2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lucy has lost any respect I may have for him. Once the series is over it's over. Time to congratulate your opponent and move on. Guess Emelin and Weise really got under Lucy's skin and he lost his composure and focus
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Lucy has lost any respect I may have for him. Once the series is over it's over. Time to congratulate your opponent and move on. Guess Emelin and Weise really got under Lucy's skin and he lost his composure and focus
Good points, IMO. It makes one wonder sometimes. I really loved the concept of Lucic coming into the NHL. Had similar feelings about Evander Kane. Don't despise Kane but I do not like Lucic anymore.... I just don't like guys preaching about being a real man and then slashing a guy in the groin less than a month later..... Its not what you say, its what you do and Lucic has shown how much of 'real man' (whatever that is) he is........
Rammer
Team Captain

Lucic's play was exposed, as the smaller Canadien's were able to neutralize him, Chara, Thorton, and Marchand with their speed. I don't recall many hits on any of them, no need to play their game and it was a purrfect plan. This series still took 7 games, but the Habs were the better team on at least 5 games, Bruins were lucky to have the lead at 3 - 2 during the series. I have to think that Chara was injured, as he wasn't his usual self, and how Gallagher was able to occupy him was a credit to his determination. Having Gallagher in his face made it difficult for Chara to do anything about it, as he was liable to take a penalty in doing so.

Habs now find themselves in a much different scenario, the Rangers are the underdog and the game will be much faster coming at them. I still think that the West should win the Stanley Cup, but then again, I also thought that Bruins would represent the East hands down going into the playoffs.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You can't teach speed and the Habs got it in spades. In the last 4 games Lucic had no goals and only 6 shots on goal
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IMO, Weise DID NOT 'break the code' and talk about what happened on the ice. Sorry, misquoted Lucic there. Talking about stuff said on the ice is 'breaking the code, the whining done by Lucic when it stuff is done/said to him, is NOT :dizzy:

The guys logic is TWISTED, IMO. Makes me wonder who the victim really was in the great POUTINE brouhaha that happened here the night Lucic was in town with the Bruins?

I was sorry to see Weise go and I guess he's enjoying the playing time he's getting now. Hope he gets a ring for his finger too! :rockin:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Los Angeles defeated Anaheim in game 7 6-2 to advance to the Western Conference finals against Chicago.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:IMO, Weise DID NOT 'break the code' and talk about what happened on the ice. Sorry, misquoted Lucic there. Talking about stuff said on the ice is 'breaking the code, the whining done by Lucic when it stuff is done/said to him, is NOT :dizzy:

The guys logic is TWISTED, IMO. Makes me wonder who the victim really was in the great POUTINE brouhaha that happened here the night Lucic was in town with the Bruins?

I was sorry to see Weise go and I guess he's enjoying the playing time he's getting now. Hope he gets a ring for his finger too! :rockin:
Here's what Lucic really said

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rangers won the 1st game of the Conference Finals by hammering the Habs 7-2. Habs were due for a letdown after an emotional Boston series and they got it. Rangers were much faster this afternoon. Montreal will be better the next game after some adjustments.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Western Conference Finals started this afternoon with Chicago defeating Los Angeles 3-1. The Kings might be experiencing fatigue as both their first and second round series went a full 7 games
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Rangers won the 1st game of the Conference Finals by hammering the Habs 7-2. Habs were due for a letdown after an emotional Boston series and they got it. Rangers were much faster this afternoon. Montreal will be better the next game after some adjustments.
Looks like they'll go as far in this series as Peter Budaj can take them since Carey Price's knee injury will have him benched throughout according to what I just saw on tsn.ca.

Price to miss rest of series as Habs host Rangers on TSN 690
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: Looks like they'll go as far in this series as Peter Budaj can take them since Carey Price's knee injury will have him benched throughout according to what I just saw on tsn.ca.

Price to miss rest of series as Habs host Rangers on TSN 690
Amazing outcome for Alain Vigneault, getting this far, and seeing more open road ahead.

Chicago or L.A. would seem to be prohibitive favorites in the Final against either Montreal or New York.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A bit of a shocker that Therrien has decided to start Dustin Tokarski instead of Peter Budaj. 3-1 Rangers after 2 periods
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:A bit of a shocker that Therrien has decided to start Dustin Tokarski instead of Peter Budaj. 3-1 Rangers after 2 periods
I suppose the thinking was that Budaj has been around for a while, long enough without much of a resume to scare anybody — his last post-season win came in 2002 as an OHLer. So Tokarski, being a lesser known quantity with just 10 pro games under his belt gives NYR something extra to think about. Although with the score as it is, the wisdom of that thought process would remain to be seen.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Budaj's track record in playoffs hasn't been stellar. On the other hand Tokarski has a pedigree in big games, World Juniors, juniors and the AHL. He couldn't be faulted on the 3 goals that beat him. He looked nervous in the opening period but settled down as the game progressed. Fortunately for the Habs they have 3 days off before the next game. Time for them to make changes.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer