Rich Stubler to be Lions new DC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 am
So I'm happy to have Stubler back and all...but what's the word on Melvin?
According to LU, Corey Mace is in line to follow Claybrooks to B.C. Claybrooks has said he wants to work with assistants he knows and trusts. The pair were tight in Calgary. Mace succeeded Claybrooks as Stampeders' DL coach. He is also a Vancouver native.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am
cromartie wrote:
According to LU, Corey Mace is in line to follow Claybrooks to B.C. Claybrooks has said he wants to work with assistants he knows and trusts. The pair were tight in Calgary. Mace succeeded Claybrooks as Stampeders' DL coach. He is also a Vancouver native.
Bummer. I've always been a fan of Melvin's work. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:48 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
cromartie wrote:
According to LU, Corey Mace is in line to follow Claybrooks to B.C. Claybrooks has said he wants to work with assistants he knows and trusts. The pair were tight in Calgary. Mace succeeded Claybrooks as Stampeders' DL coach. He is
also a Vancouver native.
Bummer. I've always been a fan of Melvin's work. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.
Melvin is well connected. I actually wasn't expecting he'd stay more than the one year, two tops. He won't be looking for work long. Maybe he can get that Dallas job.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am also a big Randy Melvin fan and as already suggested he should be in demand if there are either NFL or CFL or even NCAA openings.
aklawitter
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:31 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm
I was always impressed with how Wally was able to keep Bighill and Eliminian together for so long given SMS considerations.
Wally was masterful at balancing the SMS books. Like a good chessmaster he was always thinking about his salary moves 2 and 3 years down the road. One thing that helped keeping Team 100 together was that Wally was able to keep his QB costs down compared to other teams. Lulay never made it into the stratosphere of Reilly, Burris and others who were in the $450K to $550K range. I think he got up to around $400K for maybe a year then the injuries hit and he took cuts. I think from 2015 thru 2017 where Reilly was making upwards of $550K BC was paying Lulay and Jennings combined somewhere around $400K, maybe $425K.

SolE arrived in 2010 and Biggie 2011. While they were becoming prominent players worthy of significant raises other Lions making big tickets were coming off the books. Brent Johnson retired and Aaron Hunt departed after 2011. Jarious Jackson who was probably one of the highest paid #2 went to Toronto after 2011. Geroy's contract came off the books after 2012. While not on the same pay grade as Johnson or Simon solid veteran starters likely in the $150K+ range like Ben Archibald, Anton McKenzie, Angus Reid and Keron Williams all left after 2013.
That would be quite the feat and coup for Hervey if he were able to swing both Reilly and Singleton to BC. Solly would have to be a casualty.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:23 pm
I am also a big Randy Melvin fan and as already suggested he should be in demand if there are either NFL or CFL or even NCAA openings.
Like most positional coaches in football Melvin has been a nomad. He broke out of coaching at the high school ranks joining his Alma mater Eastern Illinois in 1988. He spent 7 years there, by far the longest stop in his career. In the 24 years since then he made 12 stops with 8 coming in the last 10 years and he didn't even coach in 2017.

Along the way he's been at:
Eastern Illinois
Wyoming
Purdue - twice
New England Patriots
Rutgers - twice
Cleveland Browns
Temple
BC Lions - twice
Tampa Bay Bucs
Florida International
Miami Hurricanes
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Stubler may not be back. Now the word is that Hamilton has asked for permission to speak to him about their vacant DC. Tiger Cats may try to steal him away from the Lions. If they do, does Washington come back as Lions DC?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am
Stubler may not be back. Now the word is that Hamilton has asked for permission to speak to him about their vacant DC. Tiger Cats may try to steal him away from the Lions. If they do, does Washington come back as Lions DC?
The pull to BC would be his home just south of Surrey IIRC - and if he has that home still.

The Cory Mace to BC talk is interesting but just maybe he'd find a better role in Stampville?

Heard part of a great Dave Dickenson interview with Walker and Rintoul (freaking Sportsnet) on Claybrooks as a delegator and how Dave was comfortable that he let his DEF staff develop. I turned it on just after 5 pm last night when it was in progress and I think they ended the call about 5:22 pm.

Dickenson spoke on how Bo will be back if he doesn't get the right deal and he spoke of his own sojourn down south in the NFL where he didn't get a decent shot. It was super as both Rintoul and Walker are very informed on the CFL. He didn't take the bait on the frustrations QBs must have with seeing QBs who can't play in the NFL still starting. He spoke of how it's the right situation. Put the QB in the right situation with the right coaches and players - he might do well but if you change coaches, it might not work.

How come TSN 1040 doesn't do calls like that?

Moj way back used to have many guests and even if it was not something I was most interested in, his interviewing skills made it sound like he was chatting to an old associate and always interesting. Now he is with Donny they do yap yap shows on things that aren't always meaningful.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting article in the Calgary Sun.

This sentence is messed up as Dickenson didn't leave but these coaches are all GC champions as HC's and quickly. How much is from Hufnagel's influence might be debatable but clearly the development there is not challengeable.
The proof is in Dickenson, Chris Jones and Rick Campbell, head coaches of the Stamps, the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Ottawa Redblacks, all of whom became Grey Cup champions after leaving the Stampeders.
“Huff’s shown that he can groom first-year head coaches that are still in the league and that are still working now,” said Claybrooks, making sure to praise Huff — among others — for his ascent to the CFL’s head coaching ranks. “My goal when I became a d-line coach was to become a defensive coordinator … I was lucky to be with Rick (Campbell) and (Rich Stubler) that did a great job to show me this is how you call a game, this is how you set it up and this is how you break down a team. I have to pay homage to those guys that took me under their wing because I really don’t know what Huff saw in me in 2011 to say, ‘I can see you being a head coach in this league and a coordinator one day and you should think about coaching.’

https://calgarysun.com/sports/football/ ... head-coach
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am
Just as Claybrooks has familiarity with Stubler so too has Steinauer. Stubler was DC and later HC in Toronto from 2003 until 10 games deep in the 2008 season. Steinauer was an Argo DB for Stubler's entire stay those 6 years.
VictoriaFan
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
cromartie wrote:
emailed Coreys dad earlier and he's not sure what he's doing, he's talked to the Vikings recently and also might get offered the DC job in Calgary. He likes Calgary and his wife is from there, we shall see
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

VictoriaFan wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
cromartie wrote:
emailed Coreys dad earlier and he's not sure what he's doing, he's talked to the Vikings recently and also might get offered the DC job in Calgary. He likes Calgary and his wife is from there, we shall see
Mace might get an elevated role as Dickenson with Rintoul and Walker yesterday says there's a good DEF staff left behind. Dickenson was effusive in his praise of that DEF staff as he says he's not worried with Claybrooks leaving as he as DC delegated and let these guys do their jobs (the Stamps way).

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/13/stamp ... ordinator/

However 3downnation are suggesting it's not him but likely to be Brent Monson as DC as he's
(Monson's) been on the Stampeders coaching staff for 10 seasons, serving as strength and conditioning coach, defensive line coach and running backs coach. He’s been linebackers coach for six of those years, including the last four and three seasons under Claybrooks.

Most notably, Monson groomed Alex Singleton from the time Calgary drafted him in the first round in 2016 helping develop him into one of the elite linebackers in the CFL.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

For this fan Stubler would be the first choice for DC here. Go away, Hamilton. Ha ha

Corey Mace might be the second choice. Although a bit green perhaps, DeVone is here to continue mentoring him.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

According to Dave Naylor from TSN, an hour ago, Rich Stubler has chosen to come to the BC Lions as defensive co-ordinator.
Roar you Lions roar!
squishy35
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm
According to Dave Naylor from TSN, an hour ago, Rich Stubler has chosen to come to the BC Lions as defensive co-ordinator.
Groovy!