Sonics Owner: New Arena to cost $500 million

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Black99GT

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2735466

you think they will get it done?...or are they gone to OKC?
120dB
Legend

yeah but I thought the new arena would be built in the same area as Quest Field and Safeco. Renton is a long ways from downtown, though Bellevue is nice....
Bosco
Team Captain

I think there are two chances that this arena will be built....slim, and none. :roll: This ownership group has the Sonics for one reason and one reason only - to move them to Oklahoma City. Far too many times has the "world class" label been dangled over taxpayers heads, with the threat of course being twofold: 1) If you want to be "world class", you'll no doubt fork over taxpayer money. 2) If you do want to be "world class", we'll have no choice but relocate elsewhere.

I guess the Sonics will be moving in the Spring of 2008. :no:
Black99GT

120db...i dont believe there is any land to build on around there anymore...
but i could be wrong...so suburban Seattle is the only option now...people in Seattle are saying why not build a 300 - 400 million dollar building...i guess 500 million is what they cost nowadays?...
120dB
Legend

I would not go to Renton for a Sonics game. If the Sonics move, that opens the door fo Paul Allen to move the Trailblazers to Seattle.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm tired of hearing "if the city doesn't build a new stadium / rink / ball park I'll just pack up and move the team elsewhere. My comment to that threat is "let me help you pack" :x
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:I would not go to Renton for a Sonics game. If the Sonics move, that opens the door fo Paul Allen to move the Trailblazers to Seattle.
If you're just gonna replace a bad team with an equally bad team from down I5, why not just move the Jailblazers to a new market, rather than have a bunch of jaded fans who won't show up to games.
nelson95
Legend

Won't happen. Seattle just paid off the Kingdome
The Sonics are #4 in Seattle and that is fleeting given the improvement of Husky Basketball
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Sonics have decided to build their new arena in the suburb of Renton.

http://www.komotv.com/news/5811216.html
120dB
Legend

Surely there must be some vacant land near downtown, such as south of Safeco. Bussing down to Renton seems very far. I like hanging around downtown Seattle.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Washington State Government isn't very enthusiastic about a new arena:

http://www.komotv.com/sports/sonicsstorm/5836651.html
nelson95
Legend

The tax authority the Sonics want from the Legislature is currently paying for new Seattle stadiums for baseball's Mariners and the Seahawks, as well as for remaining debt on the now-demolished Kingdome.

The taxes, to be applied after they expire for the Seattle stadiums, would include a one-half of 1 percent sales tax on restaurant tabs and rental cars, and a hotel-motel tax, all in King County

Of course the tax-payers foot the original bill and interest....again

Seattle really needs rapid transit and a new Mercer Island bridge and viaduct before another stadium. The taxpayers are still holding the bag on the last Key Arena renos
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Black99GT

The owner(Clay Bennett) was interviewed during the Suns/Sonics game last night...he mentioned how Challenging this whole thing is...usually it takes a couple years to plan and get these things done. he is trying to get this done in such a small time frame.

also read this(about an NHL team could come to Seattle if arena is built)

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_h ... hl_to_sea/
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

Black99GT wrote:The owner(Clay Bennett) was interviewed during the Suns/Sonics game last night...he mentioned how Challenging this whole thing is...usually it takes a couple years to plan and get these things done. he is trying to get this done in such a small time frame.

also read this(about an NHL team could come to Seattle if arena is built)

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_h ... hl_to_sea/
Pratt and Taylor were talking about it on the TEAM. Likely candidates to move would be: Nashville and Pittsburgh.
nelson95
Legend

Come on -the Seahawks weren't even selling out til 2 seasons ago
I lived in Seattle, Seattle is NOT a hockey town
Give the ball to LeeRoy!