22,000 sold for home opener

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Just heard that whitecaps games is almost sold out , were the lions are around 23,000 right know.
Whitecaps capacity is much less than Lions (21k vs 27k), with cheaper tickets. On top of keeping the upper deck closed off, they also tarp off parts of the lower bowl at the very back of some sections, under the overhang. So, apples and oranges.

I see it as Lions have sold more tickets than Whitecaps.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Just heard that whitecaps games is almost sold out , were the lions are around 23,000 right know.
Whitecaps capacity is much less than Lions (21k vs 27k), with cheaper tickets. On top of keeping the upper deck closed off, they also tarp off parts of the lower bowl at the very back of some sections, under the overhang. So, apples and oranges.

I see it as Lions have sold more tickets than Whitecaps.

Yes I see that too, Love Pratts rant today how the lions/ whitecaps have a opportunity to really get people excited with the mess the canucks are in right know.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I thought you abandoned the Lions bandwagon and is now on the Hawks' bandwagon.
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:

I have always been a lions and Seahawks fan , we have Seahawks season ticket ( since 1983 ) and had lions season tickets till this year ( since 1982)
Qman
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:

I have always been a lions and Seahawks fan , we have Seahawks season ticket ( since 1983 ) and had lions season tickets till this year ( since 1982)
how can you complain about the attendance over and over ... and your not even going
David
Team Captain

LOL, Wally was on with Bro Jake and Pratt this morning and he mentioned the fact that there are still a lot of good tickets left "which in a way for me is a little bit disappointing (because) it's the home opener, we didn't play here in the preseason, the fact that Travis is having his first start here in nearly 2 years, and the Riders are in town..."

Look, I know he wants to sell tickets to create the best atmosphere for his team, but c'mon. Does he need to go back and watch the Eastern Semi in Montreal again? Or a reminder that the club is already 0-3 under Tedford (including preseason) and have scored exactly 2 touchdowns in that time??

Disappointing? Sure. Surprising, given that it's the summer, a quiet lead-in, and the factors above? No.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:LOL, Wally was on with Bro Jake and Pratt this morning and he mentioned the fact that there are still a lot of good tickets left "which in a way for me is a little bit disappointing (because) it's the home opener, we didn't play here in the preseason, the fact that Travis is having his first start here in nearly 2 years, and the Riders are in town..."

Look, I know he wants to sell tickets to create the best atmosphere for his team, but c'mon. Does he need to go back and watch the Eastern Semi in Montreal again? Or a reminder that the club is already 0-3 under Tedford (including preseason) and have scored exactly 2 touchdowns in that time??

Disappointing? Sure. Surprising, given that it's the summer, a quiet lead-in, and the factors above? No.

And this is a Friday game. Imagine a Thursday. We won't have to wonder a whole lot longer about that as we have two of those in Wks 7 & 9 against Edm & Mtl respectively. Those crowds could easily be less than tonight, especially if we don't soon start showing up in the win column.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
David wrote:LOL, Wally was on with Bro Jake and Pratt this morning and he mentioned the fact that there are still a lot of good tickets left "which in a way for me is a little bit disappointing (because) it's the home opener, we didn't play here in the preseason, the fact that Travis is having his first start here in nearly 2 years, and the Riders are in town..."

And this is a Friday game. Imagine a Thursday. We won't have to wonder a whole lot longer about that as we have two of those in Wks 7 & 9 against Edm & Mtl respectively. Those crowds could easily be less than tonight, especially if we don't soon start showing up in the win column.

Actually tickets are not selling too bad right know , I can not go everyone I have to work tonight so do not blame me for not going or I would be there.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TSN and the Whitecaps are driving the Lions' schedule. TSN needs Friday night football, and now Thursday night football. The Lions, as one of the top draws on TSN, have to do their part by hosting games on Thursdays and Fridays. The Lions and Whitecaps can't play home games on the same weekend unless the Lions play Friday and the Whitecaps play Sunday, as they are this week. Otherwise the two teams have to split the available Saturday dates, which they both prefer. The objective is no longer to put butts in the seats. It's to maximize revenue and enhance the fan experience while dealing with a schedule largely controlled by outside forces.

I have season tickets but I'll likely have to miss three straight home games in August and September because I'm not available on Thursdays or Sundays. It's not a fan-friendly schedule. I am happy to see five home games after Labour Day for the first time in many years, including three games on Saturdays but two of those are 4 p.m. starts. The only fan-friendly home game on the schedule is Saturday, Oct. 10 against Winnipeg and that is hampered by the fact it's on Thanksgiving weekend and some people will be away. The Canucks are also playing their home opener across the street at the same time.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't put much stock at all in the ESF game as a factor. However I totally agree with Skulsky's comments the other day that fans as using their wallets, and rightfully so he admitted, to show how disappointed they were in the Lions' lackluster home performance all year long last year. They went 4-5 losing more home games in 2014 than they had the previous 2-1/2 seasons combined and did so playing a brand of football that was not the least bit entertaining. He acknowledged they need to give the fans a reason to come back but I think the fanbase is jaded after last year. I like the offseason changes and willingness Braley has shown to invest in the coaching staff, tools and environment to help the team be better prepared, more competitive etc. I think the fans are from Missouri though. The are in "Show Me" mode. They don't want to invest in the Lions until the Lions show their offseason investments are showing in the onfield product.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dupsdell1
Champion

Hambone wrote:

I don't put much stock at all in the ESF game as a factor. However I totally agree with Skulsky's comments the other day that fans as using their wallets, and rightfully so he admitted, to show how disappointed they were in the Lions' lackluster home performance all year long last year. They went 4-5 losing more home games in 2014 than they had the previous 2-1/2 seasons combined and did so playing a brand of football that was not the least bit entertaining. He acknowledged they need to give the fans a reason to come back but I think the fanbase is jaded after last year. I like the offseason changes and willingness Braley has shown to invest in the coaching staff, tools and environment to help the team be better prepared, more competitive etc. I think the fans are from Missouri though. The are in "Show Me" mode. They don't want to invest in the Lions until the Lions show their offseason investments are showing in the onfield product.

Just heard on 1040 expecting close to 23,000 lowest crowed for a opening night since 2011 at empire field.
J5V
Rookie

A few years of mis-pricing tickets and this is what you get. Two years of trying to charge the same for the top row in the stadium as the first row (how'd that work out ?) and no break for people bringing their kids (as, of course, the family zone for $ 30 was the first to go this year.)
Last edited by J5V on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:TSN and the Whitecaps are driving the Lions' schedule. TSN needs Friday night football, and now Thursday night football. The Lions, as one of the top draws on TSN, have to do their part by hosting games on Thursdays and Fridays. The Lions and Whitecaps can't play home games on the same weekend unless the Lions play Friday and the Whitecaps play Sunday, as they are this week. Otherwise the two teams have to split the available Saturday dates, which they both prefer. The objective is no longer to put butts in the seats. It's to maximize revenue and enhance the fan experience while dealing with a schedule largely controlled by outside forces.

I have season tickets but I'll likely have to miss three straight home games in August and September because I'm not available on Thursdays or Sundays. It's not a fan-friendly schedule. I am happy to see five home games after Labour Day for the first time in many years, including three games on Saturdays but two of those are 4 p.m. starts. The only fan-friendly home game on the schedule is Saturday, Oct. 10 against Winnipeg and that is hampered by the fact it's on Thanksgiving weekend and some people will be away. The Canucks are also playing their home opener across the street at the same time.
Yep, I've been saying that for at least the last couple years. At one point I even gave a breakdown on which teams had had how many Thu night home games over the last x number of years. We had among the fewest with IIRC Wpg, Edm and Mtl well out in front hosting far more Thu games than anyone else.

[EDIT: here's the post I'm talking about. The 2007/08/02 tilt mentioned below was a Thu game, and we went nearly six years until we had another one on 2013/07/04. Everyone else had at least 2 Thu games in that stretch with Mtl, Edm and Wpg topping the chart just as I recalled above, with 13, 8 and 7 games respectively. It's fair to note that for much of that 2007-2013 stretch, the Whitecaps weren't competing with us for home dates, nor was TSN paying as much for TV rights and accordingly able to exert as much influence of their own on the schedule. We also have branded Thu Night Football now.]

I'm curious to see the size of the Ssk contingent tonight. Which is to say, we know there's some attrition from previous years, but will it come from mostly the Lions' own fanbase, or will some of the Rider fans also stay home? The GWN game last year had 33k and IMHO it was by far the highest percentage of Rider fans I'd ever seen @BCP, whether for a regular season or playoff game, perhaps even also on an absolute scale. If it's mostly Lions fans passing on tickets then the 13th man may not be as much of a factor as one would like.

For point of reference, Ssk was here for the 2002 home finale, the first season of the Ackles II era, with att 25,929. Every Ssk game since then has exceeded this figure, with the last nine visits in a row dating back to 2007/08/02 all topping 30k. So this will almost certainly be the smallest crowd for a Ssk game since 2001.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:TSN and the Whitecaps are driving the Lions' schedule. TSN needs Friday night football, and now Thursday night football. The Lions, as one of the top draws on TSN, have to do their part by hosting games on Thursdays and Fridays. The Lions and Whitecaps can't play home games on the same weekend unless the Lions play Friday and the Whitecaps play Sunday, as they are this week. Otherwise the two teams have to split the available Saturday dates, which they both prefer. The objective is no longer to put butts in the seats. It's to maximize revenue and enhance the fan experience while dealing with a schedule largely controlled by outside forces.

Yep, I've been saying that for at least the last couple years. At one point I even gave a breakdown on which teams had had how many Thu night home games over the last x number of years. We had among the fewest with IIRC Wpg, Edm and Mtl well out in front hosting far more Thu games than anyone else.

[EDIT: here's the post I'm talking about. The 2007/08/02 tilt mentioned below was a Thu game, and we went nearly six years until we had another one on 2013/07/04. Everyone else had at least 2 Thu games in that stretch with Mtl, Edm and Wpg topping the chart just as I recalled above, with 13, 8 and 7 games respectively. It's fair to note that for much of that 2007-2013 stretch, the Whitecaps weren't competing with us for home dates, nor was TSN paying as much for TV rights and accordingly able to exert as much influence of their own on the schedule. We also have branded Thu Night Football now.]

I'm curious to see the size of the Ssk contingent tonight. Which is to say, we know there's some attrition from previous years, but will it come from mostly the Lions' own fanbase, or will some of the Rider fans also stay home? The GWN game last year had 33k and IMHO it was by far the highest percentage of Rider fans I'd ever seen @BCP, whether for a regular season or playoff game, perhaps even also on an absolute scale. If it's mostly Lions fans passing on tickets then the 13th man may not be as much of a factor as one would like.

For point of reference, Ssk was here for the 2002 home finale, the first season of the Ackles II era, with att 25,929. Every Ssk game since then has exceeded this figure, with the last nine visits in a row dating back to 2007/08/02 all topping 30k. So this will almost certainly be the smallest crowd for a Ssk game since 2001.

I say if it was not for Sask tonight 18,000 ladys and gentalmen we are back where we were in the mid 90s 13,000 season ticket holders and going to be averaging 20,000 a game
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

I say if it was not for Sask tonight 18,000 ladys and gentalmen we are back where we were in the mid 90s 13,000 season ticket holders and going to be averaging 20,000 a game
You are probably right, but the good news is that as summer turns to fall and a young team matures and gains experience, the win column will grow and so will the crowds.

It is a rebuilding year.