Odell Willis headed to B.C.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's a busy trading day for veteran defensive ends, with Charleston Hughwa traded from Calgary to Hamilton for a fourth-round draft pick and a swap of frouth-rounders, and Odell Willis traded from Edmonton to Ottawa for defensive tackle Jake Ceresna. According to the Edmonton Journal, Ottawa was expected to trade Willis to B.C. for a conditional draft pick among other considerations.

Willis is a fan favourite who had 22 tackles and 8 sacks in 16 games last year with the Eskimos. At age 33, he may not be an every-down player but he can still make an impact.
The Redblacks, per multiple sources, are expected to turn around and move Willis to the B.C. Lions, reuniting him with Ed Hervey – the GM who brought him to Edmonton in 2013 – for a conditional draft pick and an unnamed player off Ottawa’s negotiation list.

Salary cap played a motivating factor in the decision to move Willis, with the 33-year-old’s annual price tag expected to be somewhere around $150,000, combined with the fact that Sunderland entered his first full off-season at the helm of the Eskimos with 37 player contracts set to expire on Feb. 13, including: Euclid Cummings, Aaron Grymes, Adam Konar, Kenny Ladler and J.C. Sherritt.
Eskimos deal Odell Willis to Redblacks
squishy35
Legend

If this happens it will lend an instant boost to the DL.

I have heard rumblings (can't say from where), that Aaron Grymes may be in a Lions' uniform come Free Agency Day.....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions and Redblacks have confirmed the trade. The Lions get Willis from Ottawa in exchange for the Lions' 2018 fourth-round draft pick and a player off the Lions' negotiation list.
JAMIE CARTMELL

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that it has acquired two-time CFL All-Star defensive end Odell Willis from the Ottawa REDBLACKS in exchange for the Lions’ fourth-round selection in the upcoming 2018 CFL Draft as well as a player currently on the Lions’ negotiation list.

A dominant force at defensive end for the past nine seasons, Willis (6’2”, 255) had been traded from Edmonton to Ottawa just prior to the Lions making their biggest announcement of the offseason to date.

“This is the kind of addition to our roster that I believe our fans expect and deserve heading into this season,” said GM Ed Hervey. “Odell is a player who can change the complexion of a game in a single play. He makes the players around him better and he will be a significant addition to our defence this season.”
BC LIONS AQUIRE DL ODELL WILLIS FROM OTTAWA
cjones2451
Rookie

squishy35 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

I have heard rumblings (can't say from where), that Aaron Grymes may be in a Lions' uniform come Free Agency Day.....
It was reported by Farhan he re-signed on Jan 11th, did that not happen?
squishy35
Legend

cjones2451 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:37 pm
squishy35 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

It was reported by Farhan he re-signed on Jan 11th, did that not happen?
You are not incorrect.....
BC 1988
Legend

Charleston Hughes wasn't in HAM very long. They turned around and dealt him to SSK for QB Vernon Adams, Jr.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4003059/tige ... tampeders/
With another QB addition, it looks like very little chance of Manziel ending up in HAM.
squishy35
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:45 pm
Charleston Hughes wasn't in HAM very long. They turned around and dealt him to SSK for QB Vernon Adams, Jr.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4003059/tige ... tampeders/
With another QB addition, it looks like very little chance of Manziel ending up in HAM.
That is fine with this CFL fan. :)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Odell Willis. Talented. Productive. This CFL fan has had reservations about Willis in the past.

Could be a good addition. Seemed to stick to the business in Edmonton, for the most part.

I have to credit Hervey for what might be a good move.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Odell Willis. Talented. Productive. This CFL fan has had reservations about Willis in the past.

Could be a good addition. Seemed to stick to the business in Edmonton, for the most part.

I have to credit Hervey for what might be a good move.
I hear ya WCJ -- I too have had occasion to wonder about Mr. Willis at times (borderline behavior now and again) but I don't recall much of antics in recent times -- and he is a jolly character oftentimes making things upbeat and entertaining. Bottom line, if at age 33 he can still bring it -- maybe in rotation with Menard at one end, and with Gabe Knapton at the other end position... this could be fun!
CardiacKid
Legend

If I remember correctly, he was benched at the end of the season or towards the end of the season.

I don’t think he will bring the impact that he has in the past. But he is athletic and can move along the line and also drop back into coverage. Kind of an older Willie Jefferson.

I think he will be a good team-mate; I just wonder if there is someone on the team who can provide him bit of a spark.

Personally I think the Riders made the better deal today.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 pm
Personally I think the Riders made the better deal today.
Agreed. The Riders now have two of the league’s best pass rushers in Jefferson and Hughes.

It took some complicated deals with East Division teams the Lions and Riders have both bolstered their D-lines at the expense of the Stamps and Eskimos, and that’s likely to help the competitive balance in the West.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would have been nice to have Hughes as well. I can always dream.......
Stamphater
prospect

Don't know if Odell is an every down pass rusher anymore but he can certainly still bring it in spurts. Solid locker room guy as long he doesn't step on any toes...
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Getting Willis is a great acquisition. He seemed to have matured while in Edmonton and has a good past relationship with Ed Hervey.
David
Team Captain

Charleston Hughes for Vernon Adams? Are you kidding me?!? What am I missing with Adams? He seems like more of a 3rd down sneak / wildcat guy.

I know Hughes is no spring chicken but I could see this as maybe....I dunno.....Adams and a draft pick....like a FIRST ROUNDER perhaps?? lol

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar