The 'Beast' Clermont Keeps His Options Open

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting article in todays Vancouver Sun regarding Jason Clermont. Clermont wants to keep his options open for next season and it still looks like he wants to return to his home province to play football. His new wife, step-daughter, and real estate career are there.

Casey Printers gave Clermont the nickname 'the Beast' and there is no question that Clermont is unique among receiivers in the CFL, with his size, speed, strength, hands, and ability to run over or through people after a catch. Nicolson, who is 220 pounds, is not the physical specimen that Clermont is and lkely will never be. He was drafted to provide the Leos with a big target as a receiver but there will likely only be one Jason Clermont in the CFL.

Clermont left the door open to a return to B.C. He said Saskatchewan may not pay him what he is looking for as a free agent. He also said that if Wally had some downtime in the next couple of months he was open to continuing discussions for next year.

However, there appears to be no doubt, that if things worked out, Clermont's first choice in the future is the Green Riders, based upon his personal situation. However, Clermont is not closing doors and it would appear that the mix is only between Saskatchewan and B.C. in terms of his future.

In the end I believe, whatever happens in the future, things will work out ok for both Jason Clermont and our Leos and in the meantime I'll enjoy this season and watching Clermont run over and through a few more defenders!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

I may be alone in this, but I am tired of this story line. I don't want to hear about a guy who has been treated well, by a good organization, wishing he was somewhere else. I think the fans have cut 82 lots of slack on this one because he is such a popular and likable player. Now, in my opinion, it is time for him to stop commenting on this issue. Much like in a bad relationship, I am tired of the teasing and the drama.
smphantom
Legend

It's the media rather than Jason that keeps bringing the issue up. As Jason states in the article, a move to Saskatchewan isn't etched in stone:
Clermont says it's news to him that Nicolson was drafted as a future replacement because of his murky contract situation.

"Really?" Clermont asks. "Okay. But I plan on starting here, and winning another championship. I like my contract. Just because I'm planning to play out my option, doesn't mean I don't want to be here. Who says Saskatchewan is able to afford to pay my needs? I've never been in a situation before where I've had a choice. I'm six months away from free agency. If Wally has some downtime, however, and wants to come to me with something, we'll talk."
Stay thirsty my friends.
Blitz
Team Captain

Quote:
Clermont says it's news to him that Nicolson was drafted as a future replacement because of his murky contract situation.

"Really?" Clermont asks. "Okay. But I plan on starting here, and winning another championship. I like my contract. Just because I'm planning to play out my option, doesn't mean I don't want to be here. Who says Saskatchewan is able to afford to pay my needs? I've never been in a situation before where I've had a choice. I'm six months away from free agency. If Wally has some downtime, however, and wants to come to me with something, we'll talk."
I thought he responded well and liked what he said! He has to answer questions when asked by the media. As for staying or leaving...I believe all of us....if we were tied to an organization with a contract we would consider playing out our option. Imagine if anyone one of us were transfered to Saskatchewan in our jobs. After five years we had a choice of staying there or returning to B.C. where our roots were. We'd also want to keep our options open.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

This whole "needing to go back" to saskatchewan is still the great myth it seems. In an interview early this week he stated he was hoping to get a contract done earlier for two reasons; one he doesn't want to negotiate during training camp and start of the season, second to give him time to move his family out here if the contract works out.

Tighthead, Jason isn't bringing this up all the time. The fans and media are.
Tighthead
Legend

Sure, but he also doesn't seem to just shut it down outright. The media has a role, but he seems to be a co-participant in it.

You have to give me some credit - I predicted I would be alone in my opinion....
LION82
Rookie

Not alone.
I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly.
This is going to be a very exciting season and there are many other positive things to focus on.
Paris Jackson is unstoppable, Joe Smith is a man on a mission and our defence is filled with playmakers.
Those issues should be gracing the pages of print and showing up on Sportscentre.

See you at BC Place

JC
Failing to prepare yourself is preparing yourself to fail.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LION82 wrote:Not alone.
I agree with your opinion wholeheartedly.
This is going to be a very exciting season and there are many other positive things to focus on.
Paris Jackson is unstoppable, Joe Smith is a man on a mission and our defence is filled with playmakers.
Those issues should be gracing the pages of print and showing up on Sportscentre.

See you at BC Place

JC
:rockin:
And if you're asked a question, I expect you to answer it honestly. There's nothing wrong with that. Here's to a healthy, productive season.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

:whs:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Sure, but he also doesn't seem to just shut it down outright. The media has a role, but he seems to be a co-participant in it.

You have to give me some credit - I predicted I would be alone in my opinion....
I think you need to give Jason Clermont a bit more credit as others note. This guy has been all class with this organization and his career and family considerations.

You might also remember that any player pro player in any league heading to the end of a contract will have that same issue brought up again and again in all media stories. On a 3 TD night, the story line will include that JC could leave at the end of the year. That is what the media does, not the player.

If he leaves for the Riders next year, too bad- I'd hate to see him go but he won't be the first or the last. Maybe this new guy will come on this season and knock him out of a job. If he did, the Lions would cut Clermont loose. Fans have to recognize that the relationship between a player and his club runs both ways - it's a business and if JC could be replaced with a cheaper player who can put up his numbers and be as low-maintenance as he is, the Lions would make that move in a heart beat or maybe two. Similarly, if he could get a great contract back home in Regina that works for him and his other career and also his family, it'd be in his best interests for him to wear Rider green for a year or two. It might just get him more real estate business and I doubt we can blame him for thinking like that. How many BC Lions fans will buy a house through Agent Clermont? Okay, the one BC guy who gets transferred to work in Regina might.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
Sure, but he also doesn't seem to just shut it down outright. The media has a role, but he seems to be a co-participant in it.

I think you need to give Jason Clermont a bit more credit as others note. This guy has been all class with this organization and his career and family considerations.
I don't think you will be alone on this one tighthead. Sometimes team loyalty and passion though goes too far! A player who has given his all for the team and signs a new contract with us...good boy! :thup: A player who has given it all for us but decides, for a variety of reasons, to go to a new team....evil boy! :thdn: Our football coach who cuts a veteran who has plateaued and may not have anymore upside and goes for a cheaper, younger football player with upside...smart coach. :thup:...or cruel coach :thup:

Professional sports aren't that uncomplicated. There are no good guys or bad guys in this type of situation. They are often complex, agonizing decisions that not only focus on team budgets and players means of making a living...they also deal with opporunties, family considerations, and other factors. They are not easy for coaches or players who have gone into the trenches together, won and lost together, shared times outside of the football field together, and spent a lot of time working together to achieve the same goals.

If Jason Clermont leaves it won't be easy for him to say goodbye to teammates, coaches that have been such a big part of his life. It's also not always easy for a coach to say goodbye to a player who has given him his all, shared laughs together, spent time together at team barbecues, team functions, etc. It's been that way for coaches and players for a long time and will continue to be a difficult thing to do! Of course there will always be some fans who see players who leave as traitors and coaches who cut older veterans as unfeeling. Hopefully most fans understand these types of scenarios a lot better!
nelson95
Legend

Sorry Jason, you're a business guy. If you're leaving we should get something for you now instead of nothing later. We'll see if Bolden steps up.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!