NLL Approves Vancouver Return...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Black99GT

http://www.sportsnet.ca/lacrosse/articl ... 25343_6396

as long as they can get an arena lease and 2,500 season tickets sold...Lacrosse will be back in Vancouver.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Didn't the Ravens fold because of lack of fan support ? So what has changed ? Is there a pent up demand for lacrosse ?
Balraj
All Star

i bet the pacific coliseum will be a better site than gm place and might even be cheaper.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Didn't the Ravens fold because of lack of fan support ? So what has changed ? Is there a pent up demand for lacrosse ?
Lack of ownership is what did the Ravens in. I would welcome another lacrosse franchise in Vancouver. I still think that GM Place would be the ideal location.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Lacrosse has been booming as a youth participation sport, but I'm still not convinced that it will work in every market at the pro level. Just like with soccer, there are all kinds of parents who are happy to take Junior to his local minor lacrosse game, but who aren't all that interested in driving downtown and laying out $20-$25 a ticket to see a pro version played by guys they have never heard of. In Vancouver, this is compounded by the fact that you are asking fans to pay $25 to see the exact same players who play in the WLA in the summer at $10 a ticket.

The NLL also suffers from a seasonal problem. Lacrosse is traditionally a Spring/Summer sport in Canada, yet the NLL goes head to head with hockey in the winter.

If they have a business model that can see them surviving on less than full houses and relatively cheap tickets, then they might be OK. If they think that they are going to get 15,000 a night, though, and have all those fans paying full price for their tickets, I think they're dreaming.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

In Vancouver, this is compounded by the fact that you are asking fans to pay $25 to see the exact same players who play in the WLA in the summer at $10 a ticket.
Thats my issue with it. I probably go to at least a dozen or so WLA games each summer and have since I first moved to the North Shore from the States about 8 years ago. but I never went to a Ravens game.

Why would I pay 3-4 times the cost for a ticket plus parking or deal with getting downtown when I could walk 5 min, pay 10 bucks and get a close up great seat and watch the Gait brothers etc play.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yank In BC wrote:
In Vancouver, this is compounded by the fact that you are asking fans to pay $25 to see the exact same players who play in the WLA in the summer at $10 a ticket.
Thats my issue with it. I probably go to at least a dozen or so WLA games each summer and have since I first moved to the North Shore from the States about 8 years ago. but I never went to a Ravens game.

Why would I pay 3-4 times the cost for a ticket plus parking or deal with getting downtown when I could walk 5 min, pay 10 bucks and get a close up great seat and watch the Gait brothers etc play.
Bingo!

If WLA arenas were crammed to watch the same talent it would have a chance. They simply are not and the people who do follow senior lacrosse closely in the Lower Mainland know they are watching the same players in the NLL for double or triple the price.

The best place to watch lacrosse in the LM is on the wooden floor at Queen's Park Arena. Just a great historic building.

The NLL would have a better chance in Victoria where the Shamrocks always draw well but I don't think Save On Foods Arena is up to NLL capacity standards.

They also have to convince Toigo to share the Coliseum during the Giants season since he has spent a lot of his own cash making improvements in there. I thought this was one of the stumbling blocks that sank the team the last time.
Deep_Threat
prospect

I can't wait for the Ravens I will buy season tickets aswell once the whitecaps have a new home I will buy season tickets for them to!
Level 2 Sec 48 Row C Seat 109
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

the only one i went to i got a lacrosse stick from the mascot lol
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Well they got GM Place & sold the tickets!!! Woohoo. Welcome back Ravens
Lets Go Lions!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

The only article I can find is saying they didn't get it done in time.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/lacrosse/articl ... 33132_4988
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

yep, last i heard there will be no NLL in vancouver for a while if ever...doesn't bother me as i'm not a huge fan of the NLL. i'd probably take in the occasional game or two.