Negotiation List Names

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

PGSSS74
Rookie

CFL teams revealed the latest names on their negotiation lists.

Of the ten spots on the Lions list, nine (90%) are quarterbacks. Hmmmm.

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/21/cfl- ... carbrough/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Unless some of those QBs can play guard or tackle or centre, then they aren't gonna help the QB position very much. That many QBs sorta makes a farce of the neg list, imo.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CFL teams control which names to release
of the 45 players on their neg lists. You can bet that most of the names on the list are position players but there are always a healthy number of quarterback prospects, mostly from small
schools. It’s hard to predict which ones will eventually head north.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC's list has long been top heavy with QBs always listing more QBs than anybody else. Keep in mind the released lists represent 22.2% of the total list. I always wondered if there were strategic reasons for how teams decided which names to release. Maybe BC has fewer QBs listed compared to other teams in the 77.8% of the neg list that isn't released? Off the top of my head I don't recall any player BC listed in previous releases bearing fruit. This spring 2 neg listed players finally signed with the Lions. QB Gage Gubrud had been on the list for a couple years. He signed in January and retired in March. Shea Patterson who had been listed probably since he was a college sophomore finally signed in June and so impressed he was released 4 weeks into the season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

Ithink it's clear that the lions know that Reilly isn't going to sell many tickets going forward. And I notice that Chris Jones on his appointment as HC and gm of the elks mentioned getting REILLY..WE STILL NEED TO GET A GM and then build a coaching staff. New OC and DC at a minimum
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont like the willingness to say good bye to Reilly. Give him a decent team around him and he will still be one of the best if not the best.

Look how much difference playing on the Rams is doing for Stafford.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reg18 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:20 pm
Ithink it's clear that the lions know that Reilly isn't going to sell many tickets going forward. And I notice that Chris Jones on his appointment as HC and gm of the elks mentioned getting REILLY..WE STILL NEED TO GET A GM and then build a coaching staff. New OC and DC at a minimum
Ryan Phillips is our new Defensive Coordinator.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

With Geroy going to the Elks today, you wonder if he has inside knowledge on the Reilly situation here. You know, the Lions are going to renegotiate his salary to x number of $$. Etc etc . So of course the Elks will know this now and be able to offer something superior.
Reilly would have to be aware of this off the books of course. Is it my imagination or do the Elks already smell of Chris Jones.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Simon, no doubt was considered for the job as Lions assistant GM but they went with Rigmaiden (more experienced/qualified??) as the assistant GM, so Simon took the career advancement opportunity with the Elks and has become their assistant GM. Reilly is/was likely not part of the equation.

Lions would be foolish to give Reilly any contract ultimatums or to trade him...unless the Elks could offer some all star linemen in return; something the Elks don't have.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I doubt there have been ultimatums but there have been conversations at a management level about next year already you would think and widely circulated media speculation. If the Lions are considering renegotiating, it is very likely that Reilly. If he were qietly aware that another more lucrative offer was likely available to him, he would would likely say no to renotiation thus forcing the Lions to either
Pay him, trade him, or release him.
1 is undesirable, 2 is not likely at his salary. Thus the Elks may be watching for option 3. A scenario much easier to predict if they are aware of the Lions direction on this.
It doesn't strike as accidental that Jones would mention Reilly by name. He is pretty slimy imo.
It all sounds conspiratorial I know but it is just the kind of move I would expect from him. If anyone knows how to push boundaries it is Chris Jones and I wouldn't put it oadt him to plant a seed in the mind of Reilly and his agent to see what might grow.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.