CJFL

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

AZ

So I'm 17, almost out of high school and won't be going to college. I played HS football in Prince George. I really enjoyed playing football, but won't ever play it again unless I join some sort of league.

I.E. the CJFL

Does anyone have a CJFL team in their area? I'm really interested in going down and trying out. How much consideration for college and/or the CFL do these players get? And anything else I should know?
CB123
Legend

Does anyone have a CJFL team in their area?
In my area there are the Vancouver Trojans (I play for their Midget team).
http://www.vancouvertrojans.ca/

Are you planning on moving here just for football? Or do you just want to live here?
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Check out:

http://www.cjfl.ca/teams_display.cfm

for a list of teams. It looks like the four closest teams in the lower mainland are the Vancouver Trojans, Abbotsford Air Force, Chilliwack Huskers, and South Surrey.
AZ

Ok, I'm liking Kamloops, Vancouver Trojans and the Sun. If anyone here knows, because I certainly do not, how many players try out every year? How much of a future is there in football through the CJFL? Do the average high school football player ever make the teams?
CB123
Legend

Abbotsford Air Force
Try again http://www.vancouvertrojans.ca/news.html
how many players try out every year?
Im not sure how many exactly, but I remember seeing the Spring Camp group photo from the announcers booth and there had to be about... 90 guys trying out? maybe more? Not sure though, it was a year ago and just one picture lol.
How much of a future is there in football through the CJFL?
I think its your best bet for making it to the CFL. Probably about the same as most Colleges and Universities.
How much of a future is there in football through the CJFL? Do the average high school football player ever make the teams?
I dont think they care where you came from, if you have the skill your gonna make the team.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
AZ

I guess the only way to find out is for me to get in shape and try out.

I'm fairly certain that tryouts are over to make the training camp, but it's not exactly clear on any website.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Okanagan Sun have always had a really good program. They were strong teams and when I was younger they were the team everyone wanted to be on.

Kamloops is fairly new and have had some problems in the recent past just getting up and running.

I had a couple kids I coached go and play for the Trojans a few years back. They didn't go very far with it, but they did say it was a good experience and the Trojans did have a program to help with schooling and possibly scholarships if the player was so inclined.

Realistically, it doesn't hurt to try any of the teams. Go and give it a try. At least then you won't have to look back a few years later and wonder what might have been. Yes that's the voice of experience and regret.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
AZ

a little while back, our high school coach, Matt Pearce (a name that might be familiar- Blue bombers in the early 90s) told us about the Sun and said that a few of us should go tryout. I don't think he was talking to me specifically, though. -_-

Whatever, might as well get in shape and tryout. I'm 6"3, about 190 pounds. I played DE but I know that's not really what I'm built for.
LFITQ
Team Captain

AZ wrote:a little while back, our high school coach, Matt Pearce (a name that might be familiar- Blue bombers in the early 90s) told us about the Sun and said that a few of us should go tryout. I don't think he was talking to me specifically, though. -_-

Whatever, might as well get in shape and tryout. I'm 6"3, about 190 pounds. I played DE but I know that's not really what I'm built for.
Matt's dad was my Physics teacher. I never had a teacher that I could understand examples better in my life!!

"If a QB throws the ball at X speed, and the Receiver is running at X speed. Where does the ball have to be for the WR to catch it." Ahh that was a great class!!!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??