Yikes! Lions 2024 potential free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

don corleone
All Star

Appears Maier's re-neg was more a shuffling of the numbers than dissatisfaction with last seasons performance . Upped the bonus to allow the tax savings amounting to more money in the pocket and hearing the same thing in Sask for Trevor Harris. I thought they limited total team bonus payments to $400,000 per season a few years back but it doesn't appear they are sticking to it.

Big SMS advantage as well to have QB #1 playing for under $400,000. That's an extra top tackle or receiver on any team advantage over the Argos and Bombers and won't be surprised to see them re-work those deals soon.
squishy35
Legend

don corleone wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:12 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:27 pm

The sooner I see Cottoy signed the better. Offers so many intangibles entering the prime of his career. I’m sure the Stamps would love to lure him back to his hometown as an ideal starting compliment to a healthy Jalen Philpot. I did see an interview with Dickenson saying they plan to be more active than usual in free agency and they re-worked the final year of Meier’s current deal for more FA leverage.
As beleaguered as the Stamps receiving corps was last year they are a fairly deep group. Clark Barnes, Cole Tucker and Rysen John are all still on entry level contracts. Big question is who will be healthy with Malik Henry and Philpot also under contract after missing the entire year. Barnes ended the season on the six game as well.

As for free agents Hakunavanhu, Colton Hunchak and Tyson Middlemost are players that have been around and know the system. Add Tre Odoms-Duke, Marken Michel and Reggie and that makes eleven of their own to pick from. I think they spend their money elsewhere.

Edmonton is a bigger threat to go after Cottoy imo.

Still wondering what the Lions are thinking for the #2 QB spot with not much out there that fits. It won't totally surprise me to see Dom Davis back hoping for a better year. I thought Mason Fine showed some poise but he needs reps that he is unlikely to see. Nick Arbuckle could also use some love.
Mason Fine is intriging to me. I alway believed that he would show much more with a competent O-Line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't recall there being any limits on bonuses. There are however limits on what a player can receive for housing and travel allowances and appearance allowances.

Signing bonuses tend to be like roster bonuses. Both count against the cap. Both are lump payments that lessen the tax burden on the player ergo more after tax money into their wallets.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:51 am
Mason Fine is intriging to me. I alway believed that he would show much more with a competent O-Line.
Mason Fine reminds me of Isaac Harker.
don corleone
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:55 am
I don't recall there being any limits on bonuses. There are however limits on what a player can receive for housing and travel allowances and appearance allowances.
Appears it was only for the 2022 season. The tax avoidance is disrespectful to taxpayers imo not that that ship hasn't already sailed some time ago.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/22/abso ... sultation/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:45 am
Appears Maier's re-neg was more a shuffling of the numbers than dissatisfaction with last seasons performance . Upped the bonus to allow the tax savings amounting to more money in the pocket and hearing the same thing in Sask for Trevor Harris. I thought they limited total team bonus payments to $400,000 per season a few years back but it doesn't appear they are sticking to it.

Big SMS advantage as well to have QB #1 playing for under $400,000. That's an extra top tackle or receiver on any team advantage over the Argos and Bombers and won't be surprised to see them re-work those deals soon.
It would be a volatile discussion for the Argos to try renegotiating Kelly's deal given the ink is barely dry on the deal he agreed to 4-1/2 months ago. For all intents it really hasn't kicked in yet. He is to receive a $250K signing bonus that would be nullified if he were to get an NFL offer. Presumably that won't get paid out until after the NFL window for signing CFL players under contract closes in early February. There is no way a GM can go to a player and say "My bad. I know you haven't received a dime yet but I want a redo on that contract I agreed to a few months ago" without the whole situation turning into the ugliest form of ugly.

BLM and Harris had significant injury issues last year. Given thw past 3 years Bo continues to be susceptible to injury and Harris at 38 also carries the risk of injury or declining performance coming off that injury. Maier is more of a performance risk. Collaros has been CFL MOP 2 of the last 3 years and Kelly was runner-up last year. Neither have the warts the other 3 do......at least not yet.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:10 pm
Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:55 am
Appears it was only for the 2022 season. The tax avoidance is disrespectful to taxpayers imo not that that ship hasn't already sailed some time ago.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/22/abso ... sultation/
Probably a Covid related measure as they certainly weren't yet out of the woods and back to normal going into 2022.
don corleone
All Star

No disrespect but thinking the Lions go younger unless there is something about Kienan LaFrance beyond his on field performance that they like.

Albert Awachie is one FA that would be a good replacement imo. Size and athletic ability being his main attributes. He even looked good on a couple of passes late in the season once they found a QB that had time or could look past the first read. Good on special teams as well.

Ante Milancovic-Litre is similar but maybe more expensive. Simon Fraser roots.

Main reasoning is that I expect the Riders to be in on Oliviera or Ouellette trying to boost their run game and will have no room for A.A. They also have Bertrand-Hudon still on an ELC. I also expect the Riders to spend big in an effort to get the combine turned and headed in a better direction. Stay tuned on that one.
OV:54-40
Starter

don corleone wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:07 am
No disrespect but thinking the Lions go younger unless there is something about Kienan LaFrance beyond his on field performance that they like.

Albert Awachie is one FA that would be a good replacement imo. Size and athletic ability being his main attributes. He even looked good on a couple of passes late in the season once they found a QB that had time or could look past the first read. Good on special teams as well.

Main reasoning is that I expect the Riders to be in on Oliviera or Ouellette trying to boost their run game and will have no room for A.A. They also have Bertrand-Hudon still on an ELC. I also expect the Riders to spend big in an effort to get the combine turned and headed in a better direction. Stay tuned on that one.

Awachie is, it seems, strictly a CFL H-back type, so he would be competing with Mackie for playing time and is likely to get zero CFL opportunity to play tailback and carry the ball; LaFrance OTOH is a tailback type who has proved some things in the CFL; M-Litre has the size to play both spots but has plenty of CFL experience as a ball carrying tailback.

There are usually some bigger powerback RB types up every CFL draft; often guys who were very accomplished and productive ball carriers in college ball; Chris Jones drafted one of these types 2 years in a row (B-Beaulieu (Carabins) & JP Cinamkinda (GGs) ) but they got zero RB carries in ex. games and got cut last TC = available for all other CFL teams to sign or try - but these type RBs from U Sports ball are not valued/respected much by typcial CFL thinking now.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:

The Lions are long overdue to focus on offensive players in the draft. Have done a terrific job stockpiling excellent talent on the defensive side but some national depth is needed at RB, OL and receiver, especially if the plan is to start 2 nationals this season (need to sign Cottoy).
Ironically 6-foot-6 Nick Mardner sits 6th in the current 2024 draft rankings, exactly where the Lions will be selecting. Dressed for only 4 games with Auburn this past season after transferring from Cincinnati.

Guessing they have designated at least $250,000 of their cap going to Betts. It will get real interesting if he signs with an NFL team or opts to play closer to home and how the Lions use that money on other FAs and employ their ratio.
don corleone
All Star

OV:54-40 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:36 pm
Awachie is, it seems, strictly a CFL H-back type, so he would be competing with Mackie for playing time and is likely to get zero CFL opportunity to play tailback and carry the ball; LaFrance OTOH is a tailback type who has proved some things in the CFL; M-Litre has the size to play both spots but has plenty of CFL experience as a ball carrying tailback.

There are usually some bigger powerback RB types up every CFL draft; often guys who were very accomplished and productive ball carriers in college ball; Chris Jones drafted one of these types 2 years in a row (B-Beaulieu (Carabins) & JP Cinamkinda (GGs) ) but they got zero RB carries in ex. games and got cut last TC = available for all other CFL teams to sign or try - but these type RBs from U Sports ball are not valued/respected much by typcial CFL thinking now.
Good post and agree about David Mackie being a similar player as the two I mentioned. I was looking at the F.A. list.

Acknowledging his role as a blocker it surprises me they rarely go to Mackie as a ball carrier even though he has done well in the role when given past opportunity. Not that the other guys are not good but a couple of touches per game gives one more variation of a formation the defence needs to account for. I also get it is not as simple as I want it to be.

Marco Dubois is another who makes plays but seldom gets used on offense.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:10 am
don corleone wrote:

The Lions are long overdue to focus on offensive players in the draft. Have done a terrific job stockpiling excellent talent on the defensive side but some national depth is needed at RB, OL and receiver, especially if the plan is to start 2 nationals this season (need to sign Cottoy).
Ironically 6-foot-6 Nick Mardner sits 6th in the current 2024 draft rankings, exactly where the Lions will be selecting. Dressed for only 4 games with Auburn this past season after transferring from Cincinnati.

Guessing they have designated at least $250,000 of their cap going to Betts. It will get real interesting if he signs with an NFL team or opts to play closer to home and how the Lions use that money on other FAs and employ their ratio.
Need to see how much things change with the January rankings. In August Kurtis Rourke was ranked #1. Having gone thru the transfer portal and using one final year of eligibility he will move to the 2025 draft. It's extremely likely the next two Wallace and Benedet will have significant NFL interest. Both could wind up being drafted down there. If not they will almost assuredly land UDFA deals which could push Mardner up into a top 3 spot after CFL teams weigh the impact of the NFL Draft. He also could drop. After transferring to Auburn this year he only played in 4 games and didn't record a catch.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

don corleone wrote:

LaFrance was a case of needing a depth guy behind Mackie. Having moved on from Villamizar they only had Mackie. Conveniently the Riders waived LaFrance around the same time. Turning 33 in May his contribution is purely S a depth player. He hasn't hit double digit carries in a season since 2018. Better off getting a Canadian RB in the draft or scrap heap a younger guy.

I'm not expecting BC to blow big money on a FA running back. Off the 3 often mentioned pending FAs Ouellette definitely would be more expensive than BC would like to spend. He could well wind up being the 2nd highest paid after Oliviera of he doesn't flee south. Stanback and Carey would be more affordable but I don't think either one is the force they used to be. Injuries have taken their toll.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Don't expect the Lions to enter the bidding for a starting free-agent running back. Co-GM Neil McEvoy says the Lions are banking on Taquan Mizzell blossoming in his second year in the league, and he particularly likes the way Mizzell blocked for Vernon Adams.
“I felt that he had a lot of good games. The one thing that we were nervous about coming out of training camp last year was, ‘Is he going to have the ability to block and protect the quarterback?’ At the end of the day, that was probably one of his stronger points, being able to protect Vernon,” McEvoy explained.

“He did have some tremendous games running the ball and I think if we gave him the ball more then he would probably show us that he is as good as what we needed and wanted.”
McEvoy would not entirely rule out adding a running back in free agency, but the team’s financial priorities remain focused elsewhere. That means that the starting job will likely be Mizzell’s to lose, unless another lesser-known back emerges in training camp.
B.C. Lions banking on ‘better showing’ from RB Taquan Mizzell in year two
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Timely article given the recent conversations in this thread. I'm not surprised as I think given the makeup of the offense they aren't willing to spend much of their budget in the backfield. Want to spend big $ on a tailback means letting somebody like Cottoy or Hollins walk.

I can understand where McEvoy is coming from on the 2nd year things. Everybody who was disappointed that BC let James Butler go is conveniently forgetting he was nothing special in his first year with BC when he ran for 497 yards in 11 games before chalking up 1060 in 17 games in his 2nd year. With Smoke's 773 yards in 14 games he was well ahead of Butler's first year pace. I think the level of concern over BC's 2023 running game mirrors the level of concern we had after Butler's first season.

Maybe McEvoy's idea of patience is all we need but as we all know when it comes to sports fans patience is not a virtue
We sports fans are the uber-millenials. We want eveything and we want everything NOW!!! LOL.