Season opener: Lions vs. Elks June 11, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

(-continued from previous page-)

Nitpick time.

* Opening intro with the kid was okay. A little schmalzy (seen it done before with a wided-eyed kid who goes from the screen to charging out of the tunnel) but I get what they were trying to do. But it should have built from there. I don't know if it was audio problems but it seemed to go nowhere. I had a much more impactful opening in my head to the Stones' "Gimme Shelter," or Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight."

* Would love to see Madness "Our House" become a kind of signature tune played at the end of every home W.

* Anyone else miss the player introductions rather than the whole team charge out of the tunnel en masse? I guess it saves a bit of time, so there's that.

* Sad to think they have moved on from our "Roar You Lions, Roar" fight song. I don't need to hear it after every touchdown ("Jump Around" works well for me) but why not during the 3rd quarter stretch?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:05 pm

* Interesting to see our depth chart for the Argo game, whether Sione Teuhema's 3-sack performance was enough to unseat Obum Gwachum at DE. Either way, I have confidence in our bookend tandems this year. Looks like the success of the inside of the line will done by committee.

I don't think they need to go that far. The one thing they were able to do Saturday was implement a true rotation. They were actually rotating 7 regularly while even getting Debaillie a few reps. As expected Menard and Betts rotated. Cherry was getting lots of reps subbing for Bonner and Banks and Teuhema was regularly spelling of Gwachum. One complaint last year that came from Gwachum directly to me thru Moj was that the Lions all too often were rotating only 5 leaving the DL gassed by the ned of the 3rd. The Lions may have solved that issue this season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Sorry, to clarify, I meant unseat him on the depth chart. Campbell is committed to Gwachum/Teuhema and Betts/Menard at DE and I am more than fine with this. I just meant does Teuhema soon become the de facto starter at one DE position (like Matieu Betts)?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm not all against a depth chart flip. As well as Gwachum has performed since joining BC he's always left me wanting a bit more. Despite the two being vurtually identical in size I wonder if they don't bring different skill sets to the point there are situational advantages for one versus the other.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Just to add a tidbit to the DE discussion David and I are having Gwachum recorded 4 sacks last year. Teuhema scored the hat trick in his CFL debut.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm
Just to add a tidbit to the DE discussion David and I are having Gwachum recorded 4 sacks last year. Teuhema scored the hat trick in his CFL debut.
And it cost guard Antonio Garcia his job. Not sure what to read into that, a case of Teuhema that good of Garcia that bad. Jones evidently believes the latter. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm
And it cost guard Antonio Garcia his job. Not sure what to read into that, a case of Teuhema that good of Garcia that bad. Jones evidently believes the latter. :wink:

Probably 50% that and 50% 10 year vet Tony Washington returning from an illness that shelved him for Week 1.
Dusty
Champion

Following up from David's plus and minus posting, this is really nitpick time.....

- I hope the player introductions continue, although with both teams on the same side, it will get a bit crowded when the majority of players first come out.... I don't think there will be massing at the 55 yard line... maybe around the 35 yard line.

- I think the video that plays prior to the players coming out to be too long and the pace is too slow. By the time it is finishing, I'm asleep.... If the purpose of the video is to pump up the players and especially the crowd, I don't think it works..... at least for me.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:24 am
- I think the video that plays prior to the players coming out to be too long and the pace is too slow. By the time it is finishing, I'm asleep.... If the purpose of the video is to pump up the players and especially the crowd, I don't think it works..... at least for me.....
Agreed. Last year's video packed much more energy, although the build-up was still too long. I hope the home opener video was a one-off. It was an energy-killer. I don't want to see it again.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

To be honest I don't recall last year's intro at all. I did get a kick out of the new one especially when "Max" dove into the hamper of dirty towels to hide followed by Figs hauling him out by the scruff of his hoody.

I wasn't expecting the gang of kids following "Max" onto the field before the team but thought kudos for getting a bunch of kids involved. I chuckled again when the gang of kids got to the flag with a couple of staff frantically waving them around the flag then towards the far tunnel.

I wonder if those kids were just randomly chosen or part if a local kids organization? If the latter and next time a different organization is involved tben again high five to the club. It had to be a big thrill for the kids.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I see Jones is at it again. Today former Leo Claudell Louis, KR Martese Jackson and NAT WR Shai Ross all got belated Father's Day road maps and apples today.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:52 pm
I see Jones is at it again. Today former Leo Claudell Louis, KR Martese Jackson and NAT WR Shai Ross all got belated Father's Day road maps and apples today.
Just wait till that genius Jones gets his real roster together = other CFL teams will be in big trouble. Duron Carter at safety will be a big game changer. :hypno:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I thought it kinda strange last season when the Lions were in need of D linemen and had Claudell Louis coaching rather than playing. Then this year he is back to playing but for the Elks, but not for long it seems.

With future HoFer, John Bowman now coaching the Lions D Line (rookie coach?) I doubt there is any room on the Lions staff for another coach. Probably not an player opening either but at 31y.o. he is not that old for a lineman.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

One hopes that if the O can stay on the field for more sustained drives, the issues of the D getting gassed, roster notwithstanding, will be greatly diminished.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.