2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote: Looks like they'll go as far in this series as Peter Budaj can take them since Carey Price's knee injury will have him benched throughout according to what I just saw on tsn.ca.

Price to miss rest of series as Habs host Rangers on TSN 690
Amazing outcome for Alain Vigneault, getting this far, and seeing more open road ahead.

Chicago or L.A. would seem to be prohibitive favorites in the Final against either Montreal or New York.
That certainly makes sense WCJ. I realize you said 'prohibitve favourites' (meaning there is a reason why they play the games, right?). I sure hope its L.A. that makes the final.
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: Amazing outcome for Alain Vigneault, getting this far, and seeing more open road ahead.

Chicago or L.A. would seem to be prohibitive favorites in the Final against either Montreal or New York.
That certainly makes sense WCJ. I realize you said 'prohibitve favourites' (meaning there is a reason why they play the games, right?). I sure hope its L.A. that makes the final.
I liked AV, nota. I recall he said that after the first firing, he told himself if he got another chance in the NHL he would enjoy every day. That seems to be the case. Always composed and humourous it seems to me. Kind of the anti-Tortorella. Not that I disliked Torts, but he definitely had some issues.

AV to the Finals? Sure. Preferably Montreal but that seems unlikely.

Chicago? Ugggghhh ... But Toews is the most awesome leader I have seen in years.

LA? Doughty rises to the occasion. Spectacular talent. Gaborik? Unreal acquisition. Always a supreme sniper from his days with Lemaire. Sutter seems to know how to get it all out of Gaborik. Defensive play as well. He told Gaborik he would not try to change his game. Very wise, especially on the offensive side. Like all great players they can play defence if they have to do, it seems to me. I recall Mario was coming off injury and dedicated himself to defensive play, and he was awesome.

Chicago or LA? Both have pounded us, but LA seemed to have respect. Chicago? Not so much ... Not at all, in fact.

BTW, not watching ... LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Image
Don't count them out just yet :cr: :cr:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Vancouver Canucks are expected to name Jim Benning the team's new general manager later this week, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Tuesday.

Naming a head coach is next for the organization, with former Nashville Predators bench boss Barry Trotz high on the team's list of candidates.

Benning, a former Canucks defenceman who spent nine seasons in the league with Vancouver and the Toronto Maple Leafs, has been an assistant with the Bruins since 2006. Following his playing career that ended in 1990, he worked as a scout for the Anaheim Ducks and the Buffalo Sabres before a six-year run as the Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting starting in 1998.

Benning won the Stanley Cup with the Bruins in 2011.

Newly appointed team president Trevor Linden parted ways with former general manager Mike Gillis last month and fired head coach John Tortorella in early May.

Trotz was relieved of his head coaching duties with the Predators in mid-April, the organization he had been with for 15 seasons.
It seems to me that the best GM is the one who gets the best players, by luck or skill. Lucky to draw an early slot in the draft lottery. Skill in judgment.

I kind of like Mike Gillis. But his draft record seems poor. Is poor. Luongo and Schneider mishandled. Disaster in hiring Tortorella.

Benning? Shero? I can't get too excited. HC ... Trotz? Bylsma? Same thing. Seems like shuffling chairs on the Titanic.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: .............Chicago or LA? Both have pounded us, but LA seemed to have respect. Chicago? Not so much ... Not at all, in fact.

BTW, not watching ... LOL
I respect LA and I love Toews as a Leader. Sure thrilled he has a Canadian passport when it comes to the Olympics......

As for this years playoffs? I'm like you, faithfully not watching simply because I couldn't stand some of the goonery in the first round. My only dissappointment in not watching would have been the pleasure of seeing the Bruins knocked out. I soon hope to be similarily dissappointed at not getting to see the Blackhawks get knocked out :cr: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Los Angeles Kings exploded for 5 3rd period goals enroute to a 6-2 win over the Black Hawks. First home defeat for the Black Hawks in the playoffs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Los Angeles Kings exploded for 5 3rd period goals enroute to a 6-2 win over the Black Hawks. First home defeat for the Black Hawks in the playoffs.

:yahoo: The other nice thing about NOT watching Blackhawk games is not having to hear Chelsea Dagger.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

To the surprise of nobody, Trevor Linden confirmed the hiring of Jim Benning as the GM of the Canucks.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canadiens won game 3 with a 3-2 overtime win. Rangers tied the game with half a minute left on a flukey goal deflecting off defenceman Alexei Emelin. Montreal got the winner a couple of minutes into overtime on another flukey goal bouncing off Alex Galyenchuk. Dustin Tokarski was outstanding in getting his 1st playoff win.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

So Linden gets his man. OK. Better than Plan B, or Plan C, as happened with the Lions in acquiring a new OC.

Is Benning the answer? Who knows? It seems we have never had top level drafting with the Canucks. Some of this is luck, as in getting a top 3 pick in just the right year. But many outstanding players have come from rounds 2 and 3, etc.

Shrugging the shoulders ... Ho hum ...

WTG, Montreal. :thup:

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Martin St.Louis scored in overtime to give the Rangers a 3-2 win. Montreal now trails the series 3-1 with the next game on Tuesday night. Tokarski was stellar in goal again.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Martin St.Louis scored in overtime to give the Rangers a 3-2 win. Montreal now trails the series 3-1 with the next game on Tuesday night. Tokarski was stellar in goal again.
I saw five minutes of this game while over at my girlfriends place after the Lions ST holder event. Just shook my head. In that five minutes or so of 'hockey' I got to see another of those :dizzy: things for me. One NY Ranger skated up behind a Canadiens D-man. The Ranger took BOTH hands and delivered a firm crosscheck to the small of the Canadien players back causing the Hab to land on his stomach. YET, the Ranger SCREAMS, WHINES and SNIVELS when he gets called !?!?!?! IMO, if a player wants to complain and moan about a call have it be something. A two handed crosscheck to the back is a penalty. If its NOT, is it hockey? Quickly talked my girlfriend into watching something else because watching the National Goonery League teams/players play for the Stanley Cup is not my idea of entertainment.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Los Angeles defeated Chicago 5-2 to lead the series 3-1. Looks more and more like a LA vs NY finals. Still hoping the Habs beat the Rangers tomorrow to prolong the series.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Los Angeles defeated Chicago 5-2 to lead the series 3-1. Looks more and more like a LA vs NY finals. Still hoping the Habs beat the Rangers tomorrow to prolong the series.
So, a LaNy Stanley Cup Final :wink: I can live with that. Either AV and his boys win or one of my favourite ex-Canucks Willie Mitchell gets another non-wedding ring for his fingers. I'm with you though, TheLionKing, I want the Canadiens to prolong, and even if possible, win that series. I know he's a ways off yet but I saw a tidbit on the scroll that Price took a skate today with no equipment on. Not sure what, if anything that means. Maybe he will get back if the Canadians get to the next round?....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Price was on the ice for 20 minutes in sweats. Apparently it was part of his recuperation. I think the Canadiens will win tomorrow and force a game 6 on Thursday :cr: