Lions new receiver Shai Ross

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

But can he catch a football in a crowd ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I don't know if he can catch a football. I also don't know why a HC/GM like Chris Jones who loves athletic freaks and the different things he can accomplish with an athlete like Shai Ross, would cut this type of player. The whole thing seems kinda suspect to me. :dizzy:

Did Jones want to convert Ross into a rush end, or LB, or Free Safety, and Ross refused? Still, I'm glad Shai Ross is now a Lion and didn't HC Campbell already have Ross returning punts in the last game?

Or maybe Jones isn't the great player evaluator/innovator that many of us had thought.
OV:54-40
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 am
I don't know if he can catch a football. I also don't know why a HC/GM like Chris Jones who loves athletic freaks and the different things he can accomplish with an athlete like Shai Ross, would cut this type of player. The whole thing seems kinda suspect to me. :dizzy:

Did Jones want to convert Ross into a rush end, or LB, or Free Safety, and Ross refused? Still, I'm glad Shai Ross is now a Lion and didn't HC Campbell already have Ross returning punts in the last game?

Or maybe Jones isn't the great player evaluator/innovator that many of us had thought.

Ross flashed some decent receiver skills for the EE last season IMO - and he was not a high draft pick expected to do much. Jones is clueless and has a converted rookie American QB brand new to Canadian football starting at receiver there now.

Ross is a super athletic guy, AND can return punts well as in last game - take some heat off Whitehead who can stick to receiver mostly but still be thrown back there at a strategic time to try to break a big one. Big gift to an already deep roster IMO.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

OV:54-40 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:15 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:27 am

Ross flashed some decent receiver skills for the EE last season IMO - and he was not a high draft pick expected to do much. Jones is clueless and has a converted rookie American QB brand new to Canadian football starting at receiver there now.

Ross is a super athletic guy, AND can return punts well as in last game - take some heat off Whitehead who can stick to receiver mostly but still be thrown back there at a strategic time to try to break a big one. Big gift to an already deep roster IMO.
Exactly! Chris Jones doesn't seem to know what he is doing at this point.
David
Team Captain

I was impressed by Ross last game. Receives the punt and heads straight up field. No dicking around. I believe he had a 12.5 yard return average. I can't believe he was just 'cut' by Edmonton (well, let me re-think that one...lol).

Can you imagine if we get our return game in order and start breaking some long kick-offs?!? :roar:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 am
I was impressed by Ross last game. Receives the punt and heads straight up field. No dicking around. I believe he had a 12.5 yard return average. I can't believe he was just 'cut' by Edmonton (well, let me re-think that one...lol).

Can you imagine if we get our return game in order and start breaking some long kick-offs?!? :roar:

DH :cool:
Yes consider the source on being cut in Edmonton. So far this year it seems like Jones has determined 5 heads must roll after every loss. Reports are he was cut for refusing a PR assignment which his prerogative. If true then presumably he wasn't going to accept a similar situation wherever he next went. With that BC had 2 options; 46 or 1G. If to the 46 then some return reps was likely the only way he would see the field right away. Campbell did mention liking the potential he brought in that role.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Shai Ross was on the Elks roster prior to the Chris Jones hire, so there is the problem of Ross not being a "Jones guy".

A Canadian punt returner is a nice ST asset.