2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It would appear that Lions had an effective strategy re: WR; re-sign your guys, Lucky, Burnham, Rhymes then big offer to Lawler gets Riders to pay $260k for Duke and Elks to pay $300k for Lawler. :good:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:09 pm
It would appear that Lions had an effective strategy re: WR; re-sign your guys, Lucky, Burnham, Rhymes then big offer to Lawler gets Riders to pay $260k for Duke and Elks to pay $300k for Lawler. :good:
I don't know if it necessarily worked other than in a backhanded Plan B way. I think they really wanted him. I think they went to $250K to be too rich for Winnipeg and anybody else for that matter. Lower than that at say $225K and the Bombers maybe match with other teams not wanting to go as high as $250K suddenly being willing to get in on the action. My fear is that while they successfully push 2 divisional rivals into spending more money than they obviously wanted to did BC have to hold back a bit on some other non-positions because that $250K had to be considered as tied up until Lawler made his final decision.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:12 pm
DanoT wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:09 pm
I don't know if it necessarily worked other than in a backhanded Plan B way. I think they really wanted him. I think they went to $250K to be too rich for Winnipeg and anybody else for that matter. Lower than that at say $225K and the Bombers maybe match with other teams not wanting to go as high as $250K suddenly being willing to get in on the action. My fear is that while they successfully push 2 divisional rivals into spending more money than they obviously wanted to did BC have to hold back a bit on some other non-positions because that $250K had to be considered as tied up until Lawler made his final decision.
Well I did not want Lawler or his high price tag so it seems I am going to get what I want: 2 western rivals with less $ to spend and Lions with more $ to spend on D Line and or RB.

Lucky, Burnham, Rhymes, Cottoy, Hatcher, Johnson, Scarfone, and D'Anthony Thomas are a pretty good core bunch.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Well I did not want Lawler or his high price tag so it seems I am going to get what I want: 2 western rivals with less $ to spend and Lions with more $ to spend on D Line and or RB.

Lucky, Burnham, Rhymes, Cottoy, Hatcher, Johnson, Scarfone, and D'Anthony Thomas are a pretty good core bunch.
Might have worked out the way you hoped for but no way the logic was to push others to spend more. Only reason to make a serious offer like that is because the team seriously wants the player. Once the offer is placed they have to treat it as spent money that is off the table in all their other possible offers until the player renders his decision.

Ever see how often in fundraising silent auctions how often people put in bids on items they don't want just to push up other bids to make more money for the fundraiser only to wind up taking the unwanted item home? Nice for a fundraiser. Pro sports teams can't afford to play that game lest they wind up with players they didn't seriously want in the first place.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So Naylor tweets Lawler took the Elks 1-yr $300,000 offer over BC’s 2-year offer (250,000-260,000) that included a signing bonus. No idea how much of the $510,000 would have been up front but I guess Lawler is confident he will see similar offers next winter as a FA again.

What a wild ride. I warmed up to the BC Lawlor offer given he is entering the prime off his career as Burnham soon exits and there other young pieces like Cottoy and Rourke.
But now a sense of relief especially if Richardson is a near certainty and he is just 25 in position that has to be upgraded. Now how will they distribute the Lawler money on other FAs?
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Too many stud receivers and not enough footballs to go around can be a problem and now Lions can go out and sign Andrew Harris who is a great receiver in his own right, coming out of the backfield.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm

But now a sense of relief especially if Richardson is a near certainty and he is just 25. Now how will they distribute the Lawler money on other FAs?
Good question. I don't know that there are a lot of other places to spend bigger $. Harris maybe ........ both of them. There's really no help beyond depth available on OL. Looking good at receiver with what we have plus other exciting American receiver signings. The back 8 on F is in great shape if Purifoy is added. The remaining big area of need is DL. For sure Davis and Stove will be gone by noon ET. Hopefully Stove winds up as far west as he can go without having to swim. Lots of other nice pieces out there but none commanding big $ like the Lawler offer.
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Champion

I wonder if with Walker and Lawler signed by the Elks at big dollars, it will cause them to go cheaper on the QB position and if so, that may result in a seasoned vet coming west tomorrow.... I don't see Arbuckle being willing to go the Lions back-up role so he may want to be signed in Elks-ville. Whereas Harris may be more willing to come to BC in a teaching/back-up role. It could be one step towards a QB coach role when playing days are done....
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:36 pm
I wonder if with Walker and Lawler signed by the Elks at big dollars, it will cause them to go cheaper on the QB position and if so, that may result in a seasoned vet coming west tomorrow.... I don't see Arbuckle being willing to go the Lions back-up role so he may want to be signed in Elks-ville. Whereas Harris may be more willing to come to BC in a teaching/back-up role. It could be one step towards a QB coach role when playing days are done....
Arbuckle is under contract to Elks, isn't he? And has Harris indicated in the past an interest in a coaching career?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:57 pm

Arbuckle is under contract to Elks, isn't he? And has Harris indicated in the past an interest in a coaching career?
Yes at $340K including a $100K bonus the Elks already paid out.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The writing was on the wall for this one but top-ranked defesive end Ja'Gared Davis has officially agreed to terms with the Argos, who offered him $230,000.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Apparently Kyle Walters admitted in a pre-free agency presser that the Bombers were unable to work out a deal with Andrew Harris. Based on other teams' signings of feature backs and the Argos signings in general one would think BC and Saskatchewan are the only realistic players for Harris.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As expected, Edmonton has officially signed former Ottawa OL Mark Korte, who was on my top-5 free agent wish list. Sean Whyte is the only player on that list still available. His signing in B.C. has not yet been announced.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:06 am
DanoT wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:57 pm

Yes at $340K including a $100K bonus the Elks already paid out.
I thought his contract ended at the end of last season. Oh well, Wrong again!!!

Never Mind.......

Farhan is reporting this morning that O'Connor may be the Lions choice for back-up....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially announced the return of kicker Sean Whyte.