Which would you rather win?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Grey Cup or Stanley Cup?

Grey Cup
56%
Stanley Cup
44%

Total votes: 32
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:I am NOT a Canuck
:whs:

Go Lions Go! :roar: :helmet: :roar:

Voted Grey Cup. Why mess with tradition?
Real women wear orange!!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Despite their current hot streak, I don't think the Canucks are good enough to win the Stanley Cup this year. I voted for the Grey Cup.
I think you should read the question again, this is not about who you "think" will win, but rather who would you WANT to win THIS year.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:
A one year tradition? :lol:

Sounds good.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Let's be honest -- the Stanley Cup is a much more difficult trophy to win. You have win 16 games to get it, and the two month playoff grind is a virtual Bataan Death March for the players. Ever see those guys after four rounds of the playoffs? I'll never forget how Trevor Linden looked after Game 7 in New York in '94 -- pale, gaunt, and with a face that looked like five miles of bad road. It's the hardest trophy to win in professional sports, IMO, which would make winning it pretty sweet.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:
CatsEyes wrote:
A one year tradition? :lol:

Sounds good.
I meant more of a 36 year tradition. :twisted: :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
D
Team Captain

Since the Canucks joined the NHL in 1970 they have 0 Stanley Cups the Lions have 4 Grey Cups in the same timeframe .... Don't hate me but I'll take a Stanley Cup just because it hasn't happened

It doesn't hurt that my middle name is Stanley :wink:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
lion24
Legend

D wrote:Since the Canucks joined the NHL in 1970 they have 0 Stanley Cups the Lions have 4 Grey Cups in the same timeframe .... Don't hate me but I'll take a Stanley Cup just because it hasn't happened

It doesn't hurt that my middle name is Stanley :wink:

i am vey disappointed with you D, i think i am going to give up my lionbacker membership and i want my money for being an mvp back :bang: ...............not!! :wink: just kidding i think it would be great for vancouver to have a grey cup and stanley cup within a small amount of time. then i will chop down the city of champions sign and ship it to vancouver. remember the esks and oilers will have missed the playoffs :thup: :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
D
Team Captain

lion24 wrote:then i will chop down the city of champions sign and ship it to vancouver. remember the esks and oilers will have missed the playoffs :thup: :lol:
You can already do that ..... Whitecaps, Giants, Lions .... Champions one and all :rockin:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Rammer
Team Captain

Oh I may have voted GC, but meant to vote Stanley Cup. Can you imagine taking the Stanley Cup and placing it alongside the Grey Cup? That would be a wild run in the most difficult of sports to win a Championship according to Lionut, which I agree with. :rockin:
Entertainment value = an all time low
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I pose this question though. If the Grey Cup is supposedly so easy to win, how come there's a team that's only won it twice in almost a hundred years? :twisted: 8)
Real women wear orange!!
lion24
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:I pose this question though. If the Grey Cup is supposedly so easy to win, how come there's a team that's only won it twice in almost a hundred years? :twisted: 8)
i would agree with that ,i think it is a little harder to win than a lot of people think even with the 8 team league. winnipeg 1990, saskatchewan 1989. :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Oh I may have voted GC, but meant to vote Stanley Cup. Can you imagine taking the Stanley Cup and placing it alongside the Grey Cup? That would be a wild run in the most difficult of sports to win a Championship according to Lionut, which I agree with. :rockin:
This makes it even closer.

Having both trophy's in one year would be amazing. :cr:
Gerry
Legend

I voted Stanley Cup. As has been said before this, the Lions have won the Grey Cup a few times, but the Canucks have yet to do so. I'd still rather watch a Lions game than a Canucks game, but for this question my answer is Stanley.
Enough is enough.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Put me in the running for Grey Cup.

Stanley's mug just doesn't bring me out as much. I will watch the playoffs until there are no Canadian-based Teams in it and I will cheer on the Canucks, but if it were up to me I would gladly see the Canucks continue to lose and the Lions continue to win.

As for difficulty in winning, one thing that seems interesting to me is the number of teams (modern era) that seem to be able to win the Stanley Cup versus the lack of repeat winners for the Grey Cup. I think FA and the latest trend of "renting" players in the NHL has made for greater opportunity for different teams to win the Stanley Cup. Whereas in the CFL, history seems to sees fewer key player movement amongst smaller teams, thus making it more difficult for teams to "breakthrough".
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Uh-oh. Fallout shelter time. :wink: