Lions Officially Sign Posey -

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

DeVier Posey is back in the CFL, but not with the Toronto Argonauts.

According to TSN's Dave Naylor, Posey has agreed to a deal to join the BC Lions following a stint in camp with the Baltimore Ravens and a workout earlier in the week with the Buffalo Bills.

This is great news. That means someone who plays tonight is likely gone before the next game.

* NOTE - changing the topic of this thread until an official announcement. Don't want to jinx it. :wink: - Mods
JohnnyMusso
Champion

To make room for his salary, for clearly Hervey outbid Toronto, could Rainey be the odd man out and be cut to make room for him. One import has to go.
squishy35
Legend

David
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:47 pm
To make room for his salary, for clearly Hervey outbid Toronto, could Rainey be the odd man out and be cut to make room for him. One import has to go.
God, I hope not. The one player who can tilt the field, and give a club who has trouble finding chunk yards instant field position. That would be ****in' stupid.

Besides, Rainey's stock has to have dropped if he's a healthy scratch tonight. This means we won't get fair market value for him. How many GMs want to "take him off our hands?" I can't see us just releasing him. That would be absolute insanity.

I would assume one receiver playing tonight might be a casualty. Didn't we save big $$ having Solly and Manny 6-gamed?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good news.

Ed Hervey is doing a masterful job bringing in talent. IMO ...

The list of very talented, experienced acquisitions is long. Very long.

Has it given us a winning record? Nope. But methinks the talent is there to be very competitive.

As with many others, I thought Posey, if he came to the CFL, would head to Toronto.

Way to go, Ed. :thup:

6'2'' 210, 28 y/o

4.39 in the 40

NFL draft Rnd 3, #68

5 NFL teams

Grey Cup Champion

Grey Cup MVP

Wow ...

It's amazing that this guy falls out of the tree to us. Ready made.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If anyone needs reminding of his potential impact:

Blitz
Team Captain

I sure hope it doesn't cost us Rainey.

But that aside, Hervey is amazing. I just wrote on another thread that to imagine this season without Hervey or Wally remaining as GM instead gives me the shudders!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 pm
DeVier Posey is back in the CFL, but not with the Toronto Argonauts.

According to TSN's Dave Naylor, Posey has agreed to a deal to join the BC Lions following a stint in camp with the Baltimore Ravens and a workout earlier in the week with the Buffalo Bills.

This is great news. That means someone who plays tonight is likely gone before the next game.
Not before next game unless somebody gets hurt. More likely here at home against Hamilton. He needs to get a few practices in. It would be expecting a lot for him to pick up enough of the offense in a week that will be shortened by travel to Montreal for next Friday night. Realistically he'd be looking at 3 practices. Saturday day off, Sunday to break down and review tape from tonight. Practice Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then fly to Montreal Thursday. If he's already in town or flying in tomorrow that is the most exposure to the BC offense he could get. Is it enough?

Duron Carter was signed a full week before the LDC but won't suit up until the rematch this weekend. Original talk was that he wouldn't play until next game but the loss to Hamilton last week put more urgency into the situation.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, as I said when I first posted the news -- intentionally and cautiously (with fingers & toes crossed!) on the "Potential New Receivers for BC" thread, "Welcome to BC, Mr. Posey, and thankyou (again!) Ed!" I couldn't quite believe it. But let me sing the refrain with you others here now as it's beginning to sink in -- Hervey is and has been amazing! Confession: I was not a fan of his before he came to us. Boy was I wrong! He's been solid (and surprising time and again) from day one with us!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm
If anyone needs reminding of his potential impact:

He's a very good receiver and no doubt the Lions made him a significant and very good offer or he'd have likely returned to Toronto.

"If anyone needs reminding" it was a future HoF QB Ricky Ray who played that day!! lol

BC needed an upgrade at REC as did the Argos who Davis Sanchez says is the worst vertical passing team - a characteristic he normally doesn't associate with a Trestman coached team and he played for this guy (on D).

So either Posey got the big bucks and Rainey or someone has to take the fall for that OR less plausibly he didn't want to go back to Toronto this season.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:19 pm
Yes, as I said when I first posted the news -- intentionally and cautiously (with fingers & toes crossed!) on the "Potential New Receivers for BC" thread, "Welcome to BC, Mr. Posey, and thankyou (again!) Ed!" I couldn't quite believe it. But let me sing the refrain with you others here now as it's beginning to sink in -- Hervey is and has been amazing! Confession: I was not a fan of his before he came to us. Boy was I wrong! He's been solid (and surprising time and again) from day one with us!
Hervey has been more than impressive and he will continue to bring in talent. Free agency, trades, draft....he's done so much for us already.

But I just had a scary thought....in fact scared the living hell out of myself with it...that with all this talent being assembled by Hervey....what if Buono changes his mind and decides to come back next season? My stomach started churning.

Even though we are in last place in the West, this team, as its assembled right now and with Posey coming in, I would not be surprised at all for our Leos to get a playoff spot and go on to win the Grey Cup. On the other hand, Buono coached teams tend to be even more predictable in the playoffs. But we still could do it.

Our overall talent right now is much better than any of our squads since 2012 and is better than any other team other than Calgary, which would get the edge but not by much.

As Anthony Parker just said after his first practice week: "It's one thing to see it on TV and one thing to read the scouting report, but to be here and practice with the guys, you see there's no shortage of talent."
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

Really glad the team did not pull the trigger on Carter and had the opportunity to sign Posey.

All the talent (if not more). None of the bullsh*t.

Wonder if the possibility of Posey appearing on the horizon may have played a factor in the Lions giving Carter a pass?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:59 pm
Really glad the team did not pull the trigger on Carter and had the opportunity to sign Posey.

All the talent (if not more). None of the bullsh*t.

Wonder if the possibility of Posey appearing on the horizon may have played a factor in the Lions giving Carter a pass?
^^^Agree 100%. The fact that Argos had already signed Carter probably made it too difficult for them to also sign Posey. And Posey is a better guy to have on a team because he comes without all the baggage that Carter carries.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm

But I just had a scary thought....in fact scared the living hell out of myself with it...that with all this talent being assembled by Hervey....what if Buono changes his mind and decides to come back next season? My stomach started churning.
Stop it Blitz. Right now.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

Did they sign him though? Indications are now that he may not have actually signed. Foley all over again.