Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Why would Burnham not re-sign? Will he command more $ than the Lions can afford? If so they need to find a way to retain him.
Last edited by DanoT on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Excellent post, Hambone. Enjoy the Grey Cup and please share any other insights you glean.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:02 am
Why would Burnham not re-sign? Will he command more $ than the Lions can afford? If so they need to find a way to retain him.
Again that was just Moj's gut feel. He didn't indicate any inside knowledge for any of his opinions.

Could be a combination of ask and age (32 in April) and a need to allocate money to retain Whitehead. As a NJ native maybe he's interested in moving back east? Funny thing is as good as Burnham's numbers remained I never felt like he was quite at the same level in 2021 as in the past. Maybe that's simply because Whitehead became the focal point in the passing offense? Like everybody else here I'd like to see him back although as I pondered earlier I wonder if he might not tag along with his BFF Reilly should Michael move along not unlike Darren Flutie becoming attached to the hip of Danny McManus.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Reilly will either finish his career as a Lion or retire...but it is just a gut feeling :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Burnham and Reilly are best friends and roommates. Whatever happens to one of them this offseason will likely have a big influence the other. I can’t see Burnham retiring but he’d be more likely to leave town if Reilly is not a Lion in 2022.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess that is always a risk and Burnham would be a big signing kind of guy on any number of teams in the league. Riley not withstanding. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were to take a looksee at the F/A market. He would be foolish not to. At this age, he will likely be looking for that 1 last big contract and if the Lions don't offer him the kind of money that counts as big in his mind, he may well go a wandering.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bob Marjanovich and Farhan Lalji discussed the Lions today in the first of the Moj’s Grey Cup audio podcasts. The Moj made many of the same comments that he made to Hambone but he said he believes Reilly will be back, likely with a reduced contract in the low $300,000 range. Farhan said he believes Reilly will retire but there is still time for him to reconsider.

Here’s a link to the podcast. The Lions’ discussion starts around the 26-minute mark:
https://www.bclions.com/lions-radio-network/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great stuff Hambone and thanks for the link BC FAN.
I guess if it’s going to take a lot of cap room to re-sign Whitehead it becomes difficult to throw a whole bunch of money at a 2nd American receiver. Hate to lose Burnham but how much do you spend on receivers? I would be happy to retain Whitehead, Cottoy, Johnson and Grimes and that would include releasing Durant.

Scary how both Moj & Farhan agree the o-line needs a “massive overhaul.” They actually didn’t recognize one starter being solid with Farhan noting Perkins did not grade well in pass protection. At least he is cheap. If you are going to replace 3 nationals via free agency that’s going to take even more cap room than 2021 given Godber must have been relatively cheap.

Good to hear Sean Whyte wants to return to BC to finish his career.
David
Team Captain

Well, it's good to hear that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me as I was quite down on the offensive line this year, at least for 3/4 of the season. I saw weakness at centre (too often holding on for dear life) and RG. Telling that our best O-lineman (Perkins) didn't grade out that well when it came pressures. I hope Jarell Broxton comes back at LT as he looked very strong before his bicep injury. Ryker Mathews? That's a real mystery there.

I wonder if Mike Reilly is inquiring about how mgt plans to re-tool this line; whether this is factoring in his decision to return?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 am

I wonder if Mike Reilly is inquiring about how mgt plans to re-tool this line; whether this is factoring in his decision to return?
Good question David,
I keep hearing that players on the OL need time to "gel" or to learn to play together. If the OL is blown up and most players are replaced, as has been suggested, then it could take a quarter or even a half of the season before the QB protection becomes normalized. That has to be a concern for Reilly.... He has been beaten up for 2 years now.... does he want another year of that???
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed national free agents David Mackie, Jacob Scarfone and Marcus Davis and extended O’Shane Samuels, Jamie Harry and Mario Villamizar.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/12/14/lion ... xtensions/
TurfGuy
prospect

Knevel has more than proved himself as a valuable asset this season and previous seasons. He’s akin to a Swiss Army knife, can jump in on either side of centre in either the guard or tackle position. Time to take advantage of his youth and this National player.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed 5 national offensive linemen, including veteran backups David Knevel and Andrew Peirson.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/12/16/lion ... l-peirson/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm not sure about Peirson. Seems to be like a center version of a backup QB. I didn't see him do anything other than waddle around the sidelines packing a clipboard. I don't know if he ever played a down.

Sidenote: a girl who bartends at one of the PG Craft breweries saw me wearing a Lions hat or shirt one day. She's continuing her nursing schooling up there. Told me her ex plays for BC. It was Peirson. She doesn't miss him. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Andrew Peirson has twice (the last two active years--2019 & 2021) been nominated for the CFLPA's annual Tom Pate Award, for community service, on behalf of the Lions. It's likely fair to say that the Lions and community would miss his contributions there. Regards his playing time--all I know (from his bio) is that he did start for 5 games plus a playoff game in 2018 due to injuries to regular starters.