Washington is back as DC. Melvin as DL coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

https://www.bclions.com/2017/12/21/mark ... oin-staff/

It's great to have Randy Melvin back. Hopefully it translates to a more aggressive DL.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Washington's return is no surprise. He brings good leadership and experience, and his defences have been among the league's best when he has the personnel to execute his schemes. The two biggest problems with the B.C. defence last year were a lack of QB pressures due to undersized and ineffective DL personnel and breakdowns in the secondary due to inexperience aggravated by constant shuffling of personnel. The talent is there, and one more year of experience should help cut down on the number of busted coverages on the wide side of the field.

Melvin was highly respected as a DL coach on the Grey Cup championship team in 2011 when he had a couple of big, strong tackles and some veteran, proven defensive ends. Who wouldn't love to coach Khalif Mitchell, Eric Taylor, Brent Johnson, Khreem Smith, Keron Williams and Aaron Hunt? I hope the Lions can acquire some new talent that Melvin can mould into an effective position group.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Looks lie D side of the ball is set. Now to see if the O side as is listed on the team website becomes the reality or if there are changes to happen there. One would think if Dorazio and Bellefeuille aren't going anywhere that some sort of official confirmation would have taken place by now. That one hasn't leads me to believe that with Jarious in place now he, Wally and Ed are at least going through the process of making a final decision on change or status quo.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:35 am
Washington's return is no surprise. He brings good leadership and experience, and his defences have been among the league's best when he has the personnel to execute his schemes. The two biggest problems with the B.C. defence last year were a lack of QB pressures due to undersized and ineffective DL personnel and breakdowns in the secondary due to inexperience aggravated by constant shuffling of personnel. The talent is there, and one more year of experience should help cut down on the number of busted coverages on the wide side of the field.

Melvin was highly respected as a DL coach on the Grey Cup championship team in 2011 when he had a couple of big, strong tackles and some veteran, proven defensive ends. Who wouldn't love to coach Khalif Mitchell, Eric Taylor, Brent Johnson, Khreem Smith, Keron Williams and Aaron Hunt? I hope the Lions can acquire some new talent that Melvin can mould into an effective position group.
I know some folks are really not keen on Washington but I have never really fully understood why. Granted, I am not a guy to break down schemes, game calling, etc. but I can recall several games this year where the defense kept games close and was really stout.
Yes, they certainly could use an upgrade in some postions on the DLine to create more pressure and I found the manner in which the secondary was shuffled counter-productive. But overall I thought the defense was a positive this year despite it all.
I know there will be disagreement but I am fine with Washington returning. The coaching staff has seen some changes and a refresh but continuity is important too.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm fairly confident that the new GM has the eye for talent that Wally likes and I'm sure he'll target players who can make a difference. Look at the size of the Esks Receivers - seems to be all of decent large size. That looks strategic versus just taking the best players around.

Washington is clearly eyeing the HC role here in BC and we'll have to see if the new GM sees it that way post season.

Work effort and leadership sound nice in a coach but effort alone when the other team has a pad to look at every play won't cut in the modern CFL where the O's are changing on the fly based on what they and they spotters and players see. The pads at the bench have been game changers for the QBs who no longer rely on a phone call from the booth - they can see it for themselves.

GM says D line is a priority - that's positive news.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

No real surprise here with MW returning as hes a Bouno favorite and most likely eyeing the HC reigns in 2019.He will need a strong season to be considered...i prefer Claybrooks to come west hes done more in much less time as a DC...also Jarious could be a dark horse with a strong showing...good to see Mr.Melvin back as D Line coach...with the right talent the front 4 should be fearsome once again!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IIRC, after Randy Melvin left for the NFL after the 2011 season, that is when Kalif Mitchell's play and character seemed to go down hill.

IMO, Randy Melvin is the best D line coach that the Lions have ever had so it is great to see him back in the den.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Very, very happy to have Randy Melvin back. Very happy. One of the best line coaches out there.
leo4life
All Star

Wonder if we will see an improvement in scheme or more soft deep zone coverage...it hasnt worked well why do the keep running it??
Qman
Champion

don't see scheme changing with MW back and wally in charge ... get ready for more 8 man drops.

Hopefully, 4 man rush will improve with a bunch of new players and Melvin in at coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Might we see Washington drop 12 men into coverage. 3 man rush isn't working.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm
The Chris Jones defence , is the master of-the the 3 man rush . BC rushes more than most of the others , contrary to popular opinion.
leo4life
All Star

Lions may rush more then most but rarely get to the QB...if personell cant get it done then its a scheme issue....Mr.Melvin and Mr.Hervey will clean that up;)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:38 pm
Lions may rush more then most but rarely get to the QB...if personell cant get it done then its a scheme issue....Mr.Melvin and Mr.Hervey will clean that up;)
The Lions blitz more often than fans may realize but they aren't effective when they do so. I think it's more of a personnel issue than a scheme issue.

On second and long, though, the Lions blitz less often than the majority of teams, about 31% of the time according to stats from TSN's Derek Taylor for the first half of the season. I'd love to see stats for the full season. Official league stats don't chart blitzes, just pressures and sacks.
CardiacKid
Legend

pennw wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm
The Chris Jones defence , is the master of-the the 3 man rush . BC rushes more than most of the others , contrary to popular opinion.
Chris Jones has the massive benefit of having a guy like Willie Jefferson at his disposal. The guy roams the entire length of the line, will blitz from anywhere, will drop back into coverage and be effective at it.

He has to be considered amongst the most, if not the most athletic player in the league. Couple that with his formidable size and wing span, he is a true force.

We talk about guys like Bryan Burnham having a large catch radius, Willie Jefferson has a large havoc radius.