From the I CANT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT files

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

You only need to look at the trends to see it. High abortion rates. High divorce rates. Lot's of experimentation with pot and other 'fun' drugs. (Like E) Our society today is pretty liberal compared to say 40 years ago. I wonder how different society will be in 40 years time. :shock:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think its time for eveybody to stop having kids.sigh

It amazes me to see the world hurtling down the path predicted 2000+ yrs ago in the bible, and yet people still dont beleive.

I dont remember if this is actually mentioned in the bible or not, but even if and when they start stamping 666 on peoples forheads and start hunting down christians as haters, people will still deny. IN fact, when ever Christians speak out against homosexuality, they are already being labeled as HATERS.

I fear for the world my kids are going to be living in after I am gone, both environmentally and socially.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
maddeep73
Champion

Funny, none of this bothers me. I guess to each his own.
Keepin' it real
pinkfreud

With all due respect, what is wrong with acknowledging sex and the need to be satisfied as part of a healthy life? I mean, who are we kidding folks?

:?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote:With all due respect, what is wrong with acknowledging sex and the need to be satisfied as part of a healthy life? I mean, who are we kidding folks?

:?
its not proper for the news. its not for childrens ears. and children are usually around when the news is on, even if not specifically watching it.

someday someone will be asking, why cant a person masterbate in the middle of the park in the middle of the day, if they feel like it. and so on and so on.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There are alot of worst things on television these days.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:There are alot of worst things on television these days.
yup, and there is a lot worst things than vandalism or shop lifting, and, I respectfully ask, your point is..??
pinkfreud

The children of whom you speak are probably too young to understand what sex is about if they hear the word anyhow. I mean, they didn't have vibrators displayed across the news desk did they? Children are not harmed or disillusioned because they find out about sex. They are harmed when it is imposed upon them, physically or verbally, by adults who exploit them for their own sexual pleasure.

That being said, we probably feel squeamish when sex is mentioned in the presence of children because the two do not go together, which is an appropriate response.
maddeep73
Champion

The children of whom you speak are probably too young to understand what sex is about if they hear the word anyhow. I mean, they didn't have vibrators displayed across the news desk did they? Children are not harmed or disillusioned because they find out about sex. They are harmed when it is imposed upon them, physically or verbally, by adults who exploit them for their own sexual pleasure.

That being said, we probably feel squeamish when sex is mentioned in the presence of children because the two do not go together, which is an appropriate response.
Agreed.

And as to the argument that kids shouldn't be watching it on the news? Who controls the remote and the television watching in your house? You or your kids? I strongly believe parents have to set and enforce boundaries based on their own beliefs.

Also, I can tell you my kids wouldn't be caught dead watching the news in my house! It couldn't possibly hold their attention for 10 seconds.
Keepin' it real
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

KIA, when you're 5 or 6, I highly doubt I would watch the news (assuming I was 5 years old), and even if i did, i'd laugh so hard hearing the word "sex". Most little kids do.

I watch the news and you don't think too much of it when they mention a sex convention, ooo sex convention, seriously, do you think that any kid or teenager would see ads for a sex commercial and decide to go off and uh...u get the point.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the thing is, without argueing your points, things are accepted today which were not accepted yesterday, and the way things are going, things which even you guys would not accept today will soon also become more acceptable. It has got to stop somewhere.

I watch the news and my house is such that the living room is high traffic area and I dont think I should have to be jumping for the remote everytime the kids come through, and my son does often watch the news. He is very conscientious. I think that is the word I want. On his own, he is already for a couple of yrs now concerned about such things as pollution and whatnot. He pays attention to things. My daughter is just over 9 and I dont even want her to hear the word sex yet.

And they did show something close to a dildo on the late news.
maddeep73
Champion

And they did show something close to a dildo on the late news.
Squire Barnes? Is he still on?
Keepin' it real
pinkfreud

It won't stop, at least not permanently. Over time humans have gone through many cycles of denying their human drives then acknowledging them and then denying them again. It's the eternal conflict between our animal brain that's wired to seek pleasurable experiences that support survival, and our cortex that allows us to survive in a world that demands we control those drives. It's all good. We're just in the process of building more effective cortices is all.

:wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:There are alot of worst things on television these days.
yup, and there is a lot worst things than vandalism or shop lifting, and, I respectfully ask, your point is..??
The point I'm trying to make is that the mention of the sex convention on the late night news is no big deal (in my opinion); it's news much like a doctors' convention in town. To some people it may be considered as "promoting sex". There is already nudity on TV.
Jedrock43

pinkfreud wrote:The children of whom you speak are probably too young to understand what sex is about if they hear the word anyhow. I mean, they didn't have vibrators displayed across the news desk did they? Children are not harmed or disillusioned because they find out about sex. They are harmed when it is imposed upon them, physically or verbally, by adults who exploit them for their own sexual pleasure.

I'm with PF on this one..

I doubt most kids watching the broadcast had a clue what was going on.. Those that did probably knew because of the other stuff they either heard in the home, at school or on tv..

I didn't think it was that big of a deal.. I was having frank discussions with my kids about sex from the time they were old enough to understand.

IMO it was an innocent mistake... Albeit a funny one..