PizzaPizza board ad in stanley cup finals...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Black99GT

interesting they have a PizzaPizza(the a in the second pizza has a canadian maple leaf) ad on the boards in Anaheim...that is a Canadian company based out of Ontario(i guess Toronto and other areas in Ontario)...i wonder how much they paid to have that ad done on the boards down there. I am pretty sure there are no pizzapizza' locations in California.
giwiens
Starter
Location: you can know where I was or my direction of travel but not both

It may have been added digitally for the Canadian TV audience. The changing of ads like that has been done before.
Roar Lions Roar
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

I'm betting they didn't pay a lot....you would be surprised.

We managed to book boards at the World Hockey and World Junior Championships this year (Star Choice) and it was all done very last minute and for a lot less money than a tv ad campaign would have cost.

There's always one or two companies that back out of their advertising.....leaving it wide open for some other group.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Black99GT

it didnt look digitally advertised

i know what you mean though...for NFL Games the canadian station always has digital fake ad's on the scoreboard area or other areas...
CB123
Legend

lol do those ad's even work? personally i think they would just be a waste of time.
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I know this thread was made a couple months ago, but does anybody remember what the Kings did back in the days when McNall, Gretzky and Candy owned the Argos? They'd advertise the Toronto Argonauts on one of those rotating ad signs on the boards of the Great Western Forum during Kings games. I saw it on one of the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em videos in the background.

Also, I remember the Islanders had a Tim Horton's ad on their boards in the 1st round vs. the Sabres.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, don't forget that some restaurant franchises that were originally founded in Canada made a successful expansion into the USA.

Some examples:

Boston Pizza
Dixie Lee Fried Chicken
The Keg

And according to Wikipedia about Pizza Pizza:

Pizza Pizza is also known to buy advertising in markets where it has no locations, purely for the television exposure. The chain had field advertising for the 94th Grey Cup in Winnipeg, despite not having any locations in Manitoba. This was due to its national sponsorship with the Canadian Football League. It has also bought ice-level advertising in selected U.S. NHL arenas for games involving Canadian teams, notwithstanding Little Caesars' ownership of the American trademark.
hexx

ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:Also, I remember the Islanders had a Tim Horton's ad on their boards in the 1st round vs. the Sabres.
Tim Hortons has several hundred locations in the northeastern U.S.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

hexx wrote:
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:Also, I remember the Islanders had a Tim Horton's ad on their boards in the 1st round vs. the Sabres.
Tim Horton himself actually played the last (nearly) two years of his NHL career with the Sabres before he died late in the 1973/74 season.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

hexx wrote:
Well, I know they're pretty big in Buffalo and they're also sort've big in Ohio, but they're not prevalent in the Tri-State area and Long Island. I think they might have a location or two in Brooklyn, but not really anything near Nassau Coliseum.