how big can the grey cup get!?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

i know you all probably thought how popular the grey cup will get. but no; this is a post that shows it truly is the offseason. i was just thinking with the names getting engraved on the grey cup won't the size of it just keep getting bigger to the point where no one can lift it? :? maybe a grey cup "b" will have to be made. just like the stanley cup the trophy used to be just the top cup portion but now it will also get bigger. anyway just a thought and a meaningless post really. :lol: :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Soundy
Hall of Famer

At this point, each Stanley Cup-winning team just has their names engraved on a band around the base of the cup... when one band fills, another is taken off and replaced with a blank one to start the next team. The removed bands are displayed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:At this point, each Stanley Cup-winning team just has their names engraved on a band around the base of the cup... when one band fills, another is taken off and replaced with a blank one to start the next team. The removed bands are displayed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
Yep, in fact I noticed on the news the other day that they recently did just that -- they're starting a new band this season. They showed the old one removed and flattened out into an oblong strip.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Too big to lift to drink from one day...

NEVER!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
eskinator
All Star

You can see those bands at the Hall of Fame when you go to Grey Cup this year. The Hockey Hall of Fame is fantastic (not really my sport, but I recognize a nice shrine when I see it) and close to GC action in downtown Toronto.
What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are - Epictetus
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

eskinator wrote:You can see those bands at the Hall of Fame when you go to Grey Cup this year. The Hockey Hall of Fame is fantastic (not really my sport, but I recognize a nice shrine when I see it) and close to GC action in downtown Toronto.
I'll echo that sentiment. I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame in both its new location in downtown Toronto and its old location on the CNE grounds. I've also had the good fortune to visit the CFL Hall of Fame in Hamilton, Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. The new Hockey Hall of Fame in its location right downtown is definitely the best of the bunch. As a sports history buff I'm a bit biased but in my opinion it's well worth a special trip to Toronto just to see it. A must see for any puck nut.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here's something about the Grey Cup trophy that I did not know. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad because not even CFL commissioner Mark Cohon knows about this.

A few Blue Bombers are upset because should they win tomorrow, Kevin Glenn will not have his name engraved on the trophy.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 7-sun.html

According to the article:

League rules stipulate only the 42 players on the active roster for the game will have their names adorn the famous mug in perpetuity. Glenn, who broke his left arm in the East final last Sunday, will be inactive tomorrow.

So I guess that means coaches and managers don't have their names engraved on the Grey Cup either.
lion24
Legend

lion24 wrote:i know you all probably thought how popular the grey cup will get. but no; this is a post that shows it truly is the offseason. i was just thinking with the names getting engraved on the grey cup won't the size of it just keep getting bigger to the point where no one can lift it? :? maybe a grey cup "b" will have to be made. just like the stanley cup the trophy used to be just the top cup portion but now it will also get bigger. anyway just a thought and a meaningless post really. :lol: :lol:
Did you ever look back at a post and think; wow that was pretty bad!! This was a horribly written and meaningless post; sorry everyone :bang: Just call me lion/db/chimpy24 :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Arny
Champion

lion24 wrote:
lion24 wrote:i know you all probably thought how popular the grey cup will get. but no; this is a post that shows it truly is the offseason. i was just thinking with the names getting engraved on the grey cup won't the size of it just keep getting bigger to the point where no one can lift it? :? maybe a grey cup "b" will have to be made. just like the stanley cup the trophy used to be just the top cup portion but now it will also get bigger. anyway just a thought and a meaningless post really. :lol: :lol:
Did you ever look back at a post and think; wow that was pretty bad!! This was a horribly written and meaningless post; sorry everyone :bang: Just call me lion/db/chimpy24 :wink:
Yes I have, twice now. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Here's something about the Grey Cup trophy that I did not know. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad because not even CFL commissioner Mark Cohon knows about this.

A few Blue Bombers are upset because should they win tomorrow, Kevin Glenn will not have his name engraved on the trophy.

League rules stipulate only the 42 players on the active roster for the game will have their names adorn the famous mug in perpetuity. Glenn, who broke his left arm in the East final last Sunday, will be inactive tomorrow.

So I guess that means coaches and managers don't have their names engraved on the Grey Cup either.
Sounds like from what Cohon said, this situation could trigger the enactment of a new league by-law that would allow, in extenuating circumstances, an extra name(s) to be added at the discretion of the final authority in these decisions. This status quo applies to Saskatchewan's Matt Dominguez as well.

I guess this means neither Mervyn Fernandez (sat out injured in 1985) nor Mike Trevathan (same in 1994) got their names on the Grey Cup, assuming the rules were the same back then. I might check that out next time I see the Cup, if I remember.

Speaking of adding names to the Cup, here's an anecdote of a subtraction of sorts. After our win in 1994, Vic Stevenson pointed out to me — during a promotional appearance at one of then-owner Bill Comrie's Brick outlets in Victoria — that someone put a scratch through Rocket Ismail's name on the 1991 engraving. I suspect it was probably done the following year by a member of the championship 1992 Stampeder team who still had bitter memories of the previous year's loss. Dunno if they ever repaired that scratch but it was very obvious at the time.

To get back to Lion24's original point from before Robbie resurrected this thread, anyone know if they're close to filling out all those extra slots on the base that was added in 1987 (+/– a year or two)? Call me on this if I'm wrong, anybody, but as I recall from seeing the trophy up close, the names are not — as opposed to the Stanley Cup — engraved on the Cup itself, but on metal panels that are individually affixed to the Cup, with the body (base) of the Cup being one solid piece of material (cf. Stanley Cup base has five modular bands). I suppose they'll just remove the oldest engraved panels near the top of the base once they're all filled out, and work their way back down to the bottom again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:Here's something about the Grey Cup trophy that I did not know. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad because not even CFL commissioner Mark Cohon knows about this.

Sounds like from what Cohon said, this situation could trigger the enactment of a new league by-law that would allow, in extenuating circumstances, an extra name(s) to be added at the discretion of the final authority in these decisions. This status quo applies to Saskatchewan's Matt Dominguez as well.

I guess this means neither Mervyn Fernandez (sat out injured in 1985) nor Mike Trevathan (same in 1994) got their names on the Grey Cup, assuming the rules were the same back then. I might check that out next time I see the Cup, if I remember.

Speaking of adding names to the Cup, here's an anecdote of a subtraction of sorts. After our win in 1994, Vic Stevenson pointed out to me — during a promotional appearance at one of then-owner Bill Comrie's Brick outlets in Victoria — that someone put a scratch through Rocket Ismail's name on the 1991 engraving. I suspect it was probably done the following year by a member of the championship 1992 Stampeder team who still had bitter memories of the previous year's loss. Dunno if they ever repaired that scratch but it was very obvious at the time.

To get back to Lion24's original point from before Robbie resurrected this thread, anyone know if they're close to filling out all those extra slots on the base that was added in 1987 (+/– a year or two)? Call me on this if I'm wrong, anybody, but as I recall from seeing the trophy up close, the names are not — as opposed to the Stanley Cup — engraved on the Cup itself, but on metal panels that are individually affixed to the Cup, with the body (base) of the Cup being one solid piece of material (cf. Stanley Cup base has five modular bands). I suppose they'll just remove the oldest engraved panels near the top of the base once they're all filled out, and work their way back down to the bottom again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
The engraved panels are glued on. I believe this is the last year that they have room for a new metal panel before they have to decide whether or not to add another row or remove some of the older ones.

I'll second Hambone's assertion that the Hockey Hall of Fame is the best of the bunch.