Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

There seemed to be a lot of 1 year FA signings by all teams.

A good read and Betts like the vibe with the staff etc but hasn't met the HC.

Betts is like Nathan Rourke and any player who blends optimism with realism but lets optimism drive his decision to give it a shot.
He knows the challenge.
Most of his contact has been with Rob Lohman, the Lions’ director of pro scouting, though Brad Holmes, the club’s general manager, got involved last week as Betts was making his final decision.
Mathieu Betts confident about NFL shot despite no guarantee from Detroit Lions
By John Hodge -February 15, 2024
“You can’t buy experience and I’m trying to explain that to younger players. Some of them get it and some of them will get it (as they get older), but when you get to a training camp in the NFL and then you play four seasons in the CFL, you see good players, you acquire experience, you see the pre-snap keys quicker, so it just helps you make more decisive decisions and playing faster,” he said.

“I don’t think there’s anything that I did five years ago that I don’t do better now, so I feel like I’m in a better situation football-wise to make an NFL roster.”
https://3downnation.com/2024/02/15/math ... oit-lions/

Is Tim White deluding himself a bit here? Not sure if BC is interested in him even if he were to take $250K as he's shown potential if he has a QB but he's not the star that was a FA this year. Schoen took $230,000 and $300K looks unrealistic.

He's no doubt holding out now as he knows someone will sign him in the CFL and knows that GM Ed Hervey is prone to blink in negotiations and open the cheque book.

‘This is not a goodbye’: Tim White, Ticats have mutual interest in return but CFL all-star won’t budge on price
By Justin Dunk -February 15, 2024

He has no worry about a CFL contract this year. It will happen. It's just about the money he can get and he may have drop down as this article suggests but I don't think he's at risk of not getting signed somewhere. He may think he's in "God's hands" but he's really dealing with the hands held by the devils - the GMs of the CFL.
According to sources around the league, if White would be open to coming down in the $250,000 range, multiple rival teams would be interested in signing the dynamic target. However, he has not yet accepted that and took to Twitter to defend his position.
“I see a lot of negatives on my name, ‘hoping I’m ready for life after football’ and so (forth). There isn’t a situation I haven’t been in before and I’m absolutely prepared for the worst. I’m in God’s hands and that’s where I’ll remain.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The 2024 market for receivers is set. Schoen, Hollins and Hatcher all signed for $220,000 to $230,000. Rhymes signed for less. White is good but he isn’t worth a lot more than the other FAs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

In the Lions’ 1st and Now podcast, Matt Baker and Nik Kowalski summarize free agency and look ahead to some of positional battles expected in training camp, with some of the biggest question marks being in the secondary. Baker said the Lions are not expected to make any further moves in free agency.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:44 pm
The 2024 market for receivers is set, Schoen, Hollins and Hatcher all signed for $220,000 to $230,000. Rhymes signed for less. White is good but he isn’t worth a lot more than the other FAs.
Definitely a subtle market correction is unfolding after the Elks threw ridiculous receiver money ($300,000+) at Lawler then Lewis in back to back seasons. I remember the eyes nearly popping out of my head at BC's initial $250,000 offer to Lawler during the 2022 bargaining window and the Elks took it further albeit on a 1-year deal.

Some veteran receivers (Whitehead, Rasheed Bailey, Derel Walker, Duke Williams, Jake Wieneke) probably waiting anxiously to see what happens with Tim White and if offers will then come their way but they better be prepared to be low-balled.

Bailey turned down bigger offers to stay in Winnipeg last season but was always going to be #4 in the pecking order behind Lawler, Schoen and Demski. Now at 30, he is hoping to get a pay raise but might have trouble finding it.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:09 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:44 pm
The 2024 market for receivers is set, Schoen, Hollins and Hatcher all signed for $220,000 to $230,000. Rhymes signed for less. White is good but he isn’t worth a lot more than the other FAs.
Definitely a subtle market correction is unfolding after the Elks threw ridiculous receiver money ($300,000+) at Lawler then Lewis in back to back seasons. I remember the eyes nearly popping out of my head at BC's initial $250,000 offer to Lawler during the 2022 bargaining window and the Elks took it further albeit on a 1-year deal.

Some veteran receivers (Whitehead, Rasheed Bailey, Derel Walker, Duke Williams, Jake Wieneke) probably waiting anxiously to see what happens with Tim White and if offers will then come their way but they better be prepared to be low-balled.

Bailey turned down bigger offers to stay in Winnipeg last season but was always going to be #4 in the pecking order behind Lawler, Schoen and Demski. Now at 30, he is hoping to get a pay raise but might have trouble finding it.
Baker said the Lions are not expected to make any further moves in free agency.
The fair market value for REC at $300K was deemed as just Chris Jones going rogue and if there's a message in just going for the money, Lawler learned it and rushed back to WPG. Granted he had the other legal matter in Winnipeg and maybe it was good to get out of town for a while.

Are some of that list going to be unwanted by anyone? I'd not be surprised if teams feel they have younger replacements although Rasheed Bailey is a solid bet to sign with WPG.

Manny Arcenaux is still out there and he wants a chance to prove himself at a TC. I give him a ton of credit for how he prepares and his team contributions but is that going to enough to get him a shot anywhere this season? He is certainly far more mature than his Manny Show days and not all strong personalities can make that transition.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think Manny needs the same sort of situation he had in Edmonton if he's going to play this year. He needs to find a team lacking depth at receiver with mostly young inexperienced receivers where his leadership skills provide more value than his diminishing abilities.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

J.J. Adams of The Province reviews the Lions’ moves in free agency with Neil McEvoy, with a focus on the signings of DE Pete Robertson and DB Ciante Evans.

https://theprovince.com/sports/football ... gency-2024
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 pm
I think Manny needs the same sort of situation he had in Edmonton if he's going to play this year. He needs to find a team lacking depth at receiver with mostly young inexperienced receivers where his leadership skills provide more value than his diminishing abilities.
Manny needs to take his "make the whole team better" attitude to U Sports and make the whole league better. Would be a good way for the legacy to live on. Same situation as Andrew Harris.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:50 pm
Manny needs to take his "make the whole team better" attitude to U Sports and make the whole league better. Would be a good way for the legacy to live on. Same situation as Andrew Harris.
Harris will be taking his attitude back to his old alma mater the CJFL Vancouver Island Raiders as Director - Head of Operations. That's been known since about this time last year. Not USports but pretty darned close. https://www.viraiders.ca/staff

I'm not sure about Manny but suspect he'll wind up back home in Texas where he and his MannyShow Athletic Development program are currently based.
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:27 pm
don corleone wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:50 pm
Harris will be taking his attitude back to his old alma mater the CJFL Vancouver Island Raiders as Director - Head of Operations. That's been known since about this time last year. Not USports but pretty darned close. https://www.viraiders.ca/staff

I'm not sure about Manny but suspect he'll wind up back home in Texas where he and his MannyShow Athletic Development program are currently based.
I knew about Harris returning to the junior ranks and believe it has already increased an awareness of the team and league across the country. I will follow as best possible just out of curiosity. Without looking I presently know of no other teams in the league.

We need more ex players involved to increase attention which hopefully draws support. I wish Harris good luck with this venture and won't be surprised if it serves as a stepping stone back to the CFL for him a few years down the road. Sounds like a great opportunity to learn.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:54 am
I knew about Harris returning to the junior ranks and believe it has already increased an awareness of the team and league across the country. I will follow as best possible just out of curiosity. Without looking I presently know of no other teams in the league.
Raiders are one of 7 clubs in the BCFC (BC Football Conference) part of the CJFL. Other teams are Westshore Rebels (Langford), Langley Rams, Valley Huskers (Chilliwack), Kamloops Broncos, Okanagan Sun (Kelowna) and Prince George Kodiaks.

Former CFLer Jamie Boreham is HC of the Kodiaks. Former Lion Claudell Louis is DC with Langley. Former CFLers receiver Jay Christenen and offensive lineman Jon Gott are on the Okanangan Sun coaching staff.

There are also 6 teams in the Prairie Football Conference and 6 more in the Ontario Football Conference.

I don't know what pay is like for CJFL coaches. I suspect the GMs and HCs might get a modest salary but most of the assistants might be volunteers or at best get their expenses covered.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:54 am
At least three current Lions came to the CFL directly from the BCFC: Jevon Cottoy from the Langley Rams, Sean Whyte from the same team when it was based in Surrey and WR Kieran Poissant, who is back for his second training camp after three years at the BCFC champions Westshore Rebels. (He's a good bet to stick around in some capacity with the Lions' lack national depth at receiver.) There may be other current Lions who played junior football before moving on to university. Former Lion Adam Konar (Langley) was in that category. The other BCFC teams are Andrew Harris's Vancouver Island Raiders in Nanaimo, the Valley Huskers in Chilliwack, Okanagan Sun in Kelowna, Kamloops Broncos and Prince George Kodiaks. It's good football, but like junior hockey there can be a lot of disparity in talent levels between teams.
David
Team Captain

A mild aside here while we're talking about BCFC (it is the off-season after all). Do our 50/50 sales at Lions games go to this league, high school football, or the BCPFA (or some combination of all minor and amateur football in BC)?

More from a standpoint of curiosity. I don't really care, just as long as we're growing the sport of football in the province. Anecdotally, I observe a fair number of teens and 20-something guys throwing a football around at Kits Beach in the summer, but I live across the street from a Catholic elementary school in Vancouver and don't see ANY kids throwing a football around. It's all soccer and basketball.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:57 am
A mild aside here while we're talking about BCFC (it is the off-season after all). Do our 50/50 sales at Lions games go to this league, high school football, or the BCPFA (or some combination of all minor and amateur football in BC)?

More from a standpoint of curiosity. I don't really care, just as long as we're growing the sport of football in the province. Anecdotally, I observe a fair number of teens and 20-something guys throwing a football around at Kits Beach in the summer, but I live across the street from a Catholic elementary school in Vancouver and don't see ANY kids throwing a football around. It's all soccer and basketball.

DH :cool:
Not sure on the 50/50 other than I believe proceeds go to various amateur causes. EDIT: according to Lions website proceeds go to support BC Amateur Football. I'd think they take all the proceeds and redistribute them amongst a variety of amateur football causes.

https://www.bclions.com/5050-draw/

Same in PG in the pickup sports at school yards etc. I don't go cruising around making note of what I see but anecdotally I see far more soccer and basketball being played by kids and men alike. I don't recall the last time I saw kids tossing a football around. I actually see groups of mostly South Asian men playing cricket. They've set up whatever you call the areas in front of the wickets at a school near me along with a sign proclaiming it home of PG Cricket. A similar group of South Asians is frequently kicking a soccer ball around on the same field. I actually don't see much street hockey but I live right on a major 4 lane artery. I'm sure I'd come across some street hockey if I went back into the residential side streets behind me.

Things could soon change though for football. The Kodiaks will be playing their 3rd season this coming fall. They are hugely popular regularly filling the stands at Masich Place. They could well be leading the BCFC in attendance.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

With Tim White re-signing with Hamilton on Sunday, Tevin Jones is the only American receiver so far since the free agency window opened to sign with another team.

It leaves a glut of veteran American receivers still on the market with many of them having been injury prone or underperformed to see their value take a significant hit on the open market as we now enter week 2 of FA.

Farhan brought up an interesting point on a Regina based podcast last week on how team's scouting/player personnel department is not doing its job if it can't find solid entry level players at three positions — field side corner, 5th receiver and a edge rusher.

Barring a change of heart, the Lions have moved on from the two American receivers they signed as free agents in Rhymes and Whitehead. From a salary perspective they have been replaced by their own recruits — Hollins and Hatcher. The door is open for at least one entry level receiver and another until Hatcher returns.