2019 BC Lions Free Agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm
I think the best way for GMs to deal with the uncertainty of the CBA in terms of date signed and SMS amount, is to offer a variable contract. So if SMS is X dollars, the key player gets Y dollars, and if the SMS goes as high as X+, then the player gets Y+. It is simple, really.
Personally I don't expect there to be much of a jump in the cap, certainly not enough to get into any exotic formulas. The financial numbers coming out of the financial reports of the 3 community owned clubs, who coincidentally held down the top 3 spots in average attendance the past 2 seasons, are still at best modest.

Last time around the cap jumped from $4.4M in 2013 to $5.0M in 2014 with minimums jumping from $45K to $50K. That last new CBA also coincided with the new TSN deal that saw teams get approximately an extra $1.8M annually. There is no such bonanza coming this time. I could see a one time jump of $250K which is less than 5% over the 2018 cap of $5.2M and perhaps a bump on minimum from the 2018 rate of $54K to something like $57K. When one considers the other things that count under the cap such as PR wages and maybe there's an extra $4K per player on the 46. Some fans think they should add another couple players to the roster and a couple more again to the PR. Those additional costs would also come out of whatever overall bump might happen. I think many players will want to see what happens in the new CBA to be sure they don't leave significant money on the table. I think those same players will be sadly disappointed.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Ed Hervey wants BC to be the number 1 choice for Free Agents.

All I can say is good luck to that pipe dream.

Unless a player is from just south of here, forget all this stuff about how gorgeous BC is, this is not a downtown football team as these players can't afford to live dt Van and renting there is not like it used to be - affordable. That was the 70s.

Secondly they train in Surrey.

TSN's Farhan L says Hervey wants a HC by Xmas. Reasonable. All I hope is that he doesn't rush the process. He's basically 2/3 if we believe that Wally was his ONLY choice in BC. He has to have a clear process or it'll be 2 for 4 in good picks.

You can't fault Hervey for Chris Jones going for the big payday.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Adam Bighill said his decision on where to play will be foremost a family consideration. Home in Surrey, he's renting in the 'Peg.

Would he be a Lion pursuit?

I'm sure he loves playing for O'Shea and the Bombers but... with a house here and the Lions want him - hmmm... .It seems his family was in the 'Peg with him this season so not sure if they rent out or leave it vacant.

The GM has no particular reason to want him over needs so maybe there's a local lower price if he was in the market?

Players hugged each other and shook hands in the locker room Monday, knowing the league's expiring collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and reality of the tight salary cap may play a role in who returns.

"It always starts with my family. What's going to be best for my family," said Bighill, the father of a three-year-old son and 18-month daughter.

"From there, you just kind of weigh in the other factors, but most important is family."

He and wife Kristina have a home in Surrey, B.C., and her parents live in nearby Port Moody. They rented a place in Winnipeg after he joined the team during training camp following his release by the NFL's New Orleans Saints.
https://www.timescolonist.com/star-line ... 1.23502942
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Lions resign any of their free agents before Tuesday, can they be announced or do they have to wait till 48 hours after the Grey Cup to announce any news.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Hervey said he will be very aggressive in free agency again so whoever is on his radar likely will end up here. But who is on his radar, other than Mike Reilly?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was always impressed with how long Wally was able to keep both Bighill and Solly on the roster. I don't expect them to be reunited any time soon due to SMS considerations.
David
Team Captain

I can't see Bighill coming back here. He would have had discussions with Ed when he got cut by the New Orleans Saints. And if he wasn't willing to sign for a lower number then, I doubt he would now, especially after enjoying his time so much with the Bombers. Even Craig Roh called being in Winnipeg, "by far my favorite season in my CFL career."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 pm
I can't see Bighill coming back here. He would have had discussions with Ed when he got cut by the New Orleans Saints. And if he wasn't willing to sign for a lower number then, I doubt he would now, especially after enjoying his time so much with the Bombers. Even Craig Roh called being in Winnipeg, "by far my favorite season in my CFL career."

They got some use out of Death Roh. When he was here, either he did not show much, or perhaps we did not know how to utilize his talents. Ummm, methinks the latter.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:58 pm
If Lions resign any of their free agents before Tuesday, can they be announced or do they have to wait till 48 hours after the Grey Cup to announce any news.
Teams have been announcing the signing of their own pending FAs.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Ed might sign Bighill and trade Solly, or trade Solly and have Awe play MLB. I'm glad he extended Herdman.

A lot of who stays or gets FA signings will depend on yet to be hired coaching staff preferences.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Surprised no other Lions have been resigned yet. There are a few Ed needs to sign, irregardless of who the new coach is and on the top of my list is Bryan Burnham.
The_Pauser
Legend

As per Rick Dhaliwal, Jonathan Jennings is done as a Lion. He has told the team he will hit the free agent market.
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 am
As per Rick Dhaliwal, Jonathan Jennings is done as a Lion. He has told the team he will hit the free agent market.
Yeah just saw that. Well, Hervey better be formulating a QB plan with extreme prejudice.

Me, I am going to take some pepto to deal with that sinking feeling in my stomach that Jennings will rediscover 2016 with some other club.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

That is really no surprise. But JJ will have to sign backup money somewhere. No way someone signs him as a starter next year. The question is where does he go? The Riders?
squishy35
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:05 am

That is really no surprise. But JJ will have to sign backup money somewhere. No way someone signs him as a starter next year. The question is where does he go? The Riders?
BLM goes to the NFL; Jennings signs in Calgary and the Stamps don't lose a beat winning the GC next year too...