Super Bowl LII Game Day Thread, February 4, 2018

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

52nd Super Bowl

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick go once more Into the Super Bowl. At U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.

3:30 pm PT

Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth call the game.

Billed by some as a juggernaut vs an underdog.

Carson Wentz out. Nick Foles in at QB for the Eagles.

It seems Rob Gronkowski will play.

Could be a good game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

The Bill & Tom show continues... They are not my cup of tea, but they admittedly are amazing, my hat's off to them for their success. When one is not a fan of their team however it becomes a bit maddening how they keep coming back from behind in games even when it seems unlikely. There they are again with the victory! I anticipate it will be the same again. And again I will acknowledge them for what they are -- true champions. But loathe them all the more! heh heh. (Just like the CFL's EE dynasty of yore.) So, an upset would be delicious! I'd be ecstatic. Go Mr. 'Back-up' Foles and company, go! Play the game of your lives! They very well may play the game of their lives -- and, alas, still lose. I expect so. But in the end a good contest will make it a good enough day for me.
South Pender
Legend

I'm pulling for the Eagles in this one. They've previously been to two SBs, losing both. Their last NFL championship (pre-Super Bowl) was in 1960. I'd like to see Nick Foles have another good game--as he has so far in the playoffs. However, it's hard to see the Patriots losing this one, as has been true for many SBs. If they win, they will have tied the record of SB wins with the Steelers at six. Actually, I find the Patriots an easy team to like--all the way down from Robert Kraft to Bill Belichick to Tom Brady and beyond. Brady's class and lack of narcissism separates him from so many NFL stars. Still, in many ways, it would be good for the game and league, I think, to see an end to the Patriots string of success.

Go Eagles. :thup:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As you may know, when a city is playing for a sports championship I always like to see what other city's sports teams might be playing on that day to see if it will be a great or terrible day. Before the Super Bowl starts, the Celtics are hosting the Portland Trail Blazers and with the Celtics much better record, they will likely win the game while the 76ers are not playing tomorrow. And neither the Bruins nor the Flyers will be playing on Super Bowl day either.

--------
Not sure if there's any Eagles rosters from 13 years ago in Super Bowl XXXIX. Obviously then Eagles starting QB Donovan McNabb has long since been replaced by Michael Vick, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Carson Wentz, and now Nick Foles. It's always rather amazing when the starting QB for a good team gets injured near the end of the regular season, and the backup rises to the occasion and performs well in the playoffs which is what Nick Foles has done and coincidentally, which actually jump-started Tom Brady's career when his then starting Patriots QB's got injured and he proved himself when he was given the reigns as the starter.

The two teams are essentially identical on both offence and defence, with the Patriots and Eagles having PF of 458 and 457, and PA of 296 and 295 respectively along with their identical 13-3 records. So there won't really be a "best offence" vs. "best defence" and essentially it will be the best NFC and AFC teams battling it out.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tired of the Pats.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am not so much anti Pats as I am an Eagle fan.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Celtics fought back to win narrowly 97-96 over the Trail Blazers. A prelude for the Patriots?
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 pm
So when it comes to neutral, non-home cities when it comes to liking a team from a particular city then do you like other teams from that city? Yes, you've stated that you dislike all Toronto teams. Fine. But now that you have stated that you are an Eagles fan, then are you also a fan of the Phillies, 76ers, Union, and Flyers?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:45 pm
Celtics fought back to win narrowly 97-96 over the Trail Blazers. A prelude for the Patriots?
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 pm
So when it comes to neutral, non-home cities when it comes to liking a team from a particular city then do you like other teams from that city? Yes, you've stated that you dislike all Toronto teams. Fine. But now that you have stated that you are an Eagles fan, then are you also a fan of the Phillies, 76ers, Union, and Flyers?
I am an eagles fan because of the flyers which I cheered for when they were the white uniform on a black and white tv the year they first won the cup. Also, I like the name of the city. I don't follow the sports of the other teams in Philly. However, as far as NFL, and NHL, I cheer for a number of teams each year, not always the same, and it is pretty much only for that sport.

BTW, I do like the Argos, which is why I don't like any other Toronto team. Not cheering for Argos as long as Ray is QB tho.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Didn't observe any players kneeling during the national anthem. :good: They all stood and most players placed their hand over their heart. :thup:
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Eagles looking good. Foles and the receivers.

I don't usually liike Michaels and Collinsworth. But I laughed when CC said: ''Can any of us survive the ground?''

Just when I think the Pat's offence is in trouble Brady hits Amendola.

Offences too good, even against very good defences.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Looks like the Eagles' day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Terrible headshot on the Patriot's receiver.

These coaching staffs do not roll out the same old, same old. Brilliant game plans and adjustments.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

9-3 Eagles :thup: :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

15-6 Eagles
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Eagle turnover deep in Patriot territory. New England respond with a 90 yard drive culminating in a touchdown. Convert missed. 15-12