Official 2007 Stanley Cup Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Two gaffes by Bettman in 30 seconds. "Hockey's doing well in California". Uh, no. "First west coast Stanley Cup champion". Uh, wrong again. Not even the second or the third, for that matter.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to Brian Burke and the Ducks.

LFITQ
Team Captain

Black99GT wrote:this will be the third straight time a Canadian team has made it to the finals and lost.
Conspiracy theorists unite.

Bettman doesn't care about Canada (see gaffes tonight).
Hockey is still supreme in Canada, thus he doesn't worry about the state of the game in Canada or it's fans.

As such, Canadian teams don't need to win the Stanley Cup. All I've heard on sirius sports channels is how a cup win by Anaheim would be "good for the league". So you have a Canadian team make the playoffs to keep the "Canadian" fans happy and interested, afterall you know they will help keep some of the #'s up. But you have them lose to an American team that is possibly "feeling the heat" because it is good for the league (or rather hockey in general in those markets).

Add to that the story of th eNiedermayer players playing together for the first time and you have 2 things that are too good for the League to pass up. Canadians walk away and say "oh well" maybe next year a Canadian team will win it and you get to bolster the American team for a year and possibly help to increase the plight of that team in their market or even other markets in the US.

For conspiracy theorists, this one is almost so simple it's scary at how accurate it might be.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
CB123
Legend

last time i checked there are a lot of Canadian born players on the roster of the Ducks. I just want to see Burke win it.
My thoughts exactly. Im so happy they won tonight (i didnt really follow the playoffs, but I knew I wanted Burke to get it).
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
smphantom
Legend

The streak of either a Canadian team or the Detroit Red Wings winning the Cup in years that end in 7, is officially over.

Link here
Stay thirsty my friends.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hope to see both Neidermayer brothers on top of the local mountain with the Stanley Cup this time around. Although Scott did say that whatever Rob wants to do with the SC is Rob's call this time. :yes:

Image :thup:
Entertainment value = an all time low
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TAKE THAT JOHN AND STAN MCTURDS, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE PICTURE ANYMORE.

Sweetest cup win since the Flyers back to back wins.

Yah hooo

Go Burke
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:TAKE THAT JOHN AND STAN MCTURDS, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE PICTURE ANYMORE.

Sweetest cup win since the Flyers back to back wins.

Yah hooo

Go Burke
Burke got Scott Neidermayer when he was available to the Canucks who re-signed Naslund and then he got Pronger, an unbelievable acquisition given the Salary Cap and Prongers contract. Those are the obvious, but the one that helped create room for both players on the same team, was the Ferderov trade, extra Cap room and a couple of solid players. However the funniest part in retrospect and lucky on Burke's part was the attempted trading of Guigere, had he been able to do so, the Ducks may not be the SC Champions in 07, and he desperately tried to trade him away. In hindsight every move bounced his way in Anaheim.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The jinx continues, no European captain has ever hoisted the Stanley Cup. You know the Sens were in trouble when Alfredson touched the Eastern Conference trophy when it was awarded. :lol: :lol:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The jinx continues, no European captain has ever hoisted the Stanley Cup.
No, but I believe Daniel Alfredsson was the first NHL European captain to lead his team to a Stanley Cup finals appearance. That is a milestone in itself.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

smphantom wrote:The streak of teams in markets that couldn't care less about hockey winning the Stanley Cup continues.
Fixed.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
smphantom wrote:The streak of teams in markets that couldn't care less about hockey winning the Stanley Cup continues.
Fixed.
Yea, but isn't it great to see the Cup where it belongs....south of the 49th?
I have my head up my butt - 120db
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Two gaffes by Bettman in 30 seconds. "Hockey's doing well in California". Uh, no. "First west coast Stanley Cup champion". Uh, wrong again. Not even the second or the third, for that matter.
Gary Bettman does one thing well: Pandering to an audience, perhaps better than most politicians or public speakers.

I'll agree with you on the first point. However, his 2nd point is true, if you only go back as far as 1927, the first year the NHL assumed control of the Stanley Cup. It's all a matter of how you spin it. I refer you back to my above statement.

Going back further than that, your point is accurate.
smphantom
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Fixed.
Hey, don't be re-wording something I posted and quoting me????
The streak of either a Canadian team or the Detroit Red Wings winning the Cup in years that end in 7, is officially over.
Stay thirsty my friends.
MacNews
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:However the funniest part in retrospect and lucky on Burke's part was the attempted trading of Guigere, had he been able to do so, the Ducks may not be the SC Champions in 07, and he desperately tried to trade him away. In hindsight every move bounced his way in Anaheim.
I disagree as Bryzgalov played in the first round and looked good, I think he would have been able to lead the Ducks to the promise-land also. But you are right it was good to have Giguere, two stars goalies is always better than one.