Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have just announced that Marcus Sayles has signed a two-year extension through 2025.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Per the CBA bonuses must be paid out within 72 hours of the player earning them. In the case of these roster bonuses they are contingent on the player still being on the roster on a specific date. If they are on the roster that date then the bonus has been earned.

There is a provision in the CBA whereby payment of a bonus could be defered if it is so written in the player's contract. But really what player or agent in his right mind would decide the team could keep the money they've earned in January or February and pay it out 10 or 11 months later? As it is they won't be receiving their first pay cheque of the year until a couple weeks into June.

For a Canadian earning a $30K roster bonus in Jan or Feb they could use it in a number of ways. The timing is excellent to make an RRSP contribution before the end of Feb deadline. I'm sure it's the same for the American players who also would have significant financial or tax advantages with getting that bonus payment early in the calendar year. I know I'd rather have the money in hand as soon as possible to take care of personal needs or to invest it so the money can be working for me instead of working for the team.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
don corleone
All Star

Suspense is building. Many rumours about who going where.

Lots of talk also about more talent being open and available to the CFL so not to say there won't be players coming via that route.

Curious about Marcus Sayles and Edwards-Cooper. Would be a nice duo for any secondary that can afford them.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:50 am
The Lions have just announced that Marcus Sayles has signed a two-year extension through 2025.
Good news. At one point I had him as a bubble guy BC might make expendable to clear up a bit of cap space for bigger priorities. However I figured the TJ Lee injury might make him a "must sign".

Of the ten remaining I have 4 "want back badly" candidates; Betts, Hladik, Edwards-Cooper and Knevel. The rest.........except maybe for Jones who can be a handy veteran to have around.......can move on.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:32 am

Of the ten remaining I have 4 "want back badly" candidates; Betts, Hladik, Edwards-Cooper and Knevel. The rest.........except maybe for Jones who can be a handy veteran to have around.......can move on.
Betts was outstanding last year, but need to be cautious of overpaying. I would love to see him back, but also would understand if we decide to put the $ elsewhere.

Hladik's age and being from BC are very attractive. How does Woods' re-signing change things? Is there room for both? The difficult thing with Canadian starters is the premium cost that is needed to keep them. That is what makes it so difficult to have more than 7 Canadian starters. Once their rookie contract expires, sometimes it makes more sense to let them walk in favour of the cheaper US player.
don corleone
All Star

My spider sense must have been tingling thinking of Sayles. Solid piece of the puzzle and one less to worry about. Two years as well. Kudos to the brass on that one.
don corleone
All Star

No point in another thread for league wide discussion imo if that works for others.

That said Landon Rice to the Riders makes a lot of sense.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 am
Hambone wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:32 am

Betts was outstanding last year, but need to be cautious of overpaying. I would love to see him back, but also would understand if we decide to put the $ elsewhere.

Hladik's age and being from BC are very attractive. How does Woods' re-signing change things? Is there room for both? The difficult thing with Canadian starters is the premium cost that is needed to keep them. That is what makes it so difficult to have more than 7 Canadian starters. Once their rookie contract expires, sometimes it makes more sense to let them walk in favour of the cheaper US player.
Woods re-signing would certainly soften the blow if Hladik left. I saw him as more likely pushing Lokombo into the rotational role Woods has held since arriving. Bo is 33 and has been dogged by some injuries the past 2 seasons. He is still a good player but maybe a reduced role can keep him available for the entire season. Woods could be their starter at WIL or MAC. I firmly believe that starting Woods at WIL and Hladik at MAC gives BC their strongest 1-2 punch at those two spots.

To lose both Betts and Hladik though would be a devastating blow to their ratio plans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:14 am
No point in another thread for league wide discussion imo if that works for others.

That said Landon Rice to the Riders makes a lot of sense.
It might be a quasi homecoming for Rice who was born in Brandon and played at Manitoba. However he has spent his entire CFL career in the East going back to spending the 2013 season on Hamilton's PR. Does it make sense for the Riders to add a 36 year old Rice to their group having recently re-signed 38 year old Philip Blake? Those two combined to miss 20 games last season due to injury. Guess it depends on whether they decide to re-sign 34 year old Colin Kelly or Evan Johnson.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David Knevel has signed a one-year extension. The Lions have been busy on the eve of the legal tampering window.

I've always liked Knevel. He’s the biggest player on the team, and is always friendly to talk to, despite some hard luck with injuries that hurt his opportunities to become a full-time starter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Love it. Knevel seems like the gentle giant down on the sidelines. That takes care of all the important pieces on offense. Now on to the 3 starters on the defensive side of the ball.
don corleone
All Star

Watching the paint dry and wondering why a player would give away other teams interest rather than to just wait for free agency to officially open. Even then the player does not have to accept any of the offers tendered. Handy for teams to have other teams register an offer though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:00 pm
Watching the paint dry and wondering why a player would give away other teams interest rather than to just wait for free agency to officially open. Even then the player does not have to accept any of the offers tendered. Handy for teams to have other teams register an offer though.
I really like the Free Agency Communications Window system. I think it brings order to what used to be chaos. Thanks to Ed Hervey when he announced FA signings 1 minute after free agency opened we knew tampering existed.

This system allows for players to talk to multiple suitors over the course of 7 days without having to make a snap judgement within minutes of receiving a flood of calls. It allows teams to gauge if the player has as much interest in playing for them as they do. Don't need to waste time chasing a guy on Day 1 of free agency only to find out he has no interest in playing for you. It must make life easier and more orderly for agents too. Keep in mind a player might only have one agent, if he has one, but an agent could have several clients who are hitting free agency leaving him to deal with multiple GMs for multiple clients simultaneously.

That the player doesn't have to accept any of the offers tendered and that the player's current team gets to review all offers tendered are good things. As all offers are binding teams can't just go out there making offers all over the place. They have to be selective targeting a few priorities lest all of their offers be accepted. Maybe a player only gets 1 offer. That might not be due to lack of interest in him but rather because they have been making offers on other priorities. Those teams might be ready to circle back with big interest once they know how the made out with the offers they did submit. As for the current teams getting to see the offers before taking one more kick at the cat that's all in keeping with the desire to slow down perhaps CFL fans' biggest pet peeve, player turnover. If that final window results in a few players poised to move stay put that's great.
don corleone
All Star

Not sure what kind of market there could be for a #2 with Streveler signing for $120,000. Shiltz or Cornelius would be a good additions. Shiltz may be a bit more accurate, Cornelius may have more upside. Either one at $120,000 would be a great deal.

Pickett rumoured to Ottawa is a big one. Out of the west and a GC long shot but wish him a good year.

Bede to Edmonton shores up another weak link. I have them as serious contenders.

Expecting Sask to make a splash. Oliviera is a well rounded back that can help. I've been promoting Shawn Bane to wr and more Mario Alford opposed to spending money on Schoen. Emilus, Shaeffer-Baker, Picton and Lenius still give them good depth at the position.

Also expect Pinball to retain most of their guys. Barlow was the one I thought might be under the radar but appears to be drawing interest. Now I have to remember how to spell Hajrullahu
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:51 am
Not sure what kind of market there could be for a #2 with Streveler signing for $120,000. Shiltz or Cornelius would be a good additions. Shiltz may be a bit more accurate, Cornelius may have more upside. Either one at $120,000 would be a great deal.
Either one should be in that range. I think Shiltz would be the safer option. Cornelius may have more upside but in a GC hosting year that upside isn't worth much unless he achieves it immediately. I think BC needs to secure the guy who is the better QB in 2024, not the guy who might be the better QB in 2025 or 2026.