Riders 45 - Lions 18 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 am

I have not wanted to discuss football with The Pauser from Day 1, trying to avoid confrontation and endless debate. Once in a while, it seems, I get roped in, quoted, and respond, hopefully in a non-provocative manner, with no insulting words, as I did in this thread when quoted and challenged by him. It is always a mistake on my part to make that response. Usually I just say: "No comment for The Pauser." That way, I acknowledge the post, and the poster, but do not engage in debate or discussion.

My last word on this issue in this thread, other than, perhaps, a no comment response.

Bye week. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Hervey and Claybrooks can come up with some effective changes.
Grow up. This is a discussion forum. You have some prejudice against me for whatever reason, but I do not appreciate your passive-aggressive approach towards me.
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:59 am
David wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:52 pm
That's offside, Pauser. We can respectfully have differences of opinion on this board without instigating with inflammatory comments like "you're wrong."
Instigating? First of all, when did telling someone that they’re wrong, when they’re wrong, become offside? Secondly, I didn’t instigate anything. When someone goes on about something, and then responds to me with the disrespect that WCJ showed me. That’s instigating. This isn’t a one off with him either. WCJ has been disrespectful towards me for years.
The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 am

I have not wanted to discuss football with The Pauser from Day 1, trying to avoid confrontation and endless debate. Once in a while, it seems, I get roped in, quoted, and respond, hopefully in a non-provocative manner, with no insulting words, as I did in this thread when quoted and challenged by him. It is always a mistake on my part to make that response. Usually I just say: "No comment for The Pauser." That way, I acknowledge the post, and the poster, but do not engage in debate or discussion.

My last word on this issue in this thread, other than, perhaps, a no comment response.

Bye week. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Hervey and Claybrooks can come up with some effective changes.
Grow up. This is a discussion forum. You have some prejudice against me for whatever reason, but I do not appreciate your passive-aggressive approach towards me.
No comment for The Pauser.

[Edit. Red Flagged by The Pauser. Report read by WestCoastJoe. Report closed by mistake. There were two buttons. Close and Delete. I should have just looked to close the report page somehow, and not push ''Close.'' Report reinstated by The Pauser. My apologies for mistakenly hitting the ''Close'' button. -- WestCoastJoe]
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:02 am

I'm still trying to figure out why you write that Jennings 'never looked comfortable' (last season you called it 'deer in the headlights syndrome' and 'made plenty of poor decisions and in the same breath you did not blame Lulay and now Reilly for their quarterback play.

Last season Travis Lulay completed 61.1% of his passes, throwing for 11 touchdowns while throwing 13 interceptions (3.5 interception rate), and a quarterback efficiency of 84.8.

Jonathan Jennings last season completed 67.4% of his passes, throwing 7 touchdown passes while throwing 8 interceptions (2.9 interception rate) and a quarterback efficiency of 85.6.

So far, this season, Mike Reilly has completed 66.5% of his passes, throwing 6 touchdown passes while throwing 6 interceptions (2.6 interception rate) and a quarterback efficiency of 85.9.

Those statistics don't indicate to me that only one quarterback 'was not comfortable' and made 'plenty of poor decisions' and not attributable to anything else, while the other two quarterbacks play is attributable to everything else and they are not at fault.

It seems to me that once you make a comment, you can't ever admit error. There is nothing substantive, except for your subjective opinion, to support your notion and there is substance that indicates that all three quarterbacks have struggled almost equally in Jarious Jackson's system.

In terms of talent, our offensive line is actually better than last season's edition and our receivers are just as good or better .

The reality is that no quarterback, offensive lineman, tailback, or receiver is going to easily shine in Jarious Jackson's scheme. Its a plug and play scheme that does not favor our players strengths but instead seriously limits their play.

I have never blamed Jennings, Lulay, or Reilly for our poor offensive play last year or this year. Of course, quarterback play (challenging enough in Jarious scheme) also deteriorates under all the pressures, hits, and sacks, as well as playing from behind and wanting to make plays more desperately.
My comment about Jennings was my own observation. He had that deer in the headlights look every time he snapped the ball, leading to bad decisions, rushed throws, and turnovers. The fact that he doesn't look any better this year in a completely new environment suggests the problem for Jennings was not simply the Lions coaching staff.

It seems to me like you get caught up in tunnel vision. You latch on to one issue and you block out everything else. You fail to recognize that Jennings himself just isn't good enough, while also being part of an inept offensive system. Jennings, being a bad QB, wasn't going to succeed no matter what the offensive system was. But that doesn't mean that the system Jarious installed is going to be successful with a different QB as we've seen this year. If you were correct, and Jennings was simply held back by a poor offensive system and bad coaching, then one would expect him to look a lot better this year in Ottawa. His QB efficiency this year is 48.3 (albeit in a small 2-game sample size).

By what metric is our offensive line better than last years? On paper you could argue that, though you can also argue that we haven't had a true C for most of our games, and we're playing some guys out of their natural positions.

The Lions have given up 25 sacks in 7 games this year (I'd like to find a sight that would show us how many hurries too). Last year the Lions gave up 15 sacks in their first 7 games. In fact, they didn't give up their 25th sack until game 13, and only gave up 38 sacks in the entire 18 game season. The offensive line has been horrendous this year, and has certainly performed much worse than last season. On paper you could argue they should be more talented, but that hasn't translated to the field.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lion Fan For Life wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am
LOL.....All you Experts got your little panties in knot, when some guy said.....that any "HEAD" Coach that wears his Hat tilted to the side of his head, is someone that should not be a "HEAD COACH"!
It's a sign of Disrespect for that position, in a PROFESSIONAL environment.
Claybrooks should be coaching High School ball, NOT a Professional team in a supposed Professional League.
Claybrooks is solely responsible for every game that he has LOST, which is ALL of them, as that Toronto game was a Joke, and they should have lost that one as well.
Toronto screwed up, and that is the ONLY reason that the Lions have even one win.
This is not anyone's fault but Claybrooks.
He is the "HEAD COACH", and the buck stops there.
The Lions are a total Joke, they are simply Embarrassing, to say the least.
FIRE the Coach and replace him immediately with Lulay.
At least Lulay will not wear some Stupid Homie Hat, while trying to be one of the Boys.
Dress for success.
The Ghetto home boy look, might be Ok in Prep Ball, but it totally Disrespectful to the position of a Professional "HEAD COACH"!
Claybrooks has to GO!
NOW!!!!
Claybrooks is totally LOST and out of his League, when it comes to being a "HEAD COACH"!
Why so hung up on how a person wears his hat??

Thinking that Lulay can step in and be a HC and wave a magic wand to fix things is total folly, kinda like being hung up on a person's attire and thinking that it matters. "Dress for Success" that will win football games...NOT.
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 am
Lion Fan For Life wrote:
LOL.....All you Experts got your little panties in knot, when some guy said.....that any "HEAD" Coach that wears his Hat tilted to the side of his head, is someone that should not be a "HEAD COACH"!
Claybrooks should be coaching High School ball, NOT a Professional team in a supposed Professional League.
Claybrooks is solely responsible for every game that he has LOST, which is ALL of them, as that Toronto game was a Joke, and they should have lost that one as well.
Toronto screwed up, and that is the ONLY reason that the Lions have even one win.
At least Lulay will not wear some Stupid Homie Hat, while trying to be one of the Boys.
Dress for success.
The Ghetto home boy look, might be Ok in Prep Ball, but it totally Disrespectful to the position of a Professional "HEAD COACH"!
Claybrooks has to GO!
NOW!!!!
Claybrooks is totally LOST and out of his League, when it comes to being a "HEAD COACH"!
Why so hung up on how a person wears his hat??

Thinking that Lulay can step in and be a HC and wave a magic wand to fix things is total folly, kinda like being hung up on a person's attire and thinking that it matters. "Dress for Success" that will win football games...NOT.
That looks like it's the same guy who posted here as "Ray Nettles Ghost" or whatever his screen name was. Exact same posting style, exact same ridiculous trope about the way the coach wears his hat. Bill Belichick looks like a slob half the time when he's on the sidelines yet people claim he's a great coach. Clearly it has nothing to do with what a coach wears, or how one wears his hat.

Sadly, I sense there's a tad bit of racism coming from that poster, going off of his past posts as well as some of verbiage he used. What's funny is I don't seem to recall that guy coming on here complaining about how Benevides dressed on the sidelines.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Lion Fan For Life wrote:
Dress for success.
Claybrooks has to GO!
NOW!!!!
With what I've seen so far it's hard to argue with this.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Pauser gets too personal in his attacks including telling someone to grow up. That's not exactly mature either lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 am
The Pauser gets too personal in his attacks including telling someone to grow up. That's not exactly mature either lol
And that was my mistake, I should have simply reported it. However, when I eventually did report WCJ's post I see he simply closed it himself, so how exactly is that fair?

And as I mentioned to you in my PM to clear things up: what did I say that was so wrong in my original post?

You call a player not wanting to come out of the game "undermining his head coach."

I call that being a professional. A competitor. A leader. He didn't want to abandon his teammates who weren't being pulled from the game. I don't blame him at all for that. I don't want a QB who wants to be pulled from the game.

I often harp on people here who criticize the coaching staff for everything (at least, that was under Buono). This is one situation where I have zero problem criticizing the coaching staff. Claybrooks is the HC. It's his decision to pull Reilly. If he's letting his players call the shots then he's lost the team.

--------------------------

Telling WCJ to grow up was in response to his passive-aggressive troll on me.

This is a discussion forum, at least, that's what it's been for years. Let me know if this is instead supposed to be an echo chamber safe space where people's opinions cannot be challenged and we all have to agree with whatever WCJ says.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 am
Telling WCJ to grow up was in response to his passive-aggressive troll on me.

This is a discussion forum, at least, that's what it's been for years. Let me know if this is instead supposed to be an echo chamber safe space where people's opinions cannot be challenged and we all have to agree with whatever WCJ says.
So if you agree that this is supposed to be an opinion-based forum (it is), in which diverse opinions are accepted (they are), then how is your comment, "It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it" not getting personal about someone's viewpoint?

Sure, if you want to consider a preemptive "No comment for The Pauser" mildly passive-aggressive, fine (maybe you should both consider the "ignore" button). But that is not instigating; it's just stating that he's said his piece and he's not going to get drawn into any kind of debate.

You seem plenty capable of holding your own in a discussion with well-supported arguments and critical thinking, so there's no need to make things personal. For this forum to function as well as it does, we need to eliminate inflammatory language. Sorry, but comments like "you're wrong, I get it" and "grow up" cross that line.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Both of the posters in question contribute quite a lot of quality information to this forum and I don't think anyone will argue that. These are frustrating times for all Lions fans and right now it is especially easy for brush fires to flare up as we process the disaster that is currently the BC Lions. It is a good time to encourage all posters to take the anger and frustration down a notch when posting. There are lots of opinions about what is wrong, who is to blame, and so on. But this is still a community and a very good one by all accounts and that should not be risked by rash posts or veiled innuendo. We can all agree that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. Expressing that opinion by default must be respectful and devoid of comments directed towards the person of other posters. I truly believe that we are all reasonable folks. The 99.9% of the time that we get along even if we disagree bears that out. So let's move on while remembering that this forum deserves the very best from all posters. That is what makes it special after all.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:21 pm

So if you agree that this is supposed to be an opinion-based forum (it is), in which diverse opinions are accepted (they are), then how is your comment, "It’s hard to comment when you’re wrong. I get it" not getting personal about someone's viewpoint?

Sure, if you want to consider a preemptive "No comment for The Pauser" mildly passive-aggressive, fine (maybe you should both consider the "ignore" button). But that is not instigating; it's just stating that he's said his piece and he's not going to get drawn into any kind of debate.

You seem plenty capable of holding your own in a discussion with well-supported arguments and critical thinking, so there's no need to make things personal. For this forum to function as well as it does, we need to eliminate inflammatory language. Sorry, but comments like "you're wrong, I get it" and "grow up" cross that line.

DH :cool:
I wasn't getting personal about someone's viewpoint. Perhaps you missed my response to his viewpoint? I was responding to his disrespectful comment towards me.

WCJ is a mod. I would think the mods should be setting a positive example for everyone else. Maybe I'm wrong though. Can one even put a mod on ignore?

Like I said, I didn't make things personal. WCJ did by stating he's not going to discuss anything with me. He's stated this numerous times, not just in this post here, essentially trying to ostracize me for some reason. I also don't understand how telling someone they are wrong, when they are wrong, is crossing a line, but if that's the standard I can live with that. Blitz and I have had plenty of discussions where we have agreed with each other, and others where we call each other out. But the thing about him and I is our discussions are respectful towards each other. Neither one of us say "I'm not going to discuss anything with you" or "I have no comment for you." I can get how some of you who know WCJ don't want to go against your friend, but I felt it was a sign of disrespect coming from him and that goes against the board rules.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm
Both of the posters in question contribute quite a lot of quality information to this forum and I don't think anyone will argue that. These are frustrating times for all Lions fans and right now it is especially easy for brush fires to flare up as we process the disaster that is currently the BC Lions. It is a good time to encourage all posters to take the anger and frustration down a notch when posting. There are lots of opinions about what is wrong, who is to blame, and so on. But this is still a community and a very good one by all accounts and that should not be risked by rash posts or veiled innuendo. We can all agree that everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it. Expressing that opinion by default must be respectful and devoid of comments directed towards the person of other posters. I truly believe that we are all reasonable folks. The 99.9% of the time that we get along even if we disagree bears that out. So let's move on while remembering that this forum deserves the very best from all posters. That is what makes it special after all.
Good post.

And I honestly would have been totally fine if WCJ even had not said anything. Coming back with "I have no comment for The Pauser" is what set me off as I find that to be quite disrespectful.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I'll move on now and hopefully we'll have some better, football related topics to discuss going forward.

Cheers. :beer:
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Riders fire their D-Line Coach despite the wins recently - says it's chemistry in the room and not his coaching. Bit of a head scratcher in that HC Craig Dickenson has a short week to prep for Thursday vs Ticats. It's odd as these things can unsettle a team and players who can depending on the person choose sides or it's a big nothing and teams move on.

So far Dickenson has looked quite astute to date and good in the role BUT firing a coach mid season comes with risks. The explanation is odd below.

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/25/ride ... e-scheper/
“Honestly, it was just a situation where the chemistry of the room wasn’t quite right and we felt like we needed to make a change that way. Mike’s a good football coach, a good friend of mine, it was a very difficult decision, but it was football-related and we just feel like for the sake of the team we were better off making the change now rather than later,” Dickenson said.

“It wasn’t anything he was doing negatively in terms of his interactions with the guys. It’s important that the room is good and we felt like we needed to make a change for the sake of the team.”
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I don't imagine we will fire anyone due to the Admin cap.

That is........ troubling.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

By looks of the posts on this page I'm glad I haven't been online since before the game and jumped straight to page 7. I'm not going to waste my time reading the first 6. Therefore apologies if I cover turf already covered.

Main observation was about play calling. Early on it seemed everything called took time to develop, time that the Riders 5 and 6 man rush wasn't going to give. On their only sustained drive of the game they started to move the ball when they went to some quick hitter type plays to get away from the rush. Amazing how that works.

As big of a concern as the OL is I think the DL is just as bad if not worse. Zero pressure for the 7th game and counting. Is that personnel or Stubler's tired old scheme that opposing offenses have been facing for so long they know exactly what is coming.

Former Lion RT Cory Mantyka was sitting across the aisle and 2 rows below me. As we were leaving after the final gun I asked him how his shoulder was and if he was ready to "strap the pads on again". He laughed then basically went on a rant totally disgusted with the performance, lack of passion, lack of push back or physicality.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.