22,000 sold for home opener

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dupsdell1
Champion

Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I think Ravi's point is not so much about meddlesome ownership, but quite the opposite: that Braley has been an absentee owner to the point of neglect, and I'd say he has a bit of a point there. There were stories/rumours in Tor last year about head coach Scott M wanting to quit after the 2014 season because of low organisation morale (no official practice facility, poor game scheduling, layoffs in business ops, uncertainty in future of franchise beyond Skydome exit, etc, etc). Players were said to be equally frustrated with the lack of a professional sports atmosphere.
I think Braley's ownership in Toronto has been misunderstood. I always thought his main interest was in keeping the bills paid and the team afloat to buy time until an ownership group came along that wasn't fly-by-night like Chen, Skalbania, Schwarz or the Gliebermans. I think when he took over it was because the Cynamon and Solkoloski group was effectively tossing the keys on Cohon's desk with the options being for the CFL to take over running the team, fold it or to sell it to anybody willing to roll the dice to run it as a toy. You can be guaranteed if the league took it over they would've cut back in all areas Braley did and then some because you know the other 8 teams that would have to share in the cost to run the club wouldn't be wanting to contribute a nickel more than the bare minimum to takes to run a very basic football operation.

Just listening to Braley and Skulsky talking to Sekeres and Paterson. MS asked Braley when was it that he decided it was time to sell the Argos. He responded "the minute he bought the team". He said he only bought it with the intent of keeping it going until a new stadium arrangement was in place and he thought that would only take 2 years. He never envisioned the stadium issue would take so long to solve. Apparently the BMO deal took 2 years to put together which I suppose in hindsight shouldn't be a surprise given the number of players it turned out were involved all with varying agendas. It gets me to wondering what would've happened to Good Ship Argo had Braley known when he stepped in it was going to be for 5 years instead of 2. Would he have committed to taking over the team back then? If he didn't would there still be an Argo team today to move into BMO in 2016?

now it is time for Braley to do something with the, lions there is no way this game should not get a lower bowl sellout Against Sask ? if you look at ticket master there are still tons of tickets left this is a n embarrassment to the franchise somebody is not doing there job and should be fired .
Qman
Champion

dupsdell1 wrote:
Hambone wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I think Ravi's point is not so much about meddlesome ownership, but quite the opposite: that Braley has been an absentee owner to the point of neglect, and I'd say he has a bit of a point there. There were stories/rumours in Tor last year about head coach Scott M wanting to quit after the 2014 season because of low organisation morale (no official practice facility, poor game scheduling, layoffs in business ops, uncertainty in future of franchise beyond Skydome exit, etc, etc). Players were said to be equally frustrated with the lack of a professional sports atmosphere.
I think Braley's ownership in Toronto has been misunderstood. I always thought his main interest was in keeping the bills paid and the team afloat to buy time until an ownership group came along that wasn't fly-by-night like Chen, Skalbania, Schwarz or the Gliebermans. I think when he took over it was because the Cynamon and Solkoloski group was effectively tossing the keys on Cohon's desk with the options being for the CFL to take over running the team, fold it or to sell it to anybody willing to roll the dice to run it as a toy. You can be guaranteed if the league took it over they would've cut back in all areas Braley did and then some because you know the other 8 teams that would have to share in the cost to run the club wouldn't be wanting to contribute a nickel more than the bare minimum to takes to run a very basic football operation.

Just listening to Braley and Skulsky talking to Sekeres and Paterson. MS asked Braley when was it that he decided it was time to sell the Argos. He responded "the minute he bought the team". He said he only bought it with the intent of keeping it going until a new stadium arrangement was in place and he thought that would only take 2 years. He never envisioned the stadium issue would take so long to solve. Apparently the BMO deal took 2 years to put together which I suppose in hindsight shouldn't be a surprise given the number of players it turned out were involved all with varying agendas. It gets me to wondering what would've happened to Good Ship Argo had Braley known when he stepped in it was going to be for 5 years instead of 2. Would he have committed to taking over the team back then? If he didn't would there still be an Argo team today to move into BMO in 2016?

now it is time for Braley to do something with the, lions there is no way this game should not get a lower bowl sellout Against Sask ? if you look at ticket master there are still tons of tickets left this is a n embarrassment to the franchise somebody is not doing there job and should be fired .
tons .. now there is 991 left
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
Qman wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:How do you know there are only a thousand left by looking did you count them ?
i counted every blue dot for u. there are 1014
ok I believe you , hahhhahhahhhahah
I hadn't looked at the TM seat map until just now but having done so I have to disagree that there are only about 1000 seats left. With around 27k capacity and 54 sections, that's about 500 per section on average. There's no way I can see taking all the blue dots on that map and fitting them into just two average-sized sections. I'd say behind the visitors' sideline alone (sections 207 thru 221 inclusive), there's about 1000 that could so fit.

My eyeballing of it: there's prob about 2500-3000 seats left which puts the gate around 24-24.5k.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Qman
Champion

initially i just eyeballed it and there are enough blue dots to fill three sections. My understanding is lower bowl sections are around 450 based on prior bc place post reno disclosures i have seen. 3*450 = 1350. thats where i got the 1000-or-so number.

Anyways looks like the lower bowl will be full to the naked eye at least on friday.

Can we stop with the sky is falling *poop* and focus on the football game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:initially i just eyeballed it and there are enough blue dots to fill three sections. My understanding is lower bowl sections are around 450 based on prior bc place post reno disclosures i have seen. 3*450 = 1350. thats where i got the 1000-or-so number.

Anyways looks like the lower bowl will be full to the naked eye at least on friday.

Can we stop with the sky is falling *poop* and focus on the football game.
I agree on your main point. Based on the TM map, visually the crowd will be okay; it is what it is. There are some pockets of empty seats here and there but these are mostly in the darkness at the back of various sections, under the overhang. The difference in atmosphere between a lower bowl sellout and what it is right now doesn't strike me as all that significant. But some observers will dwell on the erosion of attendance in recent years and attendant closure of the upper deck; there is a valid point to be made there.

Last year we averaged 24,786 through our first four home games (all played on Fri's & Sat's). The home opener was on a Sat (Jun 28, a 27-20 loss to Edm) and drew 24,524. Tomorrow's crowd looks to be shaping up somewhere around that.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
BC 1988
Legend

I don't see any chance of a higher gate (than tomorrow night) until October (when the Riders return). TOR, EDM, MTL, OTT are not exactly major draws. (Maybe EDM a bit more, but they're here on a Thursday night in early August.)
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Disappointed the Lions don't seem to be going with a discounted family section this year. Maybe I'm getting old but $44 (with TM fees included) seems steep as an entry point for a CFL game. Whitecaps is $34 with all fees in.
That's the problem with their current advertising--it's all about $35 to start, but turns out to be $44 to get you in.

Right now, the best deal is for Coast Capital Savings CU members. (You have to log into their site with your membership card number, then log into TM by clicking on the BC LIons logo.) Endzones are $30 + $2 service charge. Ignore the price that shows when you hover over a seat, when you select it and add to cart you get the discounted price.

I'm a CC member, and that's what I'll be using this season. I didn't bother the last 2 seasons, because the $25 Global Family Zone beat that. I also like a viewpoint looking down on the field, so the upper level was ideal for me. I don't drink alcohol at games--last season my friend and I were there every game except one when we went to the $30 alcohol allowed zone. Big mistake, surrounded by young drunk rowdies who weren't even paying attention to the game.
dupsdell1
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Disappointed the Lions don't seem to be going with a discounted family section this year. Maybe I'm getting old but $44 (with TM fees included) seems steep as an entry point for a CFL game. Whitecaps is $34 with all fees in.
That's the problem with their current advertising--it's all about $35 to start, but turns out to be $44 to get you in.

Right now, the best deal is for Coast Capital Savings CU members. (You have to log into their site with your membership card number, then log into TM by clicking on the BC LIons logo.) Endzones are $30 + $2 service charge. Ignore the price that shows when you hover over a seat, when you select it and add to cart you get the discounted price.

I'm a CC member, and that's what I'll be using this season. I didn't bother the last 2 seasons, because the $25 Global Family Zone beat that. I also like a viewpoint looking down on the field, so the upper level was ideal for me. I don't drink alcohol at games--last season my friend and I were there every game except one when we went to the $30 alcohol allowed zone. Big mistake, surrounded by young drunk rowdies who weren't even paying attention to the game.

Ok then so we get 25,000 close to a sell out of 27,000 lets live with it and move on it is up to the lions now to win games , play exciting football . to bring the fans back and pack the lower bowl every night.
Qman
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:

I also laugh when their new head of ticketing/sales is tweeting how he at a conference in the US right before their opener instead of trying to sell out this game. Thats a joke.
Last edited by Qman on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dupsdell1
Champion

Qman wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:

I also laugh when their new head of ticketing/sales is tweeting how he at a conference in the US right before their opener. Thats a joke.

They are out pricing themselves in the market , Quote that they have out priced themselves in the market
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

No should question David Braley's ownership of any of his teams in the CFL. Quite frankly without him, this league would have been in dire straits - actually it was and he bailed it out on numerous occasions. You didn't see Jimmy Pattison putting in dead money - which for Braley it is when you're not turning any profit.

Dupsdell - Qman --- are you the same person?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Qman
Champion

no way i would post a thread header as moronic as this one without at least doing a small amount of due diligence before posting .. like maybe go to ticketmaster before posting and take the 10 seconds i did and realize cknw sports (if they even have a sport dept anymore) is full of *poop* and its maybe something i shouldn't post
dupsdell1
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:No should question David Braley's ownership of any of his teams in the CFL. Quite frankly without him, this league would have been in dire straits - actually it was and he bailed it out on numerous occasions. You didn't see Jimmy Pattison putting in dead money - which for Braley it is when you're not turning any profit.

Dupsdell - Qman --- are you the same person?

I am not Qman I heard it on cknw the other day around 22,000 have been sold
dupsdell1
Champion

Just heard that whitecaps games is almost sold out , were the lions are around 23,000 right know.
dawg3648
Rookie

Dude, why do you get yourself in such a lather? We will get between 24K and 26K which, as was previously mentioned, is exactly where we average pre-Labour Day. Would 27K be better number? Sure but there's buyer fatigue in this city right now and hopefully with a good on field performance and a rowdy lower bowl configuration it will be a positive moving forward. Whitecaps have the same number of seats for sale they had three days ago when you declared the sky was falling (1500)...so I'm not exactly sure what your agenda is here but PLEASE, PLEASE take a deep breath, get your orange on, have a couple of beers and enjoy the opener!! You are going right??... seats are available I hear!! LOL