Training camp 2024

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
All Star

Mentioning early season play taking time for teams to gel made me wonder if it is a coincidence Winnipeg plays Ottawa twice in the first 5 games.
David
Team Captain

I'm torn. I love that the Concert Kick-Off is becoming a staple of the Doman era, with crowds in excess of 30,000 and a buzz built around the team.

My concern has been that, while the diehards know that there are only 2 preseason games in which to evaluate and there are fewer padded practices at training camp, casuals are likely not really aware. Timing and sloppiness can be an issue so they aren't seeing the best of CFL football. Fortunately, our Leos have had two blow-out victories to send fans home happy.

This year, we open in Toronto (I wonder if we'll face Chad Kelly or there will be disciplinary action?) so it won't be as bad.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:14 am
I'm torn. I love that the Concert Kick-Off is becoming a staple of the Doman era, with crowds in excess of 30,000 and a buzz built around the team.

My concern has been that, while the diehards know that there are only 2 preseason games in which to evaluate and there are fewer padded practices at training camp, casuals are likely not really aware. Timing and sloppiness can be an issue so they aren't seeing the best of CFL football. Fortunately, our Leos have had two blow-out victories to send fans home happy.

This year, we open in Toronto (I wonder if we'll face Chad Kelly or there will be disciplinary action?) so it won't be as bad.

DH :cool:
The casuals may not be aware of the possible implications of current training camp processes. As casuals they also probably don't recognize any supposed sloppiness in early season games. They're there to enjoy the atmosphere and watch a game without getting wrapped up in the little details or "quality" of play. If their team wins the leave the stadium very happy calling it a great game.

One observance I've made since moving to PG relates to hockey. Junior hockey fans love their WHL hockey. Many like to claim it's more entertaining than the NHL. I long ago concluded that a big part of the entertainment value they perceive stems from the fact that they are kids still. While they are still playing at a very high level they don't possess the same attention to detail as the pros do and tend to make more mistakes which lead to sloppy hockey. But guess what? Those mistakes and turnovers actually create entertainment and scoring opportunities.

So while us hardcore football fans might see a sloppy mistake leading to a turnover or score the casual fan might see an entertaining play.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 am
Mentioning early season play taking time for teams to gel made me wonder if it is a coincidence Winnipeg plays Ottawa twice in the first 5 games.
That's not as bad as 2022 when Ottawa started the season with a home and away series with Winnipeg. Ottawa lost both but easily could have won both.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.