Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm
I am predicting that next week or it might be after the GC, Wally announces his retirement and appoints Neil McEvoy the GM. At this point it is the only thing that makes sense.
That would certainly be a good start.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
I am predicting that next week or it might be after the GC, Wally announces his retirement and appoints Neil McEvoy the GM. At this point it is the only thing that makes sense.
And with that Geroy likely promoted into Neil's old position which could lead to Ryan Phillips having a bigger, perhaps full-time role.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
leo4life
All Star

Dont forget Bouno has a 6month contract as a consultant so that could lead to more meddling if he does retire...
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:08 pm
DanoT wrote:
I agree. I would prefer Ed Hervey, but it is impossible to go through a proper search and hiring process under the circumstances. That leaves Wally or Neil, and I think Wally walks away (from the gm/coaching roles at least).
You need a builder on and off the field. Someone who can promote this franchise.
Ed Hervey comes with a chips on his shoulders and a bag as large as Santa's for replacements.

Wally will likely be the GM and HC next year as Braley is a believer in this guy and also the view that if you mess it up, you fix it.

What this would mean is that he'd need new assistants as the OC and DC to sell the product. At least one has to go or demote.

Would Wally try to pull another rabbit out of the hat? Last one didn't work but ....?

1. get Esks to let him talk to Mike Benevides as HC.

2. get Wpg to let him talk to LaPo.

3. go crazy and ask Jeff Garcia to be be his HC or Asst' HC and OC.

4. Make Lulay his OC ... not so likely....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
leo4life
All Star

GM:Neil Mcavoy
HC/OC:Lapo
DC:Noel Thorpe
ST:Ryan Phillips
New OL coach
leo4life
All Star

Also Bouno should try to bring back Barrin Miles...very smart player surprised he hasnt become a DC yet
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Leo4Life's choices:

New OL coach

In response to this, I do not see Lapolice coming here for no one knows how long Braley will own team. He may sell after 2018 season and new owners will want to bring in their own people. So essentially, we have a lame duck situation here again for another year, for everyone knows Braley must sell. We are not going to attract top candidates for no way someone comes here for what could be just one year, unless they have a guaranteed contract and will get paid if they are fired, which I cannot see happening.

I think Lapolice stays in Winnipeg for another year. I think Buono will stay on at least as GM, for Braley will ask him to.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm
Leo4Life's choices:

New OL coach

In response to this, I do not see Lapolice coming here for no one knows how long Braley will own team. He may sell after 2018 season and new owners will want to bring in their own people. So essentially, we have a lame duck situation here again for another year, for everyone knows Braley must sell. We are not going to attract top candidates for no way someone comes here for what could be just one year, unless they have a guaranteed contract and will get paid if they are fired, which I cannot see happening.

I think Lapolice stays in Winnipeg for another year. I think Buono will stay on at least as GM, for Braley will ask him to.
Might as well add Kelly Bates as the O line coach to the fantasy coaching staff. He is currently coaching in Usports, I think.

Any HC that signs with Lions will end up with at least guaranteed 3 year contract, so an ownership change, part way through the contract is less of an issue than some people think. And if a new HC turns things around or makes progress in that regard then a new owner is less likely to want changes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There are questions in Winnipeg about the future of head coach Mike O’Shea and defensive coordinator Richie Hall after the latest Bomber meltdown. I think O’Shea is safe but I wouldn't want either of them here. O’Shea is a reckless gambler who comes up short in big games. Hall is the architect of soft defences that give up big yards in key situations. His secondary had more busted coverages than the Lions this year and gave up more passing yards than any team.
leo4life
All Star

Bombers still made the playoffs and O'Shea schooled Bouno again on ST...as far as Hall goes he has won a Grey Cup as a DC which Washington cant yet claim with his similar soft zone D
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 pm
New OL coach
I would vote for this group.

Kelly Bates for OL coach.

LaPo could double as OC if he wants, or bring in an OC. Buck Pierce?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm
leo4life wrote:
New OL coach

I would rather have Ryan Phillips as secondary coach and hire Barron Miles as ST coordinator.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pierce is quite happy in Winnipeg. Besides, he has a restaurant to run.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:31 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm
leo4life wrote:
New OL coach

I would rather have Ryan Phillips as secondary coach and hire Barron Miles as ST coordinator.
Either way. Miles and Phillips are both good football men.

A very workable concept. I think the people named might go for it. Thorpe might want Associate HC status. Would Wally allow this to happen? We will see.

As a side note, hothead Jason Maas is looking competent as a Head Coach, on field behaviour excluded.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:07 pm
Might as well add Kelly Bates as the O line coach to the fantasy coaching staff. He is currently coaching in Usports, I think.
Bates certainly could be looking for new work soon. He's currently in NCAA Div II football as HC of the SFU Clan. The Clan has yet to win a game in the 3 seasons under Bates going 0-29 while being outscored by a staggering 1365-321. They actually had decent bookends to the 2017 season starting out with a 34-28 loss and finishing with a 24-21 loss this past weekend. The latter may have been a sympathy effort by Western Oregon given they put up 82 points against the Clan up on Burnaby Mountain earlier in the season. In between though? 0-8 losing by an average of 62-7. :shock:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.