Wally Buono won't commit to Jeff Tedford for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:I know it won't happen given the history with Wally, but I think Steve Buratto would be a great candidate for OC here. He's done a great job with UBC this year, he knows the league, and had a lot of success here in CP's MOP season.
He had moderate success as an OC before, but is in his 70's and has been out of the league for awhile.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I have the utmost respect for Buratto and would love to see him return but I don't see him coming back unfortunately. He was let go by Buono and he doesn't rehire people he fire unless you're Chapdelaine and have Geroy Simon and the playersbcouncil lobbying for his return.
leo4life
All Star

Bouno recently stated he wants to win another Grey Cup championship.He will not be stepping down anytime soon :shock:
aklawitter
All Star

i say let him have another chance at a grey cup... somewhere else
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:i say let him have another chance at a grey cup... somewhere else
Do they have a team in Hawaii ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
aklawitter wrote:i say let him have another chance at a grey cup... somewhere else
Do they have a team in Hawaii ?
The NFL hasn't expanded to Honolulu, maybe because there isn't a large enough population for them. It would probably be the right size for the CFL, play wherever it is that the U of Hawaii plays, instead of "Nationals" get them to start 7 Indigenous Hawaiians. :wink:
David
Team Captain

Interesting tweet this morning from an NFL insider.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 46m46 minutes ago
College news: Search firms have contacted @BCLions coach Jeff Tedford, previously of #Cal, to gauge his interest in returning to college.
Scotty (Rintoul) asked him this same question a couple of weeks ago on TSN radio and he seemed incredulous about all of these questions regarding him wanting to get back to coaching in the United States. Stated he's very happy here and doesn't plan to leave.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Interesting tweet this morning from an NFL insider.
College news: Search firms have contacted @BCLions coach Jeff Tedford, previously of #Cal, to gauge his interest in returning to college.
Scotty (Rintoul) asked him this same question a couple of weeks ago on TSN radio and he seemed incredulous about all of these questions regarding him wanting to get back to coaching in the United States. Stated he's very happy here and doesn't plan to leave.

Gary Lawless and David Naylor provided more fuel to Wally returning to the sidelines next season. I get a feeling it will be official a week from now when the off season is officially here.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/cfl-insider ... s%7E755181
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Interesting tweet this morning from an NFL insider.

We will see.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

Wally doesn't wear a head set because his coordinators always call their own plays and the info coming down from the spotters box just confuses him (or confuses him more) during games.

Wally's input to his coaches would basically be "Run the football up the gut more", "Don't blitz" or "Play harder or you'll be cut". :wink:

Basically, other than getting angry with players, Wally's main focus during games was to 1) make calls on third down, which basically involved punting if we were outside the opposition 35 yard line rather than gamble on third and one) 2) throw in a few bizzare game calls and 3) call for the Jumbo short yardage team on occasion (which he coached) if we were third and one inside the opposition red zone and then blame the OC and the offensive line when we didn't make it (and we didn't make it often)

I think Wally will be back. He might as well be the Head Coach anyway. No one is really going to be the Head Coach with Wally here, with the ability to completely run his own show.

Wally sees the incredible potential of Jennings and a team that is young and gained experience. He thinks all it really needs is his Midas touch. He might be successful with this team next season. The odds of an upside are better than a decline.

However, its also easy for Wally to forget, post Bobby Ackles his next three seasons were a decline, and two of those seasons our Leos were less than .500 team and we also began 2011 with a 1-7 record. The 2011 Grey Cup team excitied fans and it was a treat to watch the turnaround. However, since it was Wally's last season, as he wisely retired, he probably remembers that 2011 season well and has mostly forgotten the 3 seasons that preceded it.

My bet is that Wally returns for one season as HC and then hands the job off to Mark Washington.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:
My bet is that Wally returns for one season as HC and then hands the job off to Mark Washington.
I renewed my Season tickets for the 2015 season on the basis that Tedford was hired. I had the belief that Tedford "knows" football and would bring a change in the type of football coaching and our play-calling. These changes were needed based on the unacceptable results over the past few seasons.

I renewed for 2016 because I got a "free" jersey..... and I assumed that Tedford would have a chance to truly put his stamp on the coaching and playbook for the 2016 season. I saw 2015 as only a partial "Telford" coached year with Jones, Cortez, Washington and McMann being not necessarily Tedford's hires... perhaps they filled a void from a continuity perspective, but I also expect more changes in coaches this off season with 2016 ending up as a "pure" Tedford team, coaches and players.

If Blitz's bet is correct, and 2016 is a season with Wally as HC and Tedford gone, 2017 will mark the first year in the past 27 years that I have not had season tickets. The Lions will continue as "my team", but from afar....
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lowell Ullrich reported today that Telford does not have an outclause in his contract, so unless he asks to be released and makes a deal with Buono he will be back in 2016.

PS:

I am new here, This is my first post. Been a fan since 1972; hence the name, an ode to Johnny Musso, the first running back I remember playing for the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:Lowell Ullrich reported today that Telford does not have an outclause in his contract, so unless he asks to be released and makes a deal with Buono he will be back in 2016.

PS:

I am new here, This is my first post. Been a fan since 1972; hence the name, an ode to Johnny Musso, the first running back I remember playing for the Lions.
Welcome aboard, Johnny Musso.

We had some great running backs in those days. Johnny Musso. Monroe Eley. Lou Harris.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:Lowell Ullrich reported today that Telford does not have an outclause in his contract, so unless he asks to be released and makes a deal with Buono he will be back in 2016.

PS:

Welcome Johnny. You chose an excellent name....Johnny Musso was a tough, tough running back. A lot of us on Lionbackers are long time Leo fans, like you.

Buono could also choose to pay out Tedford's contract, should Buono want to be the HC next season.

Judging by Tedford's body language this season, plus other unsubstantiated reports, I don't think this Leo situation turned out as he expected. Tedford is used to being in control and that will never happen for him with Buono here.

Any thoughts?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnnyMusso
Champion

That may be so. But this is the CFL and will Braley be willing to buy him out for not coaching. Also it was Wally that told 1040 that Telford does not have an out clause, perhaps putting an end to rumours that he may leave. I did not hear the interview so no idea what was said. But if Telford is offered a job for a lot of money, than perhaps he will talk to Wally and they will work something out. I don't know. It all depends if Telford wants to leave. Should know sometime after Grey Cup. Usually, CFL wants no news leaked that could upstage Grey Cup.

I do remember Monroe Eley and Harris, but the later not so much. If they had a quarterback maybe they would have been better. Don Moorhead was terrible.