WF Review

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:34 am
Prairie fans who claim to embrace the winter elements are the ones lobbying Randy Ambrosie to move the season up even further. If they have their way, the Grey Cup would be played at the end of October or start of November. I’d much rather keep the traditional November playoff schedule, and just increase the number of all-weather stadiums.
Increasing the number of all weather stadiums is fantasy. We can't get an Atlantic Canada CFL team because politicians don't want to spend tax dollars on stadiums that benefit private franchise owners AND the financial realities of the CFL are such that private capital for building stadiums is a non starter. Add in today's high interest rates and huge government indebtedness, few game day stadium sell outs, and frankly, I will just be happy if the CFL survives the next decade.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:37 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:34 am
Prairie fans who claim to embrace the winter elements are the ones lobbying Randy Ambrosie to move the season up even further. If they have their way, the Grey Cup would be played at the end of October or start of November. I’d much rather keep the traditional November playoff schedule, and just increase the number of all-weather stadiums.
Increasing the number of all weather stadiums is fantasy. We can't get an Atlantic Canada CFL team because politicians don't want to spend tax dollars on stadiums that benefit private franchise owners AND the financial realities of the CFL are such that private capital for building stadiums is a non starter. Add in today's high interest rates and huge government indebtedness, few game day stadium sell outs, and frankly, I will just be happy if the CFL survives the next decade.
You're right on government financing challenges, especially in the smaller Atlantic provinces and now with the global issues of climate, pandemics, inflation and other priorities - this is not likely in Canada.

I'm not at all pessimistic that the CFL will not survive.

It just needs those with the right vision and skills in executing to thrive beyond where we are today.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy