Jeff Reinbold is baaaaack... ST coach.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

QB Club 63
All Star

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

OK, now I feel better. :tease:

When I first read this news, I was a tad upset (see above) but I guess as I mellow with age I'm thinking maybe I could cut the guy a little slack. I mean, everybody deserves an opportunity to show how they have grown and matured over the years. And I think his special teams track record proves he gets results.

Let's hope the third time is the charm. :cr:
CardiacKid
Legend

The overall performance of his special teams in Hamilton would have to rank higher than what we have enjoyed in BC for a number of years with our different coordinators. So that is encouraging.

The Hamilton defense under his watch was certainly part of the dumpster fire in Steeltown. So his most recent experience was a disaster but how much of that came down exclusively to him?

I am not a huge fan of recycling coaches but it is a reality in the CFL. I suppose the upside he could bring is experience and past success that could "encourage" a willingness on the part of Wally to step back from being the de facto Special Teams coordinator.

The guy certainly brings a reputation and a personality that needs to be separated from his abilities as a coach to get a truer sense of how he can positively impact the club.
David
Team Captain

This is a good hire. :thup:

His guys will run through a wall for him. He is a crazy a$$ but it works on special teams. As long as Wally lets him do is thing, we'll be much better off than what we had last year.

Special teams may have been the most disappointing part of our team last year (with the exception of our kicker). Very sloppy.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As noted on here, I attended a workshop/clinic many, many years ago where he was a guest speaker. He was with the Lions at the time as ST coach. He gave a very good presentation. Very detailed.

Although he has been known as something of a mad man, he can coach STs. He might not have the temperament of a head coach as we have seen.

I like this hire. He will no doubt hold his own in discussions of tactics, strategy and philosophy with Wally Buono. LOL

Some on here, including me, think that Wally gets what he wants from his coordinators and coaches. But he is also an aging Lion, and is perhaps mellowing a bit in his need for control.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cant stand the guy. totally hate this hire. they should have let Rita deck him
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
leo4life
All Star

Cant be any worse then Chuck McMann...LOL...i like this hire...smart ST coach...but yes hes out there....
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Do not like this move. Reinbold as a DC was terrible in Hamilton and he was rightly fired. Yes he has lots of experience and this is ST, but not happy with his appointment. This is a case now of BC needing a temporary replacement until team is sold and Reinbold is running out of chances so he is desperate to prove he can still coach after getting canned last year.
cjones2451
Rookie

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:53 pm
Do not like this move. Reinbold as a DC was terrible in Hamilton and he was rightly fired. Yes he has lots of experience and this is ST, but not happy with his appointment. This is a case now of BC needing a temporary replacement until team is sold and Reinbold is running out of chances so he is desperate to prove he can still coach after getting canned last year.
If I remember correctly, the defensive coordinators job was kind of thrust on him at the last minute and it wasn't his guys, his schemes etc. and he was the fall guy for Hamilton's bad start, but on ST his guys played their hearts out for him and he is well loved as a ST coach
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The good thing is he is experienced as opposed to Marcello S who was inexperienced. I will have a wait and see attitude about this hire.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mixed reactions on his hiring. Can it get any worse than Chuck McMann and Marcello Simmons. Can it ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I like this hire as he is not only experienced but a very successful STC in the past.
Quirky personality for sure, but who cares?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Special Teams performance is dependent first and foremost on two things:

1) The quality of your kicker (and whatever individual coaching he receives) and...
2) The depth of your roster (and implicitly, the quality of roster you've drafted over the previous two seasons)

If anything, as I see it, it's less about Xs and Os and more about the ability to command the limited attention of players who also have other responsibilities on other units. It requires a mindset that makes the best of what's around.

Enthusiasm in the CFL on this unit in particular can make a lot of difference. So in that sense, there's no one better.

But, uh, that should be about where this train stops organizationally.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like this hire. Reinebold was a terrible defensive coordinator in Hamilton but as I recall his special-teams units were always aggressive and prepared. The Lions aren't likely to be fooled as easily by fake punts and onside kicks under his watch. That itself could give them a couple of extra victories based on this year's experience.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is a terrific move for BC and clearly the new GM has already nudged Wally away from his comfort zone.

Anyone dissing this move given what happened to him as DC last year or how he was 20 years ago should do some reading on this guy as he's matured and is not that same person.

He's a brilliant ST coach and his failure as DC could hardly be laid at his door step. He's a class guy and a good coach.

And he brings trick plays.... which players like - a lot of long term BC Lions might have forgotten the fun you get from those things.

3 Down Nation says the Cats wanted him back. He was demoted from DC and his contract didn't allow the club to force him to work so he left for the rest of the year. IIRC he called Marc Trestman for advice and MT said don't take another role but move on.

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/19/forme ... b-c-lions/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy