Lions sign new QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/24/lions ... -birdsong/

Michael Birdsong. He is 6'4" and 240 lbs. Attended the New Orleans Saints Camp last year.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks for the heads up squishy35 -- he's a big fellow, at least 2--4 inches taller than our current QBs, and considerably heavier at 240. But looks to be fairly mobile for his size, i.e. takes off and runs reasonably well for a big guy. I'm not a good assessor of throwing technique, I'll leave it to you more savvy fellows to comment on. Here's a film from his most recent year at Tennessee Tech.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like he's got some mobility, a necessity playing behind the Lions offensive line.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm
Looks like he's got some mobility, a necessity playing behind the Lions offensive line.
Looked like a very decent runner in university with good size.

BTW: He's featured in the univ Top 10 including no. 1 which looks like a typical CFL pro type play;

He was a 5thQB for the Saints so that says he wasn't going to stay.

https://whodatdish.com/2017/06/13/saint ... ssee-tech/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Not meaning to be negative here, but his draft scout ratings don't look exceptional. Below is the summary. He's not projected to be drafted. As for mobility, his speed (4.97 40) would seem to put limitations on that; he appears to be big and slow.

Just for comparison, Travis Lulay turned in a 4.74 40, and Jonathan Jennings, a 4.65.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB

The paper statistics don't tell anywhere near the whole story, of course, and we could be pleasantly surprised by his capabilities. TC will tell.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:29 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm
Looked like a very decent runner in university with good size.

BTW: He's featured in the univ Top 10 including no. 1 which looks like a typical CFL pro type play;

He was a 5thQB for the Saints so that says he wasn't going to stay.

https://whodatdish.com/2017/06/13/saint ... ssee-tech/
Whats with all the empty seats. I thought it was always standing room only at usa college and high school games
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

His last name keeps reminding me of "Brian's Song".....
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Not meaning to be negative here, but his draft scout ratings don't look exceptional. Below is the summary. He's not projected to be drafted. As for mobility, his speed (4.97 40) would seem to put limitations on that; he appears to be big and slow.

Just for comparison, Travis Lulay turned in a 4.74 40, and Jonathan Jennings, a 4.65.

The paper statistics don't tell anywhere near the whole story, of course, and we could be pleasantly surprised by his capabilities. TC will tell.
I'm surprised by his lack of speed in the 40. Judging on the video alone, I thought he looked amazingly quick and athletic for a big man, and he obviously has toughness. I'd love to see him run the QB sneak in short yardage. The Lions need someone for that role this year.

Here's a quote from his offensive coordinator at Tennessee Tech, and a video from the school's pro day:
His former offensive coordinator Justin Rascati had this to say about Birdsong about a year ago:

“I think he has NFL talent. I want to help him get to the NFL. I know that’s his dream. He’s got all the tools to get there. He’s a big, strong, athletic guy. He’s got a good arm. He’s tough. He’s got all the intangibles you need at that position to play at the next level.”

Saints brought in a 5th QB Michael Birdsong to mini camp today from Tennessee Tech

Birdsong also attended Seattle's rookie minicamp last year and drew a rave review from Pete Carroll. As a non-contract player, he didn't stick but Carroll said he graded out the best of the three QBs at camp.
The Seattle Seahawks had three quarterbacks competing during this weekend’s rookie minicamp, each hoping to secure a spot on the final roster: Jake Heaps, Skyler Howard, and Michael Birdsong.

“Just want to see what happens – just throwing them out there,” coach Pete Carroll said Friday after their first practice. “They had a great day today. Birdsong was on fire today. I thought Skyler looked good, he was running around, looked very resourceful. Jake is really sharp in our system. He knows our stuff.”
Coach Pete Carroll has 'decisions to make' on Seahawks backup QBs
The Seahawks had three quarterbacks take part in this weekend’s minicamp, Heaps, recently-signed undrafted rookie free agent Skyler Howard, and Tennessee Tech’s Michael Birdsong, who was participating as a tryout player. After watching all three quarterbacks this weekend, Carroll said Birdsong actually graded out the best and that the Seahawks will have tough decisions to make.

“Jake has always been a guy we really like, he has been really good for us and we can really count on him,” Carroll said. “Skyler did a nice job, worked at it. These guys coming under center a lot more makes a difference to them. I thought Birdsong did very well. Probably graded out the best of those guys in terms of completions percentage and things like that. He competed well to show there, he threw some really good footballs. So they did good stuff, we’ve got decisions to make.”
Seven Observations From The Final Day Of Seahawks Rookie Minicamp
David
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm

While it's true that 40 times can be pretty good predictor of a player's chances of making the roster - and 4.97 is approaching "non-athlete/layman" territory - it may not tell the whole story as you suggest. Could he have been injured at the time? How "elusive" is he? Does he have good escapability? Does he think the game fast?

I guess we'll find out in April at the OTA's.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess the problem with all the positive testimonials is that they didn't amount to anything so far as catching on with a team so how much value can you really place in them? The top ten video was just for Texas Tech 2016 as far as I could tell. And to have your QB get the number 1 spot for completing a crossing pattern tells me all about the video that I need to know. By all means bring him up. Maybe we need a 240 pounder. If he is the least bit aggressive, he might be able to punish a couple of blitzing LB's. Might make the opposition a little less eager. Might be good on short yardage.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm
I guess the problem with all the positive testimonials is that they didn't amount to anything so far as catching on with a team so how much value can you really place in them? The top ten video was just for Texas Tech 2016 as far as I could tell. And to have your QB get the number 1 spot for completing a crossing pattern tells me all about the video that I need to know. By all means bring him up. Maybe we need a 240 pounder. If he is the least bit aggressive, he might be able to punish a couple of blitzing LB's. Might make the opposition a little less eager. Might be good on short yardage.
The NFL has a rigid roster hierarchy. Veterans always have the inside track on roster positions, followed by draft picks, NFL free agents, priority undrafted free agents, CFL free agents and tryout players. A tryout player can walk on water but he likely won’t win a roster spot unless the players ahead of him drown.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I seriously doubt he walked on water (I know you aren't suggesting he did). At best, he might have done slightly better than the other two he was competing against. In any case, I am all for him coming up and showing what he has but based on video, I didn't see all that much. One scramble that required a terrific catch to make it a completion, a crossing pattern that somehow was the number 1 play of 2016 and not much else. It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that the QB who is basically at the heart of all offensive plays would easily be featured in several top 10 plays that might occur for a football team in the course of a season. What I saw didn't suggest that much and if that is what got cherry picked from the offense for a top 10 video, the picking must have been pretty slim. His stats don't look all that hot either. His best passing year was at 62% and it appears that throwing picks isn't unknown to him either. He has some great height which is a plus in this league. He is going to have to have a "show me the money" moment or be able to provide some specialty (like QB sneak ability) to earn a spot methinks.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Birdsong, Gale, Jennings, Lulay and Ross. 5 QBs on the roster as of now.

Still not sure what we have with Alex Ross. Need more reps in game time.

Birdsong? Big guy. Arm? Dunno. Mobility? Dunno. Intangibles? Dunno. The Leos feel he is worth a look. Ya never know for sure until the bullets fly.

He looks mobile and fast enough to run for big yardage on Ernie's tape at 1:00. 1:15 also. And 1:20. Et cetera.

With Lulay on the mend, it looks like JJ10 holding down the fort. Hopefully the backups can play.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Some have to be taken with a grain of salt. Pete Carroll for one isn't going to say anything critical of young QBs at a mini-camp. He's only going to pick some positive aspects out of each one's performance and use that. That's just the way Pete is.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Gale will be released prior to training camp to make room for another quarterback.