Lions at Argos Oct. 8, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:20 pm
Adams looked dazed and confused throughout most of the game.
Pretty much describes our Head Coach most of the time too. :roll:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:05 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:00 pm
Atrocious coverage by Sayles
Can someone tell me how he was a West All-Star with Winnipeg?

I didn’t think Sayles deserved to be an all-star in 2019. TJ Lee had a much better season overall but Sayles had 2 pick-6s and 3 forced fumbles,
and that captured voters’ attention.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

What irks me is that was just Tommy Nield’s 6th catch of the season. The man assignment wasnt exactly a tall order against the 2nd year national and he was beaten by at least 3 steps on the post route
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

We all see VA's continuing skittishness in the pocket plus his typically late and off-target passes, we've seen the less than stellar play of Sayles (regularly) and Lee (of late), and this game we noted the large number of penalties, and of course there's the ongoing less than exciting return game on teams... But what annoys me as much as anything, and we all see it I know, is the ongoing lack of creative play-calling and/or QB execution to take full advantage of Cottoy's skills as a receiver, not just a blocker.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions their own worst enemy. 13 penalties 130 yards. Adams still struggling to find his accuracy. Continuing to overthrow and throwing behind receivers.
maxlion
Legend

Sayles is fast and a good tackler, but when it comes to covering the receiver, he seems to be the weak link.

Adams reminds me of Fajardo. Great runner, decent arm, but has problems reading defences and gets flustered under pressure. Right now, the qb depth in the CFL is so weak that he is probably still a decent option as a starter. I'd like to see him run more, but that would also increase the risk of injury. A QB has to be able to have composure under pressure, find the outlet passes and go through reads. I'm not sure an OC can scheme around a QB that can't do that well.

Our defensive line has become a strength, and the offensive line seems capable. This is a big improvement over the last few years, a positive sign for the future.

Looking at the league today, there's the Bombers and Stamps and then everyone else, and I'm not sure about the Stamps. I can imagine the Lions possibly beating the Stamps in the western semis, but then going on to beat Winnipeg seems very unlikely.

It's a difficult time to be a fan. Too many penalties and delays, TSN coverage is so so, empty stands, offences generally struggling. Lots of issues with the CFL these days.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

What was the HC thinking, early in the game when they went with a 3rd and 7 gamble (Adams' inconsistent accuracy made it even more of a gamble) instead of kicking a FG?

Lions need to reduce the pocket passing plays and increase the QB roll out passing plays.

And I agree with previous posts: Lions need to get Cottoy more touches.
Last edited by DanoT on Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blew Jays playing at the same time certainly didn't help the attendance.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:12 pm
Blew Jays playing at the same time certainly didn't help the attendance.
Well that won't be a problem the rest of this season. That was a collapse the Leafs would have been proud of.
Walt67
Starter

maxlion wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:02 pm
Sayles is fast and a good tackler, but when it comes to covering the receiver, he seems to be the weak link.

Adams reminds me of Fajardo. Great runner, decent arm, but has problems reading defences and gets flustered under pressure. Right now, the qb depth in the CFL is so weak that he is probably still a decent option as a starter. I'd like to see him run more, but that would also increase the risk of injury. A QB has to be able to have composure under pressure, find the outlet passes and go through reads. I'm not sure an OC can scheme around a QB that can't do that well.

Our defensive line has become a strength, and the offensive line seems capable. This is a big improvement over the last few years, a positive sign for the future.

Looking at the league today, there's the Bombers and Stamps and then everyone else, and I'm not sure about the Stamps. I can imagine the Lions possibly beating the Stamps in the western semis, but then going on to beat Winnipeg seems very unlikely.

It's a difficult time to be a fan. Too many penalties and delays, TSN coverage is so so, empty stands, offences generally struggling. Lots of issues with the CFL these days.
You make a lot of good points - I like your comparison of VA to Fajardo. And sadly agree with your thought on the number of dreadful penalties. Many were warranted but some others, like the bogus horse collar call were not. It honestly has gotten to the point that on every big play I cannot get excited but watch the bottom right of the TV screen where the "flag" icon appears before I can enjoy it. I've called it the Canadian Flag League for years and yesterday underlined it.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:02 pm

Well said maxlion. My interest is waning too. Rourke was not just a breath of fresh air for the Lions but for the entire league where poor offensive play has become the norm for too many teams.
The fact the 5-10 Tiger-Cats are in great shape to lockdown a playoff spot in a 9 team league is telling.

Where would the Lions be if he didn't get hurt? 13-2? Don't think they would have lost at home to the Riders in late August (their last win!) or in Montreal and Toronto. We should be looking forward to a huge home game against Winnipeg and instead it's all but certain they will finish 3rd. I would say we should know in a couple of weeks if there is any chance he is coming back.
OV:54-40
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:14 pm
David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

I didn’t think Sayles deserved to be an all-star in 2019. TJ Lee had a much better season overall but Sayles had 2 pick-6s and 3 forced fumbles,
and that captured voters’ attention.

All-star voters often go with the most glaring or glory stats.

Sayles can't cover or tackle well enough for a starter IMO - big-time over-rated by some (including a CFL coach or two). Might be a decent back-up DB as an injury replacement for a team with little depth.

TJ Lee maybe struggling lately, but IMO he's one of the most talented D-backfielders in the CFL of the past number of years ...

... Not sure this Lions' DC has it for game plans, adjustments or utilizing the best personnel in the right spots.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

1. Lions punter looked like he was hungover (joking but I heard later on the broadcast it was his birthday Sat.

2. I don't think I saw a screen until the second half.

3. Lions schemes are not made for a QB like Vernon Adams. He started slow and that hurt. Adams played too slow to start (Just like Cornelius did in the Elks decimation).
Moments of brilliance.

4. Predictive schemes led to breakdowns in the O-Line.

The offensive play calling across the CFL with some teams (not Buck's Bombers, or DD's Stamps) is suspect this year.

5. When Argos called a Time Out leaving the Lions kick team on the field the Lions should have planned a TO (if they had one left) and got Sean Whyte off the field so it was BC screwing with the Argos not the kicker getting rattled. It looked like an awkward placement of the hold but the wait did seem to rattle Sean Whyte and the snap it seemed. Coaching as all they needed to do there was get a FG.

6. How do pros get sucked in by the QB's changed up cadence - TWICE - on the same crucial drive? These guys are pros and for sure they've seen all that tricky stuff from minor to college football. Coaching failure as much as players with heads not in the game.

7. DEF call and Rick Campbell's statement:

“We’ve got to make sure we know where help is and when we choose to zero blitz, we’ve got to make sure we get home in a timely manner. It’s hard on the DBs if you’re zero blitzing and you don’t get home,” head coach Rick Campbell noted post-game. “That’s part of football though; when you zero blitz, we call it a hero/zero type deal. It can be really good for the defence or not.”

JC Abbott responds:

"To be frank, the bust highlights a serious concern I’ve had with the Lions of late. For years, I’ve lauded their secondary, while harping on the defensive line and linebackers. While the latter are now playing excellent football, the former looks off."

Overall:

Fans can't be too critical as if Rourke were there they'd likely be firing on all cylinders as this guy showed no signs of failing.

BC is not going to be an exciting team this season unless Nathan Rourke makes a comeback.

Vernon's ego is not likely to accept more Pipkin but something on offence is needed when VA is not on fire.

That slow start is a coaching issue where VA holds when he can't see the field.
Compare that to Collaros - coached to get the ball the bleep out of there - and he does! Coaching.

The Lions have QBs 1 and 2 both go down and O'Connor wasn't given much time in real games anyway.

Much like Mike O'Shea and Buck Pierce not hooking Zach Collaros until basically 4 minutes in the game despite a large lead. And, in a game were both Procup and Brown the Bombers back ups did good things when they were in.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The sudden change in defensive play-calling at the end of the game was the biggest reason for the loss. A week after being repeatedly called out for sticking with a “bend-but-don’t-break” top-down zone scheme, Ryan Phillips blitzed on all 3 plays on the Argos’ 70-yard drive for the game-winning touchdown. He then blitzed again on second and 10 on the Argos’ final possession, opening a huge hole in the middle for pocket passer McLeod Bethel-Thompson to scramble for a season-high 17-yard gain. The Argos then ran out the clock. The Lions risked everything in a vain attempt to get to the QB, and lost the game as a result.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:13 am
The sudden change in defensive play-calling at the end of the game was the biggest reason for the loss. A week after being repeatedly called out for sticking with a “bend-but-don’t-break” top-down zone scheme, Ryan Phillips blitzed on all 3 plays on the Argos’ 70-yard drive for the game-winning touchdown. He then blitzed again on second and 10 on the Argos’ final possession, opening a huge hole in the middle for pocket passer McLeod Bethel-Thompson to scramble for a season-high 17-yard gain. The Argos then ran out the clock. The Lions risked everything in a vain attempt to get to the QB, and lost the game as a result.
I have to go back and watch the late plays of the game, especially the sequence of blitz. I remember thinking that they were not schemed very well as everybody seemed to be coming up the middle and were being picked up or getting stopped by all the bodies in front. I don't remember players coming off the edge to get the QB rattled. It may be something that Phillips is not familiar with designing, but surely Campbell is well experienced to design an effective blitz package.