Season opener: Lions vs. Elks June 11, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:49 pm
Apparently 5000 seats have been sold in upper deck already with more sections opening up.
At $20 & $10 for 17 and under they are exceptional value. Clearly Doman wants those seats to move as they were never priced that low when I sat up there for a number of years.
30,000 plus looking like a solid bet in what will be their biggest home game in years. No pressure Mr Rourke!
Sure is weird to hear the Leos as the talk of the town again. I was on the TransLink bus coming home from work last night. The guy (maybe 30?) sitting across from me took a call. He said to the person on the other end, "Saturday night? Can't. I'm going to the Lions game."

Just hope the club doesn't lay an egg like they historically have whenever the casuals come out en masse. But win or lose, this is still great to see. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like 18 sections are open on the upper deck, all the way to the middle of the west end zone (Section 454), and there aren’t many tickets left in many of those sections.
SouthLondonNick
prospect

I wonder how many are coming just for OneRepublic?

Like others have said I hope we make a real game of it. I suspect that will have a serious bearing on the attendance vs Argos on 25th.
Qman
Champion

Vancouver is an event town you got to make games an event
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Back to football: Edmonton has ruled out 11 injured players for the game, including DBs and ex-Lions Aaron Grymes and Duron Carter. It looks like the Elks will be light on experience at some positions.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have listed Delvin Breaux as questionable. Lucky Whitehead was limited in practice today but is not listed as out. Neither is Jalon Edwards-Cooper, who has been limited all week. Those declared out include OLs David Knevel and Noah Zerr and all of the players who were injured before or during training camp.

https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
Bosco
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:28 pm

Sure is weird to hear the Leos as the talk of the town again. I was on the TransLink bus coming home from work last night. The guy (maybe 30?) sitting across from me took a call. He said to the person on the other end, "Saturday night? Can't. I'm going to the Lions game."

But win or lose, this is still great to see. :thup:

Dave - you've actually been taking the bus? :roar:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SouthLondonNick wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:47 pm

Like others have said I hope we make a real game of it. I suspect that will have a serious bearing on the attendance vs Argos on 25th.
I suspect many. Hope the Lions play an entertaining game and bring the fans back.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I chuckle a bit about part of this 3D article.
https://3downnation.com/2022/06/09/b-c- ... rs-report/

That 33752 crowd at the end of the 2014 season was of course a byproduct of Dennis Skulsky's Guaranteed Win Night. Prior to that Rider game the Lions were averaging around 24700. Skulsky's guarantee led to a crowd of 33196. Thanks to the loss the Lions would average 29900 for the final 4 games including 2 crowds over 31000 as the Lions had to pony up free tickets for one of those 4 games to the 33196 who saw the loss to the Riders. Lol.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SouthLondonNick wrote:

Proof might be in how many scurry for the exits as soon as they are off the stage. Hopefully most will say what the heck I'm already here so might as well stick around for a while. A brilliant move on top if all the other brilliant moves the Lions are doing Saturday would be if at the end of that 30 minute pregame set One Republic announced they will be back for an encore at halftime.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Just hope the club doesn't lay an egg like they historically have whenever the casuals come out en masse. But win or lose, this is still great to see. :thup:

DH :cool:

The fear among all us diehards and something Farhan always brings up.
Even last year's home opener against the same Elks coming off the big win at Calgary the week prior and the stadium at COVID capacity (12,500). Just an awful game where Lions lost 21-16 but were thoroughly dominated and the score flattered them. Two weeks later same COVID capacity against the Riders and a late lead slips away thanks to our incompetent place kicking that missed what would have been a clinching FG.

We are overdue at least.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm
SouthLondonNick wrote:

Proof might be in how many scurry for the exits as soon as they are off the stage. Hopefully most will say what the heck I'm already here so might as well stick around for a while. A brilliant move on top if all the other brilliant moves the Lions are doing Saturday would be if at the end of that 30 minute pregame set One Republic announced they will be back for an encore at halftime.
Wouldn't that be something ?
almo89
Legend

Holy they are selling some upper deck endzone seats for only 10 bucks! I've been calling for cheap upper deck seats for a while. Of course as the attendance dropped over the years, the upper deck would close. The only downside is season ticket holders who spent way more sitting in the lower bowl might feel like they are shafted. Hopefully the organization can find a balance to reward the season ticket holders, but at the same time entice young fans to come out especially at 10 bucks a ticket.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released their depth chart and game roster for the season opener, and there are three significant changes in the secondary from the first-team unit that stood largely intact through training camp and preseason. Free-agent CB Delvin Breaux has been placed on the 6-game injured list and second-year HB Jalon Edwards-Cooper has been placed on the one-game list. Rookie Quincy Mauger starts at safety in place of T.J. Lee, who moves to field halfback, while rookie Tyneil Cooper, who competed with Edward-Cooper for the field halfback position, replaces Breaux at cornerback, a position he has never practised before this week.

The starting offence is intact except for Phil Norman at left guard in place of David Knevel, who starts the season on the 6-game injured list with a shoulder injury that has lingered since Fan Fest. Norman played the same position in last week's preseason game until he got ejected.

In addition to Breaux and Knevel, the 6-game injured list includes DTs Steve Richardson and Woody Baron and QB Kevin Thomson.

Lions depth chart and game roster
OV:54-40
Starter

Starting 2 rookies in the secondary with zero or little experience in Canadian ball is very risky/ worrisome IMO; maybe a good pass rush helps lots though, and they might be able to tee off on an Esk offence that is not a very experienced unit and probably won't counter with much run game.

Be interesting to also see how much run game the Lions go with to help the young QB, or if Rourke is turned loose to use his outstanding running ability often ?
Last edited by OV:54-40 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.