Fifa U-20 World Cup

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Ok you soccer hooligans, who can help me out here.

Can you buy tickets to just one of the matches or do you have to buy the double header packages?

Not sure my girls will be able to sit there for 1 whole let alone 2 games. I also see there is no re-entry so it's not like we can go and come back.

Ticketmaster seems to only allow for the doubleheader package.

Secondly, I have never sat in Swangard so what seats are decent? Can you easily get by with the cheap seats? Anyone who was at Abbotsford for Fanfest, is Swangard similar to that?

Any help appreciated
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Yes actually Swangard is quite similar to Abbotsfords stadium (rotary I think it's called).
They have tracks around them so your that much farther back from the side lines.

I go to a few Whitecaps games every year and usually sit near the middle, 20 rows up. It's like any stadium in that the higher up you go the better you can see the other side of the field.
I also like going behind the net on field level to be close to the action. Not sure this can be done for the FIFAU20 games though.
The west grandstand at Swangard isn't all that big I would guess maybe 30 rows tops.
Looks like the temporary grandstand on the east side will actually be bigger, about 6,ooo.

As for the double bill yes it looks like that's how the games are packaged together. I bought my tickets on line and there was no option for just 1 of the 2 games.
I was also disappointed to see NO re-entry, will make for a long day.
But it should be great soccer, I am looking forward to it.
I was reading about Spain on FIFA.com and they come pretty highly touted
Bighill is Badass
MacNews
Team Captain

AC/DCrocks wrote:I was reading about Spain on FIFA.com and they come pretty highly touted
A Province article was saying they are like the Canada of soccer, with their talent they could field two competitive junior teams.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

found this link on Whitecaps.com
Shaping up nicely :thup:
[web]http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-jun ... jun-27.htm[/web]
Bighill is Badass
LFITQ
Team Captain

Nice find Ac/DC That gives an awesome view of the seats.

Looks liek for proximity to the playing field the temp stands are the place to be, where as if you are worried about the cover you go to the more permanent seats that are under cover, a nice diversity. And based on that not sure if there is really a bad seat in the house, so long as you are higher up.

Now to convince the wife that this would be a good family outing ...
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Yeah the temp. stands are a lot closer, that's my only complaint when I sit in the permanent grandstand, is the added distance back from the track.
But Swangard is an older stadium and wasn't built soccer specific.

The first 5 rows or so are not completely covered by the roof so keep that in mind.

Have fun if you come down, if I see you I'll say Hi!
Bighill is Badass
LFITQ
Team Captain

Have fun if you come down, if I see you I'll say Hi!
You'll be seeing me at the Lions home opener the night before for certain, unless you ain't coming??!!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Got an email that a BC University team was to meet Spain at BCIT at 5 pm last night. Spanish Tech director said no to the game due either to grass length - too long or field conditions.

It is sad that no one has told the young local kids /coaches where teams like are this are training and when. I don't want to hear security - heard that today already.

I did watch Spain play an intra-squad match and that was nice to see. Some very nice players, nice possession and ball control and great crosses! Some of the usual doing too much with the ball solo but it was training. I found it odd that the Spanish coach said nothing when a defender did his terrific wide left player only to have another defender 2 minutes do another guy with a bad tackle. I know that this is a team tossed together for the tourney but that is a bit odd for me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Heading off to Swangard
If your in the area and have nothing else to do why not check it out and let's make it a sell out! :canada:

I heard to go early because of the security checks.
Bighill is Badass
nelson95
Legend

Good beer
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Rammer
Team Captain

Well Canada took one on the chin last night with a 3 - 0 loss. They are the only country in the world that holds a tournament and places themselves against the toughest opposition first in their pool. Chile had an unbelievable pace throughout the match, coupled with terrific ball skill on the artificial turf. On top of the result were the numerous yellow cards collected by Canada, that is going to catch up with us as this tournament progresses, if not in the opening round draws.....sigh.
Entertainment value = an all time low
footy
All Star

Tough loss for Canada but I think playing at Commenwealth for their next game against Austria will help out. Go Canada :beer:
Rammer
Team Captain

footy wrote:Tough loss for Canada but I think playing at Commenwealth for their next game against Austria will help out. Go Canada :beer:
I like the idea of playing on a grass field, but I again question why Canada has to travel the country while the Austrians got their first match at CW and are sitting back waiting for us to arrive.....strange, only in Canada.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
footy wrote:Tough loss for Canada but I think playing at Commenwealth for their next game against Austria will help out. Go Canada :beer:
I like the idea of playing on a grass field, but I again question why Canada has to travel the country while the Austrians got their first match at CW and are sitting back waiting for us to arrive.....strange, only in Canada.
Not sure of the field allocation process but I do know the groupings were decided by the draw.

I suspect the Canadians wanted to play at Commonwealth as they get good crowds in Edmonton and it holds the most fans. I also suspect that they wanted the Canadian side to open in Canada's latest and greatest stadium BMO field in Toronto which is the flagship of stadia for soccer in Canada - thus the need for travel.

This Canadian team for the most part is outclassed in this tourney. If there was a chance to snag a win or draw, this game is the one to do it in.

Vs Chile they simply chased the game for most of the 90 minutes. Canada opened nicely and moved the ball around like they were there to play soccer the way the game is to be played. Possession!!! Then it became kick after kick downfield to unsupported players. That is not the way to play if you want to be the best. Canada has to decide to play soccer. The US did in World Cup mostly (except two cups ago when they played 5 D but that coach is gone).

To beat the Chiles of the world with their superior ball and passing skills is to keep in the game for as long as possible and that means you have to possess the ball and be patient. Take what you can get. Use the flanks and mark up and keep your shape.

That Canadian side vs Chile had little shape, guys ball watching, checking forwards from the outside in (wrong side) and keep wellying the ball up the park with 50-50 balls that turned out mostly to be 60/40 for Chile. If they can stay in these games the Chileans who took 30 meter shots to no avail early will start to panic as the game wears on and some of this latin sides get heated and start battling each other for selfish play. That is the recipe to win against these better sides.

It is clear that Canada is not a team with experience playing together but a collection of good individuals. It is also clear that Canadian soccer will not progress unless we try and play the game from the back to the front as it is meant and not just that same old - get it into the attacking third as fast as possible as the stats show this is how you score. Dale Mitchell came from that era as a national team player although he as a MF was one of the best ever players and when he played for the 86ers they were great under Bobby Lennarduzzi but when Bobby went to coach the national team he dropped that idea and went to the idea of punting it downfield at every step of the way. I also recall Bobby telling one of the most brilliant MFers, Jim Easton that he didn't put him in a national game as the game didn't need his skill. Translation - he'd have been getting neck strain watching the ball fly over his head from the GK.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

The groupoing that Canada is in is not in question, it is the order that they are playing the teams within their group. Why play Chile first (recogninzed as the most difficult team to play in our group), why not start off against Austria and build towards Chile. Why bother playing at different venues, we are a large country take advantage of that amd make the opposition travel, and play in Edmonton is ideal. Higher altitude, grass field and generally large support.

If I am hosting a tournament on this scale, I would be taking every angle that I could to help get my team into the next round and beyond.