Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm
I have great respect for David Braley but it’s looking more and more likely that the Lions will eventually end up as part of an estate sale. I hope he’s made clear provisions for that in his will.
No kidding, eh! LOL. (Alas, it hurts to laugh).
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
I have great respect for David Braley but it’s looking more and more likely that the Lions will eventually end up as part of an estate sale. I hope he’s made clear provisions for that in his will.
Sadly, I tend to agree this is looking very possible. The only changes that could have an effect on his attitude is the new management of Lelacheur-Hervey and if Wally does in fact leave at the end of 2018. These changes, though, could actually result in him being even less inclined to sell.
David
Team Captain

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
More and more Braley is becoming Mr. Dithers
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Apparently his boys like football......
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

The "Don't Be A Bystander" campaign isn't about Lions fans, it's about everyone, much like that Muslim girl that was assaulted on the Skytrain and only one guy stood up, that's what needs to change. I like it and it needs to stay, just my opinion.
MacNews
Team Captain

VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 am
The "Don't Be A Bystander" campaign isn't about Lions fans, it's about everyone, much like that Muslim girl that was assaulted on the Skytrain and only one guy stood up, that's what needs to change. I like it and it needs to stay, just my opinion.
I don't like it, because it presumes that Lions fans are wife beaters.
David
Team Captain

MacNews wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm
VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:
Hmm, that's an interesting take, Mac. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

It's an important message, there's not denying that. And kudos to the Lions for stepping up for this cause. But it's a rather untimely juxtaposition to be bombarded with this message in the middle of a violent game of football. A bit of a jarring, misplaced buzzkill on the giant screen too, right after showing so many smiling and laughing fans.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MacNews wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm
VICIOUSCIRCLE wrote:
That's certainly a take on the campaign I never perceived. Having now thought about it I still don't perceive.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The campaign is "Don't Be A Bystander," not "Don't Be A Wife-Beater." It was ahead of the curve in society. I see it as a positive message in the community.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Again, the point is being missed, it's about not "Being a bystander". When you see something that's wrong step up, get involved, call the authorities. Is that a hard concept to understand?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:16 am
The campaign is "Don't Be A Bystander," not "Don't Be A Wife-Beater." It was ahead of the curve in society. I see it as a positive message in the community.
Exactly. The Lions were already promoting it before things like the Ray Rice incident pushed the issue to the front pages. When it first came out I thought well done boys. I still think it's something the club and players should be proud of and am glad the continue to promote it during games.

For a refresher click on the video link at the URL below.

https://www.bclions.com/bemorethanabystander/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

It (the campaign) has often left me feeling both humble and proud to be in such good forward-thinking company, i.e. the Lion's organization and the multitude of hopefully enlightened fans out for some fun. Messaging/messages for basic human-kindness and social responsibility, whatever the specifics, are never out of place, even if it's sobering or maybe even jarring amid the fun and games. That makes it all the more effective IMO. These days when it's so easy to get cynical and depressed by aspects of human nature/behavior, it's redeeming and hopeful to have one's fave/home football club shine a light.
CardiacKid
Legend

Former Lion JR LaRose was heavily involved in the "Don't Be a Bystander" program when he played and continues to be even when retired. I think his story highlights the aims of the program and its needs.

http://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/sports/ ... 1.14197105

And unfortunately, when talking about violence against women, it often involves violence against children. All the more reason for the program to be embraced by the general public.

I work in the education system and have seen just how much kids hang on every word of the Lions when they come to schools. A good chunk of these kids probably don't really know Lions players inside and out but they respect their words because they know they are athletes and they play a tough game.

It is a truly wonderful program that sheds light on a problem that used to reside in the shadows but can't any longer. I think it also shows just how in touch football players can be with society and their fellow human beings, not just caricatures of uncaring, self-centred athletes.
David
Team Captain

Not exactly earth-shattering news here. I've suspected for some time that La Familia Aquilini lost interest in buying the Lions. Francesco confirmed it this morning on Sportsnet 650 radio.

It looks more and more like the Waterboys consortium if Braley (or his estate) ever sell.

Roar, You Lions, Roar