2019 BC Lions Free Agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Who of Lions remaining free agents could end up resigning with the club? Maybe Lulay if he decides to play again, but hearing both Argos and Riders are interested. Maybe Cody Husband?

Lions need a kicker and only experienced guy and sole free agent kicker out there is that guy from the Tiger Cats and he is Canadian. Will Lions go cheap there and draft a guy or recruit another American kicker?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 pm
Who of Lions remaining free agents could end up resigning with the club? Maybe Lulay if he decides to play again, but hearing both Argos and Riders are interested. Maybe Cody Husband?
As much as I would love to see Lulay remain a Lion until he retires from playing and moves into a coaching position, I don't see him being offered or accepting a deal in BC. I don't think Hervey is concerned about having a capable #2 QB for 2019. Reilly has been durable, and even if god forbid injury strikes I think Hervey is OK flushing the 2019 season. The fan expectations may be that the Lions are instant Grey Cup contenders, but the reality is more likely that it will be 2020 before all the pieces are in place. Look at Edmonton last year; Reilly had an MVP calibre season, he played all 18 games, the Esks had a better receiving corp than we have right now, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I expect Hervey's strategy will be to sign two $75,000 QBs and begin grooming them, rather than pay for a more experienced veteran.

Lulay proved last season that when healthy he is still an elite CFL QB. Even if he re-signed a similar deal ($175 plus bonuses) why would Hervey commit than much money for a position he doesn't feel he needs to fill in the short term? Meanwhile, over in Toronto, the Argos have plenty of money since BLM walked away from $800K.

The only knock on Lulay is proneness for injury. BUT, when he gets hurt he goes on the 6 game IR and that salary no longer counts against the SMS. MLSE can easily afford to pay guys on IR. So, if I am Jim Pop I offer Lulay $200K plus $!50K in playing bonuses and give him a legit shot to win the starting job in training camp. If Franklin does emerge as #1 and plays all 18 then the worst case is TO paid a bit too much for a clipboard holder, but remember they still got one of the best QB mentors in the game which will pay dividends if Franklin becomes the franchise QB for years to come. Best case for TO is they get a potential MVP season from Travis Lulay at well below market value.
CardiacKid
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:

Lions need a kicker and only experienced guy and sole free agent kicker out there is that guy from the Tiger Cats and he is Canadian. Will Lions go cheap there and draft a guy or recruit another American kicker?
Quinn Van Gylswyck is available I think. He can reunite with Terrell Davis.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

Quinn Van Gylswyck is available I think. He can reunite with Terrell Davis.
Van Gylswyck was on the practice roster last year for a while.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jeremiah Johnson has signed in Montreal, where he'll be reunited with former teammates DeVier Posey and Bo Lokombo.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 am
Jeremiah Johnson has signed in Montreal, where he'll be reunited with former teammates DeVier Posey and Bo Lokombo.
That tears at my gut....JJ24 was my fave BC Lion for all sorts of reasons. But when he was sat down at the end of last year (even with the finest game of his career under his just under his belt), the writing was on the wall. Plus I guess he was too much a Wally guy....

I feel for International running backs, just about as transient as a gypsy without much, if any, say where they get to go. And especially a guy like JJ who has his family here year round.

I was thinking Ottawa would be a fit, what with William Powell having departed there. I know JJ24 was very popular amongst the Redblack Nation.

Thanks for all you did for the Lions and the community in BC JJ24!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Jeremiah Johnson not getting the love from the GM is a head scratcher for me, but not close to the move that saw Smith traded to the Bombers for Charles Roberts - ending both of their careers as Wally used to know best.

We know that Wally subscribed to the theory that running backs are a dime a dozen but he's more than proven himself.

Let's face it, the GM is setting out to build his team and the Lions need to change the narrative in the fan base and media here - and that plus the Reilly signing - means turnover in the longer term vets.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Cody Fajardo has reportedly signed in Saskatchewan.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Eskimos Sign Anthony Parker @EdmontonEsks

So Lions lose 2 more.

Who will be their backup QB this year? Ricky Lloyd? Lions only have 2 quarterbacks signed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm
Who will be their backup QB this year? Ricky Lloyd? Lions only have 2 quarterbacks signed.
Most likely scenario is that Travis Lulay accepts a smaller contract to back up and mentor his best friend Mike Reilly. Lulay is the one who lured Reilly to B.C. in their almost daily conversations in the recent months. He’s not likely to leave the West Coast for a chance to back up Zach Collaros in Saskatchewan, James Franklin in Toronto or Johnny Manziel in Montreal when he can have the same role here, where he remains an icon in the community and has a family home in Blaine.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:36 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm
Most likely scenario is that Travis Lulay accepts a smaller contract to back up and mentor his best friend Mike Reilly. Lulay is the one who lured Reilly to B.C. in their almost daily conversations in the recent months. He’s not likely to leave the West Coast for a chance to back up Zach Collaros in Saskatchewan, James Franklin in Toronto or Johnny Manziel in Montreal when he can have the same role here, where he remains an icon in the community and has a family home in Blaine.
I do see one big difference though. If Lulay did wind up in Toronto his role there could be very much similar to what he had here in BC the past two years which was to be backup/mentor to a young QB with a much higher likelihood of getting playing time. In Saskatchewan he'd probably get significant playing time due to Collaros struggling to stay healthy.

With Reilly the odds of seeing the field are almost zilch unless he actually gets injured for the first time since 2015. Over the past three years Eskimo back up QBs attempted a total of 53 passes. 27 of those attempts came in the final game of the 2016 season when Edmonton decided to give Reilly the night off. Toss that game out and the average for the 3 years is down to around 9 passes per season for Reilly backups. In the past 3 years Reilly's backups have been the CFL version of the Maytag repairman.

As much as Lulay loves Reilly and would love being on the same squad again would his competitive desire and want to play take him farther afield?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
ZLions
Rookie

The Duron Carter signing has gotten me excited. If he gets his mental health together and is utilized properly by the coaching staff, he could very well be the best/most reliable receiver we’ve had since Geroy. Could attract more bums in the seat for us a well. A bit of a risky signing perhaps, but he could be way worth it.
green road kill
Rookie

Well let's start with Duron, if his mind starts to wander wich it has a tendency to do . Don t worry, just get him a squeaky toy with some flashy bling , bling and he 'll be fine .

All kidding aside D.C. is a huge tallest and could have a huge impact on our offence. I put him on the same level as Walker. But just in case don t fogger the bling bling.

MIKE RIELLY

ED did what ED had to do. HE had to get the fan base back, he had to get people and the media , talking CFL FOOTBALL, and about the LIONS, he had to stop the slide, and he did that with one stroke of the pen.

The cost has been high , myself as a long time LEO fan hated to see those players leave . Bust remember a line backer has never won you a cup. So far

The guys we lost and the guys we brought in I d say we're about equal. For the first time in a couple years I M really looking forward to the start of the season. We are going to have a different looking team , and maybe that's not such a bad thing.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Most likely scenario is that Travis Lulay accepts a smaller contract to back up and mentor his best friend Mike Reilly.
Except Mike Reilly does not need mentoring. That plus Reilly's durability makes the back-up job in BC much less valuable. Lulay is over qualified for what Hervey needs, and for what he will be willing to pay. Unless Lulay is willing to sign for Ricky Lloyd money, I don't see the Lions even offering him a deal.

Jame Franklin would benefit from a mentor such as Lulay, plus there has to still be some doubt whether Franklin is ready to be THE guy for the Argos for 18 games. So the back up gig in Toronto is worth more to that team. Now, when you look at who is still available you basically have Kevin Glenn and Travis Lulay. Both probably would cost about the same, but with Lulay you have a much better chance of getting a guy who could be your starting QB and win games.

Toronto could see Lulay at $200K as a bargain, while BC might consider Lulay at $100K to be paying too much. Both teams would be correct in their assessment, based on their individual needs.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I wonder if Manny will end up in Ottawa? He has good chemistry with Jennings. I still believe that Manny was one of the leading voices in 2015 that was calling for Jennings to get a shot instead of Beck. His effort improved immediately as soon as Jennings took over.

Yes Manny is coming off a major injury, but with no signing bonuses being paid there is no financial risk to taking a guy who may not be 100% healthy in time for training camp.