What a dispicable effort by the Canucks

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

His mother might get upset. :roll:
Ballistic Bob
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:His mother might get upset. :roll:
Leave mothers out of it. BB
Lionut
Hall of Famer

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Daffy_Duck/ltdd_144.wav

Funny how fast things change at playoff time. Lose one game, and your team sucks, they are "despicable", blah blah blah. Win the next one? "The Cup is SO ours!" The ankle injuries from jumping off and on the bangwagon must be fairly severe, although I'm thinking 120db already has his ankles taped from football season.

Reality check -- it's a seven game series, and anyone who thought there was going to be a sweep by either team was nuts. Did you check the regular season standings? Did you see how closely matched these two teams are? Given the tight match-up and the goalies involved, if any series in the first round was going seven, it was this one.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Bosco
Team Captain

Now Lionut, you shouldn't let common sense get in the way of mass hysteria. :lol:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:What a dispicable effort by the Canucks last night. Playoff game at home and they can't score a goal. The NOISE! sign is gone

Dallas in 5. A good goalie is nice but you gotta be able to score goals folks...
Seriously, this guy is either the biggest 'fisherman' on the internet and has been having a laugh at our expense for a few years now, or he's simply the biggest .......................................

:hypno:
Gerry
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
120dB wrote:What a dispicable effort by the Canucks last night. Playoff game at home and they can't score a goal. The NOISE! sign is gone

Dallas in 5. A good goalie is nice but you gotta be able to score goals folks...
Seriously, this guy is either the biggest 'fisherman' on the internet and has been having a laugh at our expense for a few years now, or he's simply the biggest .......................................

:hypno:
Or both.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Dispicable was the old dope in a Dallas jersey who wouldnt stand for our anthem. BB :x
There's a couple of things that annoy me to no end:
1)Booing anthems - I know this happened a couple years ago, and it lacked some serious taste, not to mention showed how low sports fans can get.

2)Not standing/removing caps/hats/non-essential headwear during an anthem. I don't know if you think the USA is the root of all evil, it doesn't give you the right to sit down and leave your hat on during said anthem. You don't have to sing a long, but just stand the (#$*)@$* up and take off your %&)#$$*(@ hat.
I agree completely with both of your complaints regarding others behaviours during anthems.

Many, many moons ago (I was in Grade 10 IIRC) the school was having an assembly. Canada's anthem was always sung at the beginning of such assemblies in school. We, being the school students, made the mistake of clapping/cheering (a la Hockey fans) at the conclusion of the anthem. The school got a tongue lashing from the viceprincipal and we had to then resing the anthem 3 times without clapping/cheering. Apparently, according to our viceprincipal anyways, cheering and/or clapping are both disrespectful things to do during/just after an anthem. To this day I stand, sing along but do not cheer/clap. I am curious as to whether my old viceprincipal is correct in his anthem etiquette?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Good one, Lionut... I immediately thought of DD when I saw that word and I was waiting for someone to make the reference...

Will we hear "Sufferin' succotash!" after the next 'Nucks loss... :lol:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Many, many moons ago (I was in Grade 10 IIRC) the school was having an assembly. Canada's anthem was always sung at the beginning of such assemblies in school. We, being the school students, made the mistake of clapping/cheering (a la Hockey fans) at the conclusion of the anthem. The school got a tongue lashing from the viceprincipal and we had to then resing the anthem 3 times without clapping/cheering. Apparently, according to our viceprincipal anyways, cheering and/or clapping are both disrespectful things to do during/just after an anthem. To this day I stand, sing along but do not cheer/clap. I am curious as to whether my old viceprincipal is correct in his anthem etiquette?
It was probably as much the occasion as the anthem -- you certainly don't hear anyone cheering the anthem at a Remembrance Day service, for example. Come to think of it, the anthem is rarely played outside of sporting events and that's about the only time I would think to cheer it. I certainly don't bother cheering it when I catch the CBC signing off at night...

On a related matter, I'm noticing the last few years that people seem to cheer prematurely, just as -- or even before -- the last line starts (which is especially problematic whenever that Gregorian chant choir performs at BC Place). I sometimes put that down to the fact that these people are probably already drunk and have forgotten that the last line is repeated, so they think it's already over.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: I am curious as to whether my old viceprincipal is correct in his anthem etiquette?
I don't cheer or clap during the playing / singing of our national anthem.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Just imagine how frustrated the Dallas fans were last night, screaming at their TVs as the Stars came out strong and then crumbled and let the Canucks run over them.

Turco has still never won a playoff OT game.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:Just imagine how frustrated the Dallas fans were last night, screaming at their TVs as the Stars came out strong and then crumbled and let the Canucks run over them.

Turco has still never won a playoff OT game.
I think he has 1 playoff OT win.
120dB
Legend

Fire Alain. Alain has gotta go. He's lost control of the team; teh players are tuning him out.

Alain had better do some yelling at the players and shake the paint from the walls and bounce some garbage cans off the locker room walls and set off some firecrackers like Harry Neale once did and wake this damn team up.

Shape up Alain or ship out. We're tired of mediocrity in this town. If there's ever an appropriate time to slam some hockey sticks and garbage cans against the locker room walls and do a blow up in front of the players, it's NOW, not Tuesday morning.

And if Alain ain't gonna do a blow up, then the G.M. better do it or the owner. And the yelling better happen soon or the season is toast
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Why are you still here ? I thought you left. :roll:
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

120dB wrote:Fire Alain. Alain has gotta go. He's lost control of the team; teh players are tuning him out.

Alain had better do some yelling at the players and shake the paint from the walls and bounce some garbage cans off the locker room walls and set off some firecrackers like Harry Neale once did and wake this damn team up.

Shape up Alain or ship out. We're tired of mediocrity in this town. If there's ever an appropriate time to slam some hockey sticks and garbage cans against the locker room walls and do a blow up in front of the players, it's NOW, not Tuesday morning.

And if Alain ain't gonna do a blow up, then the G.M. better do it or the owner. And the yelling better happen soon or the season is toast

So from what I understand, you'd like Alain to make some NOISE in the locker room?