Stampeders @ Lions June 7, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CrazyCanuck89
Starter

How do you leave that big of a hole between the centre and right guard?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Jones the receiver needs to go home. 3 drops now
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

The 2nd and 3rd receivers look really good.

Except for the catching the ball part.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice drive engineered by Kraemer
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Wow I like this Kraemer! Nice drive!
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Not sure why we didn't go for 2 there though.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Kraemer can play against the backups. But he looks poised. Let's keep him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Kraemer looking impressive
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnightofCydonia wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:46 pm
Not sure why we didn't go for 2 there though.
In case you missed it : the FG kicker missed it several times and needs extra work.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That was a thrilling comeback victory. Grant Kraemer was a late arrival in camp. He didn't throw a pass at FanFest last weekend. He was still trying to learn the rules and the offence. He played like a veteran tonight in engineering two late touchdowns to win the game. He was beaming ear to ear as he walked off the field after being interviewed by Farhan Lalji of TSN. I ran into some fans after the game who said they were sitting in front of Kraemer's parents, and they were excited by their son's play.

The consensus on the postgame show was that Danny O'Brien would be the No. 2 quarterback. Did Kraemer show enough in the final 7 minutes and 26 seconds to supplant the injured Ricky Lloyd as the No. 3 quarterback? Austin Apodaca didn't look bad either tonight aside from his pick-6. His stats would have been better if not for several drops from his receivers.

The first-team offence still isn't in high gear but Mike Reilly moved the ball, completing 8 of 11 passes and set up two rushing touchdowns in one quarter of play. The first, second and third units on the offensive line all played well, picking up a variety of Calgary blitzes and opening holes for the four B.C. running backs, who all ran hard. Wayne Moore, the fourth stringer, scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns in the comeback. Brett Boyko played the final three quarters at right tackle and didn't seem to make any mistakes. David Knevel played right guard in the second half.

The receiving positions are still up in the air. Jevon Cottoy and Marquis Bundy started in the slot positions opposite Bryan Burnham. Cottoy caught both passes thrown his way and appeared confident. Bundy caught 1 of 2 but he has failed to impress me at anything he has done in camp or preseason, including return kicks, although the coaches like him enough to give him first-team reps on special teams. Jamaal Jones led all receivers with 5 catches for 94 yards but he also had at least 3 critical drops. Joey Augustin is the international receiver who has most impressed me in camp, and he contributed to the victory with 4 catches for 92 yards, including a late 49-yarder to set up the winning touchdown.

The defence still has question marks, most notably at safety, where Keon Lyn had a terrible first half before giving way to Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, who played with energy and seemed to communicate well but wasn't really tested in coverage. Again, the consensus on the postgame show was that Anthony Thompson, who officially signed today, would take his old job back.

The rush end position is no clearer than it was before the game. Mat Boesen played the first and fourth quarters and had a key knockdown but the Lions didn't generate much pressure. They kept to a basic zone defence for much of the game. The only defensive linemen who made tackles were backup defensive tackles Edward Godin (3, including a TFL) and Darius Allen (2) and backup rush end Ebenezer Ogundeko (1). Allen also had two special teams tackles, which should help his quest for a roster spot.

Sergio Castillo had a solid 45.3-yard punting average but missed 3 of 5 convert attempts. Anthony Alix just punted once for 41 yards but had more depth on his kickoffs and hit a 39-yard field goal in hs only attempt. He has been the No. 1 kicker since the start of camp and doesn't appear ready to give up that role yet.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great comeback win.

WTG, Grant Kraemer. Very poised. Very good arm.

Jarious' RPO passes a test. Reilly made it productive. Kraemer made it productive. And of course, it is not all RPO. There are all the elements of CFL offence in there.

Running game should be fine with Rutley, White and Moore behind our hogs. Augustin, Jones and Cottoy can make plays at receiver, behind Burnham and Carter.

Vanilla defence did not show much. No worries. Safety? Keon Lyn had kind of a nightmare game.

Reilly moving the ball. That is key.

Kraemer moving the ball. That is key for a green as grass rookie.

We should be fine at QB.

Kicking should be good enough with Castillo or Alix. If not, there are others out there.

http://www.thegridironcrew.com/grant-kr ... interview/

Poised in the pocket. He sees the field well. Can move around quite well in the pocket, senses pressure. Gets the ball away in time. Runs well enough.
Not a burner, but, like Mike Reilly, covers ground. Good prospect. O'Brien gives us some experienced depth also. Kraemer really stepped up.

We showed some good stuff.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
MikeAK
All Star

A pretty solid showing from Kraemer. I know it was against players unlikely to make the final squad but it was still fun to watch him engineer those drives.

For the first time in a few years I think we're absolutely solid at QB this season.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

If Lyn makes then team then it was a decision made before last night because he was awful. When you are in a trail position like that in man coverage for a pair of TDs there are no excuses. In fact it was a good night for Anthony Thompson by just not being on the field.

We could be in for some offensive shootouts the way this Lions roster is built. Fine by me as that what ultimately will get this market excited about the Lions again.
CardiacKid
Legend

We were very pleasantly surprised how entertaining the game was; fingers crossed we see a lot of points scored this season. Or at least, an increase towards what CFL fans are accustomed to seeing.

My takeaways....
The team should double-check what cleats they are wearing for the season opener, too many guys blew their tires last night.

I haven’t checked the stats but the Lions seemed very disciplined for a pre-season game as there was a scarcity of penalties, particularly of the mental error variety.

Special teams improved in terms of their overall coverage in comparison to last game. A good sign for the coaching staff.

Stick with Pierson and Harkes at centre; Steward is meant to be at guard or tackle. Physically it’s not a good fit for him plus I don’t believe he has ever played it before. His low snaps made things difficult for Apodaca at times.

Between the low snaps and drops by receivers, I thought Apodaca actually acquitted himself fairly well. He puts a nice bit of stink on the ball while rolling out of the pocket.

I hope Hervey is keeping his eyes peeled for kickers hitting the market; three missed converts is not great. But we have been spoiled the last two years.

I hope the troubles at safety do not result in wholesale reshuffling of the secondary as was experienced two years ago coming out of camp. We had the makings of a very good secondary that was undone by the coaching staff IMHO.

The business with the jersey rollout and then pulled back needs to be addressed in a public fashion by the team and CFL along with New Era. The empty look of the kiosks had folks wondering where the swag was; not a good look for a revenue stream.

Did anyone try the Outrageous Burger or Stupdendous Burger or whatever it’s called? I was looking for folks trying it but no luck. I am surprised they would make that an offering and not the beyond burger for a Vancouver crowd.

Victoria’s own Murray Clarke should be promoted to referee from umpire for the season. He did a good job calling his half.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I thought the new review for a turnover went well and was quick, maybe the officiating this year won't be as brutal as past years. Run tackling was bad as well as safety getting beat badly but all in all it was entertaining. Who cares about the NBA=boring!