New TV deal announced

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

The big downside is that exposure will be down. It's not just the airwaves, but on basic cable as well.
Unless they work out a deal to air some games on CTV, or cross promote effectively.

Still, I'll take my chances. Over the last 15 years, nearly every MLB, NBA, and NHL Team has taken their ball here in the States to a regional cable outlet. The Detroit Red Wings air their games, almost all of them, on Fox Sports Detroit. When they're good enough, they win the night, beating out most network programming on traditional over-air broadcast. I don't think, over the long term, it has really hurt exposure to the sport.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I remember watching the Deadthings (heheh) on uhf 56 (I think). I guess those days are gone huh? Is Fox Detroit on basic cable?

Just to be more specific about my post, there is a situation here where we have two sports networks, tsn or sportsnet. Basic cable only includes one, and even in this market here some people will get either or, but not both. I know many people who would have to buy extra cable to get either one or the other depending on where they are. Not many of these people do.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

remember watching the Deadthings (heheh) on uhf 56 (I think). I guess those days are gone huh? Is Fox Detroit on basic cable?
Yes, those days are gone. The Wings actually win occasionally.

I only remember them on Channel 50, as 56 was a PBS affiliate. The Wings moved to FSD in 1997.

No, Fox Detroit is not on "basic" cable. In the US, cable companies must sell a package that includes just the broadcast channels available locally, along with public access channels.

The next tier is generally called "basic plus" and includes those locals, plus a package of other cable channels (such as Comedy Central, Game Show Network etc.). Fox Sports Detroit is typically included in those channels.