Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 am
Shiltz has a chance to be QB1A in Calgary, so I understand his decision. The bright side is that he might leave a bit more money on the table for the Lions to retain Betts and Edwards-Cooper.
I think the Stamps will need that this season.

If Montreal has no interest in Betts, then it's likely as Farhan said, just BC or Hamilton.
Using an Hamilton offer to up the BC offer suggests he'd stay in BC (unless he's interested in the high dollars and being closer to home than he is here.)

I'm now assuming from the articles that the Als have the DEF roster they want that turned their season around and they don't need a player of Betts' stature despite he's a local player who is a native French speaker.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:09 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 am
Shiltz has a chance to be QB1A in Calgary, so I understand his decision. The bright side is that he might leave a bit more money on the table for the Lions to retain Betts and Edwards-Cooper.
I think the Stamps will need that this season.

If Montreal has no interest in Betts, then it's likely as Farhan said, just BC or Hamilton.
Using an Hamilton offer to up the BC offer suggests he'd stay in BC (unless he's interested in the high dollars and being closer to home than he is here.)

I'm now assuming from the articles that the Als have the DEF roster they want that turned their season around and they don't need a player of Betts' stature despite he's a local player who is a native French speaker.
Als have come to terms with Stamps national DE Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund. If Calgary doesn't match the Als' plan could be him platooning with Lwal Uguak if he doesn't stick with Tampa. So this might suggest they have moved on from Betts.

3 Down Nation with more details on Lions offer to Oliveira:
The B.C. Lions’ initial offer was a three-year package starting with $250,800 in the first season and growing to $256,800 and $262,800 in the second and third seasons, respectively. The deal could likely have been negotiated to $265,000, $275,000, and $285,000 and Oliveira’s girlfriend, Alex Blumberg, has roots on the West Coast. However, the couple is committed to Winnipeg, Oliveira’s hometown.
Ti-Cats offered him $275,000 ($550,000) over 2 seasons. The bidding war might have at least cost their Western rival another unsigned starter.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In terms of SMS spending limits, I prefer a Cap friendly Stanbeck vs a very expensive Oliveria, so I am quite happy the way things worked out. And of course Stanbeck's salary allows more $ for Betts.

With the Als seemingly out of the picture with signing Betts, I think having a career season playing for rookie D Line coach and future HoFer John Bowman, will be the determining factor in Betts re-signing with the Lions, along with some big $, of course.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Media Availability - William Stanback

Stanback suggests the Lions want a more balanced attack 50/50.

How they told their son they won't be in Montreal - as that's where they live.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Balanced attack. Music to my ears.
don corleone
Starter

Started slow but going good now with interesting changes for all teams. Should be a fun season.

Bombers lose another piece with Ricky Walker going to Calgary which could turn out good plus another hole to fill for Winnipeg.

Best fit for Mathieu Betts is right where he is. Winnipeg could use him but can't possibly afford him withiin the scope of the SMS. Also think Mike Jones would a good depth signing.
don corleone
Starter

Thinking he stays in Edmonton but A.C. Leonard might also be the consolation prize to whichever team loses out on Betts. Could also be just waiting to hear a number before finalizing his deal. One of the bigger pieces out there imo and love him as an offensive weapon. I'd be temped to give him a shot at an inside slot position.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:48 am
Thinking he stays in Edmonton but A.C. Leonard might also be the consolation prize to whichever team loses out on Betts. Could also be just waiting to hear a number before finalizing his deal. One of the bigger pieces out there imo and love him as an offensive weapon. I'd be temped to give him a shot at an inside slot position.
That would be full circle for Leonard. Jeff Tedford brought him to B.C. in 2015 an inside slot. Chris Jones resurrected his career the following year by picking him up in Saskatchewan and converting him to defensive end. He’s more valuable there than he ever was on offence. The Lions already have Jevon Cottoy to play inside slot with the same body type and much better hands.
don corleone
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:20 am
That would be full circle for Leonard. Jeff Tedford brought him to B.C. in 2015 an inside slot. Chris Jones resurrected his career the following year by picking him up in Saskatchewan and converting him to defensive end. He’s more valuable there than he ever was on offence. The Lions already have Jevon Cottoy to play inside slot with the same body type and much better hands.
Not too many out there like Cottoy. His contributions go beyond receiving yards and I believe is faster than given credit for. purrfect age to play a central role as well. All things point to a good year and wishing him the best. Justin McInnis should also benefit from familiarization with the offense and raise his game for a great pair of National receivers.

Good post to put in my weekly plug for Albert Awachie who is similar to Cottoy in size. Depth guy behind Mackie and special teamer. Caught a couple of nice passes once they had a QB that went past his first read.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

don corleone wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:53 am

Good post to put in my weekly plug for Albert Awachie who is similar to Cottoy in size. Depth guy behind Mackie and special teamer. Caught a couple of nice passes once they had a QB that went past his first read.
Those 2 catches for 17 yards he had against BC with Mason Fine at the helm must have left quite an impression on you. :wink: The now 31 year old FB had only 1 other catch on the season and now has 9 career catches for 74 yards and no carries to show for 67 games in his 6 year career.

Having depth behind Mackie doesn't seem to have been a concern for BC. They had Mario Villamizar for 3 seasons and he saw few if any reps on offense although he did record 2 catches back in 2019. Last year they went without a 2nd fullback. I think when they look at special teams now they'd rather use the roster spot a 2nd NAT FB would take up on a LB or DB who is used to pursuing and tackling ball carriers. If they want a back up for Mackie they can always burn a late round pick on one in the draft this year or scrapheap a FA if Mackie gets hurt.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Almondo Sewell asking for his release seems like it might be due to knowing he might not be in their plans next season.

Article says it might be a ratio change.
Montreal Alouettes grant veteran DT Almondo Sewell his release
By Justin Dunk -February 8, 2024
The 37-year-old had one year remaining on his contract with the team and was scheduled to make $145,000 in hard money, but will now hit the market after requesting his release. He played in 16 games for the Alouettes in 2023, registering 14 tackles and one sack while helping the franchise hoist their eighth Grey Cup.
https://3downnation.com/2024/02/08/mont ... do-sewell/
don corleone
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:24 am
Those 2 catches for 17 yards he had against BC with Mason Fine at the helm must have left quite an impression on you. :wink: The now 31 year old FB had only 1 other catch on the season and now has 9 career catches for 74 yards and no carries to show for 67 games in his 6 year career.

Having depth behind Mackie doesn't seem to have been a concern for BC. They had Mario Villamizar for 3 seasons and he saw few if any reps on offense although he did record 2 catches back in 2019. Last year they went without a 2nd fullback. I think when they look at special teams now they'd rather use the roster spot a 2nd NAT FB would take up on a LB or DB who is used to pursuing and tackling ball carriers. If they want a back up for Mackie they can always burn a late round pick on one in the draft this year or scrapheap a FA if Mackie gets hurt.
I'm glad you looked it up to confirm it was Mason Fine that threw those passes. Says something about progressing through his reads to find the open man. Nick Arbuckle has a similar style. Sad reality is there are not enough snaps to go around for everyone to hone their game. Plus you need a rocket arm.

It's not only Awachie that I like at fullback and my main beef is they are seldom used in the offense other than as a blocker. Not to be critical but I think the Lions could use David Mackie more than they do. I do like Awachie's size and athletic ability though.

John Tuck can rest easy knowing he contributed in the Grey Cup with a couple of big plays. More times than not plays to those guys are momentum builders. Declan Cross was a secret weapon for Toronto for years. Calvin McCarty wrote the book.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A CFL overview of where things stand just before Free Agency:

I hadn't noticed the Elks have come to terms with Javon Leake - that might have been the better guy for BC to go after as he just doesnt' want to return kicks, he wants more offensive plays.

Also noted is where BC sits at QB with VA, Chase Brice and Dominique Davis.

Only QBs on the board are Dakota Prukop WPG, Kai Locksley (HAM) and Nick Arbuckle (OTT). Prukop lives in WPG so maybe he'd be more happy there if they want him.

If BC is interested the first two look better picks than Arbuckle who is kind of like the unpredictable Dane Evans and both were inexplicable as to why.

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/02/07/where-doe ... ee-agency/

CFL FA Tracker:

https://www.cfl.ca/fa24/

Is there a future QB in the Combine?

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/08/71-p ... -winnipeg/
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I saw that about a ratio change to have a NAT at DT. Just not sure how they can do that unless they do so from within and they don't really have anybody who could do that save for 6'1 270 Vince Desjardins who is a pending FA. They have come to terms with Adeyemi-Berglund from Calgary but he's rush end size at 248#. The only NAT pending FA DTs are old man Ted Laurent whose best before date was maybe 2021 and Calgary's Derek Wiggan. It would seem that their path to a ratio change on the DL would be thru the DE positions where you know who remains a pending FA.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:20 pm
Also noted is where BC sits at QB with VA, Chase Brice and Dominique Davis.

Only QBs on the board are Dakota Prukop WPG, Kai Locksley (HAM) and Nick Arbuckle (OTT).
If BC is interested the first two look better picks than Arbuckle who is kind of like the unpredictable Dane Evans and both were inexplicable as to why.

https://www.cfl.ca/2024/02/07/where-doe ... ee-agency/

CFL FA Tracker:

https://www.cfl.ca/fa24/
I'd fall off my barstool if Davis was signed for one more year. In addition to the options you mentioned there is also Rider pending FA Jake Dolegala and Taylor Cornelius who is already a FA having been released by Edmonton last month.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.