Expansion

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

Do you think that the NHL will expand to 32 teams within the next 5 years?(perhaps Slim Jim Ballsillie will get his NHL team)((id like to add that we need an owner like Ballsillie. He drove the price up of NHL franchises and putting a team in Southern Ontario where the sport is a hockey hotbed. Also he will care about the team and invest a lot into it brining in great talent!) How about the NBA?. I was thinking that once 2010 is over we may get another NBA Team, but that could be a dream, and another story.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

There are too many markets right now where teams are struggling to consider expanding again. Franchises should be on a solid footing before adding new ones. Otherwise we will have more Nashvilles and Florida's where fishing shows outdraw the games. The talent pool is pretty diluted as well and adding more teams won't help that. As far as the NBA is concerned. I couldn't care if another NBA team ever comes to Canada.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Supersonicsfreak
Rookie

OMG, I opened this thread thinking you were going to talk about future CFL expansion (even though it's unlikely) and you're talking about stupid hockey. Remember this is a football board!
Rammer
Team Captain

Supersonicsfreak wrote:OMG, I opened this thread thinking you were going to talk about future CFL expansion (even though it's unlikely) and you're talking about stupid hockey. Remember this is a football board!
You have switched forums and are in a open sports forum, not the CFL football forum. We even occasionally discuss the Supersonics here, when the occasion arises.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
You have switched forums and are in a open sports forum, not the CFL football forum. We even occasionally discuss the Oklahoma City Supersonics here, when the occasion arises.
Fixed.
Rammer
Team Captain

:lol: Now I see what I mean. 8)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

I don't think they will expand, but i think some teams may relocate. I hope teams like Phoenix & Florida etc.
Lets Go Lions!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Let's hope not. As it stands now we don't get to see all the teams in the Eastern Conference at least once in a season. Any further expansion may mean we may get to see superstars play in Vancouver once in their career. :roll:
LFITQ
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Let's hope not. As it stands now we don't get to see all the teams in the Eastern Conference at least once in a season. Any further expansion may mean we may get to see superstars play in Vancouver once in their career. :roll:
If Bettman has his way you would NEVER see superstars play in Vancouver.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Wally!
Starter

I think Bettman and the owners will push to expand before the current CBA expires so that the owners get all the expansion monies. Expansion fees are not part of hockey revenue under this CBA and the players wouldn't get squat. Look for that to change in the next CBA. So, the owners being the greedy lot that they are, will look to expand before the current CBA expires maximizing their free cash entitlement.
maddeep73
Champion

There are too many markets right now where teams are struggling to consider expanding again. Franchises should be on a solid footing before adding new ones. Otherwise we will have more Nashvilles and Florida's where fishing shows outdraw the games. The talent pool is pretty diluted as well and adding more teams won't help that.
This is the correct argument for why they shouldn't. Not to mention the lack of a T.V. deal...

However, this is the NHL, the owners are all about short term cash and 'worry about it later'. It would be disasterous to expand while Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Atlanta et al. struggle but this hasn't fazed the owners before.
Keepin' it real