Official Sochi Olympics - Backes brings home 2 stray dogs

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:....Yes, I am disgusted.

The residents of Sochi will not be able to travel from their homes during the Olympics. And of course they will not benefit financially, or in any other way that I can see.

Corruption off the scale.

I have grown less enchanted with the Olympics over the years. Corrupt officiating. On and on ...
UGHH! Had no idea! THanks for posting WCJ.

I concur with being less enchanted with the Olympics over the years. Sarejevo (Sp?) was the last one I really enjoyed. I was younger then obviously. It just seemed like it was one of those games where everything was relatively nearby. Not like our games where snow needed to be trucked in etc...

I'll watch the hockey but thats pretty much it. I sure hope this is the last of the bad news. I haven't forgotten our games had some bad things happen too. Windows being smashed, Luger dying during a practice run and strange weather. All in all, I was proud though.
You're welcome, nota.

Of all the disgusting things, the one that upsets me the most is the poisoning of the dogs. The dogs no doubt came along with the influx of workers. The Olympics created the problem. The solution? Kill them. Pathetic.

They say that one can judge a society by how it treats the lowest, weakest and poorest members. IMO that is the cats, dogs, pets and zoo animals in our culture. Our society tries (with varying degress of success) to treat them with some dignity. Far from ideal, but we try. Other socities and cultures treat animals abysmally.

It is shameful what the Sochi organizers have done with these dogs.

Many, many scandals involved in these Olympics. Damaging to Putin's legacy, not a crowning glory. Damaging to Russia. Damaging to the Olympic movement.

I would not go there with "free" tickets and transport.

It seems obvious to me that to host an Olympics the infrastructure should be largely in place for decades prior to the event. And then some expansion. This Sochi mess is an attempt to create a huge structure from scratch. With all the attendant problems. Water. Heat. Communications. Sewage. Transport. Safety. Environmental concerns. But ... it was a terrific opportunity for Putin and his pals to make billions of dollars in unjustified profits, on the backs of the Russian people. Disgusting.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Martin St. Louis named to replace Stamkos on Team Canada
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer
Team Captain

Saw some Sochi drinking water....to say the least there is a need for bottled water at this event.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Saw some Sochi drinking water....to say the least there is a need for bottled water at this event.
I don't want to put my butt-wipe in a garbage can, I flush it. THe Sochi toilets don't want TP flushed.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Saw some Sochi drinking water....to say the least there is a need for bottled water at this event.
Saw that... not sure it's actually water.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
I don't want to put my butt-wipe in a garbage can, I flush it. THe Sochi toilets don't want TP flushed.....
Nevermind the two toilets to a stall.....that is a cost saving measure that seems to make it look like a dump.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:
notahomer wrote:
Nevermind the two toilets to a stall.....that is a cost saving measure that seems to make it look like a dump.
Look at the bright side. It could have been 6-hole outhouses....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Like Vancouver, there was a glitch in the Opening Ceremonies at Sochi. One of the Olympic rings failed to light up
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/conditio ... 32-photos/

Despite comments from the Russian Olympic Committee, there appears to be a lot of work to be done
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: How many times will viewers see Putin's face?
Ah yes, the Olympic rings ... errrr
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Stray dog wanders in to the opening ceremonies.

That dayum dog should be treated as a hero.

But, no, off to the Gulag for you. Oh yeah, that would be lucky for the pooch. Probably gonna feed him some of that stuff they used on the other 1000s of stray dogs.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

On a lighter note re the Olympics ...

Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien had a disagreement in 2010. Leno gave up the show to O'Brien but took it back a short time later.

Conan had this to say last night:

"The Olympics start airing tonight on NBC. It's very cool. That's right, NBC has the Olympics. It's a big deal. NBC will finally get to show somebody who is OK with passing the torch."

Ha ha

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And, on a more serious note ...

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2014/0 ... rld-stage/
Winter Olympics 2014 puts Russia’s corruption — and incompetence —on world stage

Diane Francis | February 7, 2014 | Last Updated: Feb 7 1:33 PM ET

In 1787, Czarina Catherine II went to Ukraine and Crimea to inspect her new acquisitions. They had been devastated by war, but when she arrived, her trusted military leader Grigori Potemkin ordered the construction of fake villages to impress the Empress and her allies.

Some historians dispute the story, but “Potemkin Village” is a phrase that lives on to describe anything built that’s intended to deceive others into thinking that a situation is better than it really is.

The Potemkin metaphor certainly applies to the Sochi Olympic Winter Games that began Friday. An unprecedented $50 billion has been spent by Russian President Vladimir Putin to showcase his country’s proficiency, soft power and importance. But the reality is otherwise.

Related
Lawrence Solomon: Russia’s monotowns will drag the country down for decades
Kelly McParland: Snowden, Putin and disinterested Obama punch the lights out of diplomacy
This is the Village that oil prices built and, instead of impressing the world, Sochi is a public relations train wreck. Terrorist threats are so serious that 300,000 tickets can’t be given away and has required the deployment of 50,000 military and police to protect 6,000 athletes from 85 countries.

There are also warnings about mafia and espionage efforts to hack into the cellphones and computers of the attendees and officials.

Unfortunately, the world’s media keeps no secrets anyway. They arrived this week and immediately began tweeting about toilets that don’t flush, tap water that’s orange and the widespread poisoning of stray dogs.

The lead-up to the Games has been dogged by riots and shootings in Ukraine as protesters once again try to derail plans by its President to become a Russian satellite by joining Putin’s customs union.

The Games are becoming a high-profile reminder that doing business in Russia is impossible due to its inadequate and untrained workforce and its corrupt businesses and public officials.

Putin’s big goal, to rebrand Russia as important and a place to do business won’t succeed
This week International Olympic Committee (IOC) official, Gian Franco Kasper, was quoted in newspapers as saying that as much as one-third of the $50 billion has been siphoned off by corruption. One has to wonder where the IOC has been during this carry-on, particularly because corruption equals shoddy, possibly, dangerous workmanship.

Worse yet, a former deputy prime minister in Russia, Boris Nemtsov, said that between $20 billion and $30 billion was spent on “embezzlement and kick backs.”

All this exposes Russia for what it is, a developing nation with oil and attitude.

Even though the country resembles these remarks, it’s hard not to feel sorry for the athletes who’ve put their lives into achieving berths on their respective teams. Hopefully, the negatives won’t affect their enthusiasm, efforts and safety.

Also, to be fair, this is not the first Olympics marred by terrorism or corruption. And perversely holding a spotlight on Putin has breathed new life into protests over Russia’s anti-gay laws and Ukraine’s resistance fighters.

It’s also provided an opportunity for China to cozy up to Russia and its resources. Chinese President Xi Jinping will attend and will be the most important world leader there.

The White House, smarting from espionage whistleblower Edward Snowden’s asylum in Moscow, said the President wouldn’t attend, then named three gay athletes to attend opening and closing ceremonies, a shot against Russia’s anti-gay laws. The snub annoyed the International Olympics Committee leading Canadian member Dick Pound to comment: “This is how the United States of America, the world’s most important, influential nation, handles this issue? In an Olympic context, at a time when you’re thinking about bidding for the Olympic Games?”

Prime Minister Stephen Harper isn’t attending (because he never does unless the Games are in Canada, said a spokesman), nor is German President Joachim Gauck, French President Francois Hollande and British Prime Minister David Cameron. These three normally never miss a photo op but are upset that Ukraine was co-opted by Putin to withdraw from negotiations to join the European Union.

But politics and Putin aside, the broadcasts should be stellar. The setting is not counterfeit and much of the infrastructure impressive.

And Canada should do well. The hottest tickets in Sochi remain the medal playoffs in women’s and men’s hockey where Canada has a good shot at the podium wearing gold medals again.

But Russia’s no slouch on skates and has invested heavily in its athletes. This is why most punters expect a Canada-Russia final in men’s hockey.

Canadian Press predicted 30 medals for Canada, a record number, based on performances in international competitions by Team Canada members in recent years. Vancouver’s Winter Games cost $7 billion and yielded a record 26 medals and 14 Golds, making Canada the top winner.

Russia will be left with many medals, no doubt, but Russia’s extravagant Olympic Park may end up, like Beijing’s and Athen’s facilities, abandoned and a testimony to questionable urban and fiscal planning. At least, however, there will be roads, tunnels and ski hills left behind that may one day become a tourist destination.

However, Putin’s big goal, to rebrand Russia as important and a place to do business won’t succeed. After the closing ceremonies on Feb. 23, it will just be business as usual.
Potemkin Village. Yes.

Corruption big time. Toxic damage? I expect we will be hearing about it. Or maybe not hearing about it. Russian TV edited out the mishap re the final snowflake ring.