Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm
On CFL news, there are speculating on 3 teams Bowman may end up.

1) Winnipeg
2) BC
3) Montreal

Montreal could pay him the most, but they have no QB and likely will finish dead last. I think Hervey will go after him, but they really need to sign 1 or 2 OL in free agency. That is their greatest need.
I hope we don’t see a trend of former Esks being consistently touted as finding homes in BC because of Hervey’s presence. Not that I believe former Eskimos entering the market are any less capable than players set adrift from other teams but other criteria as to what the Leo’s really require has to be the priority.

Plus does Hervey really covet Bowman? He seems like a GM who is willing to look farther afield than his old stomping grounds when it comes to filling out a roster. Just a hunch....

Plus finding that previously unknown gem of a player can be pretty exciting.
It's what fans do. If a prospective FA or trade candidate happen to have been part of an organization at the same time as a given GM or HC they always want to assume the two parties want to be reunited. Hervey was part of the Eskimo organization for much of Bowman's time there? Big deal. If that means anything you can tie him to half the teams in the CFL. Montreal GM Kavis Reed was his HC at one time. Hamilton's GM Eric Tillman was the GM who signed him when he joined the Esks. Rider HC Chris Jones and OC McAdoo were his coaches for 2 years in Edmonton. Ottawa HC Rick Campbell was on the Eskimo staff for parts of Bowman's time there.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I can't see why on earth we need to look for a receiver unless we have lost someone that I am not aware of? It is one part of the team where we really aren't hurting too much.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am
I can't see why on earth we need to look for a receiver unless we have lost someone that I am not aware of? It is one part of the team where we really aren't hurting too much.
The Lions traded Chris Williams and have yet to re-sign Nick Moore. Marco Iannuzzi retired, so they have only three starting receivers: Manny Arceneaux, Bryan Burnham and Shaq Johnson.
maxlion
Legend

Count me as a fan of Bowman. He has arguably been the best receiver in the CFL over the past 5 years, and is an outstanding person in the community.

That said, we have 2 highly paid receivers already. Do we need another? Probably not. He would be a better fit in Hamilton or Toronto, in my opinion.
CardiacKid
Legend

From Lowell Ullrich on Twitter..

‘This should be the week #BCLions resolve return of pending f/a QB Travis Lulay. Positive knee rehab, plus contract restructuring by Jon Jennings, factors trending in his favour as talks get underway. #CFL”
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Bowman signed 1 year deal with the Bombers. No surprise. Lions need to focus on fixing the OL and I hope going after Konar. He would made a good replacement for Awe and he is Canadian. Bring him home BC.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

GM Ed Hervey confirms 13 of remaining 15 under expiring #CFL contracts will likely hit free agency Tues. Only active negotiations currently with QB Travis Lulay and DB/LB Chandler Fenner. Bazzie, Fabien, Purifoy, Roh & Yell in group of starters about to be free.

So Roh and Bazzie are gone as expected with the trades of 2 new DL. Fabien gone too; he was the weak link in the OL.

Purifoy looked South of the border. Maybe Yell wants too much money.
CardiacKid
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm
GM Ed Hervey confirms 13 of remaining 15 under expiring #CFL contracts will likely hit free agency Tues. Only active negotiations currently with QB Travis Lulay and DB/LB Chandler Fenner. Bazzie, Fabien, Purifoy, Roh & Yell in group of starters about to be free.

So Roh and Bazzie are gone as expected with the trades of 2 new DL. Fabien gone too; he was the weak link in the OL.

Purifoy looked South of the border. Maybe Yell wants too much money.
Disappointing regarding Yell....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not disappointed that Bazzie and Fabien are gone.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 pm
Not disappointed that Bazzie and Fabien are gone.
We can do better than this going to FA. That's the message I take away. Never thought Yell was all that.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kirby Fabien. First round pick. Has some talent. Another disappointing NAT OL, who did not develop as hoped.

The two big personnel concerns for this team remain the OL and the DL.

Hopes ride on Hervey. Turnaround can be quick in the CFL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes gives an update on the future of pending free agent Travis Lulay, who is leaning toward returning if and when his surgically repaired knee is healthy again.
“I don’t want to say I’m coming back stronger in 2018 and I don’t want to say I can’t take it any more,” Lulay says over the phone.

“But if and when the knee comes around, I’m leaning toward playing again.
“We’re having conversations,” says Lions GM Ed Hervey. “I think it’s probably going to be longer than anticipated, not because there’s anything delaying it. It’s more about Travis wanting to play. He’s working that out.

“When you have multiple injuries and you start to think about life after football. I don’t think he’s given any indication he’s planning to retire but, during our conversation, it appeared that thought had crossed his mind.”
Lulay also provides the Lions with a viable option at the game’s most important position. Prior to his injury last season, he’d averaged an astonishing 380 passing yards per game in his five-plus outings and held the highest rating among all CFL quarterbacks. The plain fact is the Lions’ offence was its most productive when Lulay was at the controls.

“I do,” Hervey answered simply when asked if he sees a role for Lulay on the Lions.

“If Travis plays next year, I hope it’s here. The reality is it’s more on Travis and what he wants to do.”
As it happens, the CFL’s free-agent market opens on Tuesday, which is relevant because Lulay is without a contract for next season. Hervey has had preliminary discussion’s with the quarterback’s agent, Dan Vertlieb, but negotiations won’t begin in earnest until Lulay is satisfied his knee will allow him to play.
Ed Willes: Lulay, the comeback kid, is willing to try it one more time
CardiacKid
Legend

If we didn’t already have solid Nationals in Menard, Forde and Luke, I would be jumping up and down like a madman, screaming that the Lions need to make a play for Zac Evans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 am
Kirby Fabien. First round pick. Has some talent. Another disappointing NAT OL, who did not develop as hoped.

Disappointing? Maybe, maybe not when one considers the entire draft class. Ironically Fabien's 77GP is the tops for OL in his draft class. Mike Filer is next with 76 and Brad Erdos is 3rd with 48. Nobody else is still playing in the CFL although Austin Paztor is still bouncing around the NFL. The other 6 are out of football. Fabien is last CFL OL standing from the 1st round of the 2012 Draft and he was the 4th one choaen. after Ben Heenan (1st overall and retired), Tyson Pencer (3rd overall and out of football) and Paztor (4th overall and in NFL).
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 am

Disappointing? Maybe, maybe not when one considers the entire draft class. Ironically Fabien's 77GP is the tops for OL in his draft class. Mike Filer is next with 76 and Brad Erdos is 3rd with 48. Nobody else is still playing in the CFL although Austin Paztor is still bouncing around the NFL. The other 6 are out of football. Fabien is last CFL OL standing from the 1st round of the 2012 Draft and he was the 4th one choaen. after Ben Heenan (1st overall and retired), Tyson Pencer (3rd overall and out of football) and Paztor (4th overall and in NFL).
I kind of liked him.

Others on here, with opinions I respect, do not even want him back.

Does the team want him back? I think they must.

Still a disappointment I think, despite the overall draft class.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.