Leos/Riders Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

These Province article excerpts hit home to me...421 yards of offence, no turnovers, domination for most of the game...and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as the lead title of the article stated.
On a frigid Sunday on the Great Plains, the Lions played their best offensive game of the year, dominated the affair for huge stretches and held a nine-point lead going into the fourth quarter.
And it wasn't enough.

It wasn't enough because they couldn't contain Riders quarterback Darian Durant when it mattered, they gave up too many big play and they didn't land the killing blow when they had a chance late in the third quarter. That, at least, was the precis of a splendid Western semifinal. But it also left too many questions unanswered.

Who, for example, loses a CFL playoff game when they run for 213 yards and don't turn the ball over once? Or, who loses a playoff game when you put together three touchdown drives of over 75 yards while containing the league's self-proclaimed best running back. And who loses when you've got a nine-point lead with two minutes to go in the third quarter and your defence has just presented you the ball on the Roughriders' 51.

The answer, as you may have surmised, is your B.C. Lions, and somewhere in those details was the anatomy of a crushing loss.

But it also went deeper than that. In a marvelous showdown between two warrior-quarterbacks, Durant made the plays he had to in the fourth quarter and Lulay couldn't sustain drives. In the final frame, Durant set up a nine-yard touchdown pass to Weston Dressler with a 35-yard run on a quarterback draw; ripped off a 28-yarder on second-and-10 from his own 23 on, you guessed it, a quarterback draw; then set up Chris Milo for the game-clinching field goal on the same frickin' play.

All told, Durant, who's never been confused with Michael Vick, had six carries for 97 yards. He also completed passes for 53, 61, 61 and 43 yards. The Lions, for their part, didn't have one play over 25 yards – which is remarkable considering they produced 421 yards in total offence.
“We had momentum the whole game,” said running back Andrew Harris, who had 93 yards on 10 carries. “We had the game. We had it. And we let it slip through our hands.”

More to the point, they let Durant slip through their hands.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

Funny how the Lions O never dominated one regular season game, yet did so in the one playoff game. Yet during the season the Lions D basically won games for them, the O as IR didn't win one game outright (unless you count the Bomber game to a degree), and it is that same D that lead them into the playoffs that even had a stellar game for the most part, that the O can say let the win slip through their hands.
Entertainment value = an all time low
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

I am the LION and the ROAR that makes you fear me and is born here inside

I cannot make you love me but i am who am...and it is what it is...

You may come and you may go…but the flame that lives insides my breast will always fire my desire for domination…to be the only one left standing at the end of the day

I will never ever accept less than this
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Funny how the Lions O never dominated one regular season game, yet did so in the one playoff game. Yet during the season the Lions D basically won games for them, the O as IR didn't win one game outright (unless you count the Bomber game to a degree), and it is that same D that lead them into the playoffs that even had a stellar game for the most part, that the O can say let the win slip through their hands.
Would not count the Lions Offence as being part of that win. Adam Bighill was involved in 17 of the lions points, IIRC due to fumble recoveries, sacks, etc.... And other guys on defence did well too. The offence wasn't bad but they didn't win us the game, IMO...........
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

If the Lions take solace in winning the game for 3 Q's and not conclude that the final part of the game (choosing not to stop Durant's runs - yes choosing not to) and doing zip to get the offence rolling again not coaching issues, then they are delusional. I think Mike Benevides has some 'splaining to do as to how this won't be same old next year.

It will be a hard sell if they aren't hitting the re-set button in some way for fans. They have to show they are not going to repeat this crap where they can't run as it's too hard to teach only to find out they can run further than they can pass. That's coaching! Or lack there of.

I want to see some REAL lessons learned from this coaching staff or I can only conclude that MLF will turn out to be right.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

fishman wrote:It becomes almost unstoppable if your nose tackle (Eric Taylor) is held and tackled at the point of attack.

I thought yours was the better team today, but that would have been against the fairytale script the league and media have been writing again this year in regards to the Grey Cup home team.

Next week the Stamps will go down as well, with some tight somewhat dubious calls "not affecting the outcome", while the League and TSN laugh their way to record $$$$.
I spent a little time looking over the GDT at eskfans. Have to admit it was nice reading another teams fans saying what I wanted to say. I don't think the Lions played well enough to win but....
MacNews
Team Captain

We had the momentum after making Saskatchewan turn the ball over on downs. I blame two lackluster running plans on the man calling them, good 'ole Chapdelaine. I seem to recall a distinct lack of passing in the 2nd half.

Why did we not spy Bighill on Durant after his legs started picking up steam? With his glaring error giving Dressler an easy touchdown, can we calll J.R. LaRose this year's Cauchy Muamba? Thanks for your service J.R...but it's time for us to see other people.

Buono better fix that O-Line in time for November, 2014. My only concern has been how long the O-Line has been concerning. Since Murphy and Co. left it's been traumatic. Getting stopped at the 1-yard line? Forget it. :dizzy:

Edit: Correcting team; moderator
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Well, the Lions loss frees up my calendar anyway. Now off to Seattle next weekend for the C-Hox v Vikes. Anyone else?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions4ever wrote:Well, the Lions loss frees up my calendar anyway. Now off to Seattle next weekend for the C-Hox v Vikes. Anyone else?
Nope. Back to PG to load up and get ready to head to Grey Cup!!!!!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:Well, the Lions loss frees up my calendar anyway. Now off to Seattle next weekend for the C-Hox v Vikes. Anyone else?
Nope. Back to PG to load up and get ready to head to Grey Cup!!!!!
Hmmm, novel idea getting loaded prior to going out to GC. :wink:

Have fun at GC and I know that you reserved a room as all veteran GC attendees have.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Don't follow the NFL.... well maybe the Bears because of Marc Trestman
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Cold comfort after the loss but Andrew Harris was named Canadian Player of the Week.

Durant headlines Semi-Finals players of the week
BC Lions running back Andrew Harris was named the Canadian Player of the Week in the Western Semi-Final. Harris ran for 93 yards on 10 carries (9.3 YPC) in the Lions’ Semi-Final loss to Saskatchewan.

Harris also added two receptions for 21 yards in the game.

The four-year CFL veteran from Winnipeg, MB finished the season third in the CFL in rushing with 998 rushing yards. He also added 513 receiving yards and 11 total touchdowns.

This is Harris’ third Gibson’s Finest CFL Canadian Player of the Week this season with his others coming in Weeks 2 and 19.
The problem is we had only one player named for weekly honours whereas Ssk had two.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard an interview with Dante Marsh. Thinks he can play 3 more years. What does Buono think ?
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Heard an interview with Dante Marsh. Thinks he can play 3 more years. What does Buono think ?
Unfortunately for Dante, Taj Smith thinks that he can too. :popcorn:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Heard an interview with Dante Marsh. Thinks he can play 3 more years. What does Buono think ?
Guess we'll all find out soon enough.... IMO, he's certainly didn't slip in order to deserve being cut......(I do realize $$$ always comes into it too)