looking on for a couple of days but they threw him into the fire and he performed really well. This looks like a really good pick-up by the Lions. Winnipeg wanted him really badly earlier this year but weren't able to sign him."

Gino's had experience at NFL camps and Arena ball where he's had to release the ball quickly, so this should help him in his audition with the Lions.

Of course, this is just someone's opinion (whom I respect) on Day 1. Who knows how he'd perform when the bullets are flying in a real game? But it's an encouraging start!

DH 8)
That is all we can ask of him at this point. If his arm is good his size is a bonus, alot harder to bring down a guy his size and he doesn't have to find lanes between the OL in order to throw the ball as much as DD. Hopefully we don't have to find out how good he is in a game though. :cr:
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Sounds good David, but will he see any action anytime soon?

I'm not so sure that even if Buck goes and JJ becomes ineffective we won't see Guidugli for quite sometime (I'll be exceptionally surprised if he sees the field at all on Saturday - rightfully so too). It will probably be later into the season if we see him. I think right now he will be a non-issue until at the very latest after Labour day.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
David
Team Captain

My understanding is that they're bringing him to Calgary as the 3rd QB, LFITQ.

However, I think both Buck and Jarious would have to be carted off the field on stretchers à la Joe Smith before Gino would be sent into a live huddle - at least in the short term.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:Sounds good David, but will he see any action anytime soon?

I'm not so sure that even if Buck goes and JJ becomes ineffective we won't see Guidugli for quite sometime (I'll be exceptionally surprised if he sees the field at all on Saturday - rightfully so too). It will probably be later into the season if we see him. I think right now he will be a non-issue until at the very latest after Labour day.
DD may be back by then, hopefully we don't see Guidugli at all this season and just see his potential in TC 08.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
LFITQ wrote:Sounds good David, but will he see any action anytime soon?

DD may be back by then, hopefully we don't see Guidugli at all this season and just see his potential in TC 08.
Will he stick around that long? Apparently he left the AFL2 for a "better" situation and if he wants to get into the NFL again, is it better for him to be in the CFL as a 4th stringer (once DD gets healthier) or playing in the AFL2? I wouldn't be surprised that if DD is coming back Guidugli leaves town.

However, the conspiracy theorist in me probably is thinking he was brought in because Wally knows DD is done and isn't coming back. Last week might have been the litmus test to see how he was feeling, that's why Guidugli wasn't brought in sooner.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

or playing in the AFL2?
Maybe he sees this as a better opportunity as Wally has a great trck record with QB's. The af2 regualr season is over this weekend, so at worse he is only missing 1 or 2 af2 games.
I have my head up my butt - 120db