Mike Keenan is back !

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like Iron Man Mike is returning to the coaching fraternity. Wonder how long it's going to take him to wear out the welcome mat.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210749&hubname=
Soundy
Hall of Famer

First day of training camp?

Seriously... yeah, the man has an overall winning record as a head coach... yeah, he brought the Rangers to the cup in '94 (grumble, grumble)... what has he done since then besides drive teams into the ground? Just look at his last act as Panthers GM, going behind ownership's back to move Luongo (not that WE'RE upset about that, but holy geez did the *poop* hit the fan in Miami!).

Then again, maybe if they just keep him behind the bench and out of the front office...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Rammer
Team Captain

It doesn't make me upset and it should give another edge to the Flames and Canucks games. I really thinkthat this is a mistake by Calgary, but we shall see.
Entertainment value = an all time low
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

:lol:
Not very often Neil Macrae makes me laugh
but on NW sports he just said that the anti-christ is back in the NHL
Ha Ha that's a good one
Bighill is Badass
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:First day of training camp?

Seriously... yeah, the man has an overall winning record as a head coach... yeah, he brought the Rangers to the cup in '94 (grumble, grumble)... what has he done since then besides drive teams into the ground? Just look at his last act as Panthers GM, going behind ownership's back to move Luongo (not that WE'RE upset about that, but holy geez did the *poop* hit the fan in Miami!).

Then again, maybe if they just keep him behind the bench and out of the front office...
You're on to something there. Keenan is a great coach, but the trouble begins when he gets his hands on the keys to the GMs office. Keep him out of the front office and behind the bench, and he is very good. Look at the one season he put in for Boston six years ago -- they had a winning record, something they would kill for now. The only place he ever lost consistently was here, and when Crawford took over halfway through the year the Canucks kept sucking, showing that it wasn't the coaching, but rather the brutal personnel.

Keenan will light a fire under some people's backsides in Calgary. He will challenge players like Iginla and Phaneuf to be the elite players they can be, and he'll get the most out of his grinders also. Sure, he's a short term solution, but he might be just what the doctor ordered in Calgary.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Good points. Anyone know how "buddy buddy" him and Darryl Sutter are? Cuz the way he operates, if he's got the GM wrapped around his middle finger, he may as well hold the keys. On the other hard, if Sutter is smart enough to tell him to "just STFU and coach", they may have a good go.

Really, Calgary wasn't all that bad last year... especially if you only look at their home record - 30-9-2, you kiddin' me? Bet that keeps the STHs happy!
(\__/)
Bosco
Team Captain

That sound you hear, is Jerome Iginla cringing :shock: at the thought of the 2007-2008 hockey season.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Bosco wrote:That sound you hear, is Jerome Iginla cringing :shock: at the thought of the 2007-2008 hockey season.
Nah, it's Tony Amonte -- hearing he's been traded for Noonan and Matteau.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That is great news for the Vancouver Canucks!!! I do feel badly for the Calgary fans and my relatives who live there...hahaha. Okay, I don't feel that badly as this move will surely put the Flames team in turmoil as Iron Mike rips the franchise and its players apart. Do they have any UFAs as the boys on the talk lines call the Unrestricted Free Agents? If I were one of them, I'd be fast looking to move on! Keenan is a whack case and gets worse with each gig he gets. His approach don't work no more with the modern athlete and their changing value systems. Fear doesn't motivate. Short term he can get results but longer term these guys fail as players get to the point where they can go through the motions and just wait the dork out.

Sutter who is very popular in Alberta may have just sealed his own fate and destiny hooking his wagon to that monster. What guys like this don't do when they hire a coach and one year in find him not to be their guy is stop and reassess what went wrong. What often happens is that in their haste to get the past mistake behind them is make another hiring blunder. Methinks that Keenan is just that - Sutter's blunder.

I did that once too and learned not to repeat that same error as eight months later that guy had to go to. Not one of my prouder moments.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gerry
Legend

Maybe he can convince Messier to come out of retirement. 8)
Enough is enough.
Wally!
Starter

Maybe he can convince Messier to come out of retirement.
And rip the "C" off Iginla while he is at it.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote: Keenan will light a fire under some people's backsides in Calgary. He will challenge players like Iginla and Phaneuf to be the elite players they can be, and he'll get the most out of his grinders also. Sure, he's a short term solution, but he might be just what the doctor ordered in Calgary.
And he almost made Blake Price cry today. That was a beautiful thing.
smphantom
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
Lionut wrote: Keenan will light a fire under some people's backsides in Calgary. He will challenge players like Iginla and Phaneuf to be the elite players they can be, and he'll get the most out of his grinders also. Sure, he's a short term solution, but he might be just what the doctor ordered in Calgary.
And he almost made Blake Price cry today. That was a beautiful thing.
Missed it Larry - what happened?
Stay thirsty my friends.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Price went on a 3 hour rant about how horrible Keenan is. I sort of tuned it out after a while.

I gotta cut the guy some slack, though. Today, in front of all 8 of his ardent NHL fan listeners, he admitted to being 32 years old. That is highly significant, as it puts Blake in the "lost to the CFL generation", or the generation that the CFL did not reach in the late 80s early 90s. He doesn't know anything abut the CFL because he was likely never exposed to it as a youngling. No wonder he seems so out of it when he talks to a CFL player, yet seems to know the NFL so well; he's so awkward around one, while the other comes naturally to him.

Unfortunately for team1040, the host station of Lions and Canucks, Blake isn't interested in the former, and it shows.

Get well soon, Rick Ball. Your listernership needs you.